PDA

View Full Version : Another C&R Question

slowjonn
02-21-2006, 6:31 PM
If I have a C&R and a COE, can I go into a gun store and buy a C&R rifle without the ten day wait? Provided they are willing.

Rumpled
02-21-2006, 6:47 PM
Yep, there's even a checkbox on the form for the exemption.

gunshack
02-21-2006, 6:48 PM
If I have a C&R and a COE, can I go into a gun store and buy a C&R rifle without the ten day wait? Provided they are willing.

Yes, even a C&R pistol. The COE is what allowes you to do that, the C&R alone would not. You can buy more than one handgun per 30 days, too. But if it's a new gun you still have to put in your ten days' wait.

slowjonn
02-21-2006, 8:52 PM
Thanks, that is what I thought. I was down in San Diego at SoCal Guns selling a P22 to another Calguns guy. They had a very good selection of both new and C&R guns for sale.

They had a Remington Rand 45 that was really tugging at me. When I asked if they would do a C&R sale (wave the wait because I have both C&R and COE), the guy in charge flat out said NO.

He said I had to have four things for that to happen. I can't recall all four but three were the C&R, COE and something like a dealers permit(?). He said the only thing a C&R does for you in California was allow you to import C&R's from out of state. He further said that the C&R in California was pretty much useless because you couldn't use it for an in-state C&R purchase, you have to wait the 10 days.

Needless to say I didn't argue with him, it was his store and he gave the impression that he could not be educated. Too bad, I would have taken the Rem Rand and one of the K31's he had there.:(

TonyNorCal
02-21-2006, 8:57 PM
Yes, that's accurate.

Unfortunately, some gun stores (at least local to me) are unwilling to do this. I think in some misguided way they see it as a liability protection thing. One store employee told me that the DOJ told him it wasn't allowed:rolleyes: .

Sometimes in California it's convincing a gun dealer that something is legal that is the greatest battle. And, it's really a bit annoying because I would think that gun dealers should a.) know the law/regulations and b.) be willing to let us exercise what's left of our Second Ammendment Rights to the best of our ability. But, perhaps I am just naive.

EOD Guy
02-22-2006, 5:39 AM
Yes, that's accurate.

Unfortunately, some gun stores (at least local to me) are unwilling to do this. I think in some misguided way they see it as a liability protection thing. One store employee told me that the DOJ told him it wasn't allowed:rolleyes: .

Sometimes in California it's convincing a gun dealer that something is legal that is the greatest battle. And, it's really a bit annoying because I would think that gun dealers should a.) know the law/regulations and b.) be willing to let us exercise what's left of our Second Ammendment Rights to the best of our ability. But, perhaps I am just naive.

I had a delaer tell me the same thing. He said DOJ told him the 10 day wait could only be waived for rifles or shotguns. I wrote DOJ and received an answer in less than a week. They said the waiting period is waived for all C&R firearms if the purchaser has both a C&R FFL and a COE.