PDA

View Full Version : anyone hunt at Putah Creek Wildlife Area?

Hornet_RN
04-14-2010, 10:05 PM
hey ya'lls...

i was thinking about doing some jackrabbit and ground squirrel hunting with my trusty .22 bolt action rifle, so i'm thinking about checking Putah Creek Wildlife Area near Lake Berryessa tomorrow.

has anybody hunted out there? how was your experience?

can we shoot rifles there, or is it a shotgun only hunting area?

do i have to use lead free ammo and shotshells here? (i don't think it's condor zone)

did anybody find game out there? i was planning to go there again to catch the end of spring turkey season.

thanks hunters,
hornet_rn

77bawls
04-14-2010, 10:46 PM
I was thinking about heading up there this weekend. I was going to check out there and the blm land on the other side of the lake.

Hornet_RN
04-14-2010, 11:11 PM
I was thinking about heading up there this weekend. I was going to check out there and the blm land on the other side of the lake.

sounds great, i'll try and give a scouting report when i come back from tomorrow. if i find this place to be good for some squirrel hunting, i'll come back again on friday. or maybe i'll try my hand at turkey hunting with my shotgun instead? hmm...sounds fun!

77bawls
04-14-2010, 11:30 PM
I don't have my license so I'm not going to be hunting. I was thinking about bringing my new gun and seeing how the sights are. I'll probably bring my camera to see if I can get any good shots. I was thinking about getting a call to see if I can get any critters to take some pictures of.

napahunter
04-15-2010, 10:55 AM
I'd be careful in the Putah creek area. there are a BUNCH of hippy hikers that are there. You'll see when you get there. there is a parking area across the road, and on the weekends it's packed..With hikers. Not a good place to go in my opinion.

Hornet_RN
04-15-2010, 11:24 AM
I'd be careful in the Putah creek area. there are a BUNCH of hippy hikers that are there. You'll see when you get there. there is a parking area across the road, and on the weekends it's packed..With hikers. Not a good place to go in my opinion.

yeah, i was just there, but luckily no hippie hikers were there when i got there this morning! thanks for the heads up though.

anyways, as of a scouting report, i could really seem to find any game that was in season while i was there. i couldn't find one darn turkey or squirrel. i did run into two does, beautiful animals. but yeah, the fact that there are hippie hikers there and rough terrain makes me not want to go back...hah

taperxz
04-15-2010, 12:07 PM

++++1000 I think that is pretty much an ohv type area also so there may be lots of bikes. At least last time i was up there. If you want a sure fire place to go i would drive the extra 45 min to an hour and go to cow mountain or the Mendo Natl. forest. JMO

DiRTY DOG
04-19-2010, 9:30 PM
Putah Creek Wildlife Area is only open for hunting from deer season until January 31!!! Check the regulations.

BigDogatPlay
04-19-2010, 9:34 PM
The whole Knoxville BLM area was closed to all informal target shooting in 2008. Do not go up there to plink. I posted a link to the BLM memo in another thread, I should go find it again.

Hunting is date limited as noted above, and the other side of the lake is still, IIRC, working graze land. This time of year it's hiking / biking, OHV and thats about it.

Boggs Mountain State Demonstration Forest in Lake County has a designated shooting area and is open to hunting. It would be a lot closer to the OP than Cow Mountain. Boggs is managed by CalFire, overview and contact info here. (http://www.fire.ca.gov/resource_mgt/resource_mgt_stateforests_boggsmtn.php)

virahunter
11-26-2012, 12:55 PM
Hi all, has any one gone out for tree squirrels hunting in Putar Creek Wild Life area this year yet? I hunt around Westpoint, CA, and it is snowing heavily. I am thinking about going to Putar Creek this December. any suggestion? thx

lewdogg21
11-26-2012, 1:01 PM
Personally I'd go somewhere else. It's a ***** to hike up to where you can hunt and very steep.

Scottie15
11-27-2012, 11:22 AM
Personally I'd go somewhere else. It's a ***** to hike up to where you can hunt and very steep.

This +hippy tree huggers +lots of poison oak = don't go!

The leaves have dropped off most, if not all, the poison oak around Berryessa by this time of year, so be super careful not to rub against any twigs, branches, etc.

lewdogg21
11-27-2012, 4:07 PM
I got oak so bad.from there i went to tbe Dr. TWICE!

virahunter
12-10-2012, 2:21 PM
lewdogg21, thx for your advice. I will try Bogg State Forest

rooster85
12-10-2012, 2:44 PM
Boggs aint bad. Its a nice area to hike and there's a range out there as well. Used to be some crazy parties there years ago too....

virahunter
12-13-2012, 7:03 AM
I just got back from Boggs. it was nice! terrain is not so steep. many walking trails around the area. You can just camp on a campground, leave your car on a camp ground and scout/hike out

boomer135
12-13-2012, 1:29 PM
marking your way through thick brush and high climbs are not any fun. I have been up there and I don't think I'll go back. plus near the river is very populated with fisherman, and hikers. I don't care if I scare the hikers, but I don't want to screw up someone fishing.

Take the drive to knoxville, much better area. you make make the trek as tough or easy as you want. LOTS of land to work around there also. I plan to do some scouting there this X-mas. for piggies, and turkey.

Jack1939
12-13-2012, 11:46 PM
I talked to a guy once who was hunting putah creek wildlife area and came across a pot grow. He said the growers surprised him and got the draw on him. He had a gun pointed at his chest but he talked them into letting him go, but that was a number of years ago and could happen anywhere...