PDA

View Full Version : Class III permit question

Alphahookups
02-21-2006, 6:43 PM
Assuming a person was able to get a class III weapons permit, would they be able to get any weapon thats NFA or otherwise? For example would I be able to get a semi9 auto MP5 clone, or would I have to get an actual full auto MP5?

Sorry, I know it sounds dumb but I was thinking of jumping through the hoops with hopes that I would be able to get regular non NFA weapons that still arent available here.

Thanks

ohsmily
02-21-2006, 6:48 PM
What county do you live in?

I don't think you will be able to get a Class III permit.

blkA4alb
02-21-2006, 6:51 PM
my understanding is that a class 3 license is like the "top of the line." and that you can get class 3 and anything under that. im sure most of us on here would die for a class 3:D. not that we would be able to here in the prk.

Alphahookups
02-21-2006, 7:02 PM
San Diego county. What are the requirements to get one?

xenophobe
02-21-2006, 7:15 PM
I was a Class 3 shortly in 1989 before Roberti-Roos passed, though I never got to use it. After that, I was denied permission to conduct business, so I basically cancelled my tax stamp and let my FFL expire. If I would have kept it, I would have been granfathered in. Now it's pretty much impossible to get one in California without good cause.

shopkeep
02-21-2006, 7:19 PM
I was a Class 3 shortly in 1989 before Roberti-Roos passed, though I never got to use it. After that, I was denied permission to conduct business, so I basically cancelled my tax stamp and let my FFL expire. If I would have kept it, I would have been granfathered in. Now it's pretty much impossible to get one in California without good cause.

Good Cause being defined as: either a state government agency or someone powerful and influential enough to remove a significant number of elected politicians from office if you so desired.

Mike Searson
02-21-2006, 7:28 PM
Good Cause being defined as: either a state government agency or someone powerful and influential enough to remove a significant number of elected politicians from office if you so desired.

Or if you're in the film industry and the guns are used in the movies.

In free America, you can get what you want...only thing that sucks is if you're not a Class 3 FFL you are limited to weapons made before 1986 when they closed the civilian registry. Hence the high prices.

Unless you transfer a registered auto sear and drop it into a post 1986 weapon. But the sears cost as much as the gun does!

saki302
02-21-2006, 7:38 PM
Even in a 'free' state it's not cheap to keep a class III ffl.

In CA it falls somewhere between 'wet dream' and 'keep dreaming'..

-Dave

Alphahookups
02-21-2006, 7:40 PM
damn that sucks

shopkeep
02-21-2006, 7:53 PM

In free America, you can get what you want...only thing that sucks is if you're not a Class 3 FFL you are limited to weapons made before 1986 when they closed the civilian registry. Hence the high prices.

Unless you transfer a registered auto sear and drop it into a post 1986 weapon. But the sears cost as much as the gun does!

It's even near impossible for film industry folks to get Class IIIs now. Instead there are movie permits that allow them to "borrow" or "use" in the presence of an armorer... who is someone who has a class III with the blessing of the corrupt state.

pieeater
02-21-2006, 8:53 PM
My buddy has one, it only covers NFA . You need a CA AW permit for the semi's.I'm pretty sure you need an actual working business to have one..I've known 3 people here with class 3s they were all pretty small shops. I dont think they are as hard to get as you think , you just need a business.

If you want to actualy own the stuff you need to move or set up a dual residency. NFA is big bucks 15 grand for ONE 20 year old MP-5 and they are not getting cheaper.

Alphahookups
02-22-2006, 6:30 AM
it only covers NFA . You need a CA AW permit for the semi's.

That is pretty much what I thought. I guess that makes sense...you can get approved to have full auto guns, but cannot possess semi auto ones....:rolleyes:

If you want to actualy own the stuff you need to move or set up a dual residency. NFA is big bucks 15 grand for ONE 20 year old MP-5 and they are not getting cheaper.

I never was really going to get a NFA weapon because they are so expensive, but I was hoping that you would be able to get normal AR's and such....Isnt that BS! I have to jump through hoops just to get guns that people in every other state can get....:mad:

glen avon
02-22-2006, 7:45 AM

actually, it's become so bad that hollywood gun wranglers are getting out of the business.

artherd
02-22-2006, 8:39 AM
A semi mp5 would be an SBR, not a machinegun.

(so no you still couldn't have it)

Assuming a person was able to get a class III weapons permit, would they be able to get any weapon thats NFA or otherwise? For example would I be able to get a semi9 auto MP5 clone, or would I have to get an actual full auto MP5?

Sorry, I know it sounds dumb but I was thinking of jumping through the hoops with hopes that I would be able to get regular non NFA weapons that still arent available here.

Thanks

Alphahookups
02-22-2006, 1:57 PM
A semi mp5 would be an SBR, not a machinegun.

(so no you still couldn't have it)

Ah the irony.....well I guess Kali breaks all the molds and the true irony would be if something actually made sense.

ldivinag
02-22-2006, 4:41 PM
as one class 3 dealer from the midwest (i found him on fullauto.com) told me over the phone when i asked him:

me: yeah, i need some info about class 3 stuff. i'm in kalifor...

him: HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA....

me: thanks. <click>