PDA

View Full Version : Stainless Steel or Chrome Lined?

insin
02-21-2006, 8:22 PM
I have been looking at various manufacturers websites and some offer SS barrels while some offer (what seems to be standard) chrome lined barrels. Is there any added benifit to getting a SS one over a chrome one? Would this have to do with maintainence, accuracy in shooting, or merely a cosmetic thing?

I have searched and didnt find the appropriate thread.
Thanks,
~Dj

Gnote
02-21-2006, 8:25 PM
I would think with SS the outside of the barrel is less prone to rust as well as the inside.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but I thought SS was better for accuracy. CL can be very accurate but takes a lot of TLC to get it done.

phish
02-21-2006, 8:27 PM
It depends on what kind of upper you want: blaster or dime hitting

If you just want to blast with milsurp, chrome is the way to go. Stainless steel or chome moly barrels are used by the benchrest/precision junkies.

Chrome cleans up easier and is more corrosion resistant than even stainless. Stainless is kind of a misnomer, it's really stain "resistant". :cool:

bu-bye
02-21-2006, 8:28 PM
SS for a long range tight groups. CL for a up close, in the swamp battle rifles.

phish
02-21-2006, 8:29 PM
^

check out the sticky at the top of this sub-forum :D

insin
02-21-2006, 8:38 PM
^

check out the sticky at the top of this sub-forum :D

Thank you for the direction. Very informing. I now have another question...

What is the purpose of an M4 barrel if one is not planning a grenade launcher as the sticky implies?

bu-bye
02-21-2006, 8:45 PM
What is the purpose of an M4 barrel if one is not planning a grenade launcher as the sticky implies?

Looks

and a little lighter but nothing to write home about

C.G.
02-21-2006, 8:52 PM
Another view of chrome lined barrels:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=266077