PDA

View Full Version : AR 15-good deal?

Matt C
02-21-2006, 4:55 PM
I recently built an AR lower, and I have been looking for a good deal on an upper. I plan to shoot mostly ss109 ammo through it and I was looking for a basic standard A3/A4 with a chromed 20in barrel. Well I got this offer and I don't know if its a good deal-
a DPMS HIRISE upper with a 22 Wilson stainless steel bull barrel, hogue free float tube with charging handle bolt and bolt carrier. Had a picatinny gas block. $525
Also I'm not really clear on what is meant by "Had a picatinny gas block".
I am not a real expert on ARs so I am deferring to the experts here. I know the ar15 forum has more info on things like this but I don't know that forum as well. If it is a good deal I will get it, I'm not really feeling picky I just want a good deal, and something I can shoot right away. Thanks.

maxicon
02-21-2006, 6:33 PM
I'd recommend avoiding a high-rise upper for your first build, as it limits the flexibility. You can always add a riser to get the same configuration.

They probably mean "has a Picatinny gas block". These are good for mounting various front sights.

I got a bull barrel upper for my first, and looking back, I'd have gotten something lighter and more manageable. I got that for my second one, instead...

As far as price goes, I don't think that's particularly good, but I'm a cheapskate.

max