PDA

View Full Version : Carry a handgun in holster at the range?

techenigma
02-21-2006, 3:29 PM
I always was of the knowledge that if you're at a gun range you could carry a handgun in a holster on your belt. I never have actually but was considering it in the near future but an experience at the range yesterday got me thinking otherwise.
I was on the line set up at my table and to my left were two other tables. Middle table had a guy shooting rifles and such and the very last one were two guys with a revolver and some rifles, one of them was wearing a holster but the gun was on the table. Well a little while goes by and suddenly I see the guy at the next table glance over and suddenly get up and walk to the range officer. He comes back with the range officer in tow and approach the guy with the holster, which now has the revolver in it. The range officer talks to the holster guy and then explains to the other gentleman that he is a M.P and is OK, and then asks the M.P to show the guy is ID which he does.
Now my question here is why this guy went to the range officer in the first place, and why did the range officer check the holster carriers ID?

Basic question here is if it is legal or not to carry a non-concealed holstered handgun while at the range?

ohsmily
02-21-2006, 3:32 PM
it isn't a matter of law, it is a matter of range policy.

Check the range rules for your particular range or check with the lead RO.

EBWhite
02-21-2006, 3:37 PM
im guessing this is the los angeles gun range in sun valley area???

I hate that place.

adamsreeftank
02-21-2006, 3:39 PM
Most ranges won't allow holsters due to the rules of no loaded gun behind the firing line, etc. Some allow LEO to carry, but some don't. An LE friend of mine will drive an extra hour to shoot at an LE friendly range after getting hastled at the local ranges.

gmcem50
02-21-2006, 3:42 PM
it isn't a matter of law, it is a matter of range policy.

Check the range rules for your particular range or check with the lead RO.

Why wouldn't it be a matter of the law? CA law prohibits open carry in counties with a population over 200,000, and allows it in counties with less than 200,000 only with a permit. O.P. didn't state which county he was in, but I'm guessing that was not the issue.

shopkeep
02-21-2006, 3:42 PM
It completely depends on the range. I rarely spend much time at ranges that won't let me open carry. Of course common sense is always going to apply. Don't walk past the firing line with a weapon of any kind at any time.

grammaton76
02-21-2006, 3:51 PM
Personally, I leave my holster empty unless I'm at the firing lane.

I've heard of some folks getting hassled for having a shoulder holster because the process of drawing may fan other folks. However, I imagine that it's a matter of individual RSO policy, and if you happen to be a regular and they don't see you acting improperly, they're not likely to harrass you.

PanzerAce
02-21-2006, 3:54 PM
Why wouldn't it be a matter of the law? CA law prohibits open carry in counties with a population over 200,000, and allows it in counties with less than 200,000 only with a permit. O.P. didn't state which county he was in, but I'm guessing that was not the issue.

could you point my at that law? I have heard this before, but never been able to actually track it down.

gmcem50
02-21-2006, 3:56 PM
could you point my at that law? I have heard this before, but never been able to actually track it down.

I read it in the CRPA's handbook of CA gun laws. It is also stated on Packing.org's CA page. I will have to do some searching on the AG or DOJ websited to find a code ref.

EBWhite
02-21-2006, 3:59 PM
He is right about the 200,000 open carry law. However, this applies to public property. ie. walking down the street, public places. A range, your home, a business is all private places. Business owners or workers (with permission) may carry on their own property. You can carry on your property, in front of your house as long as you stay on your lawn...

ohsmily
02-21-2006, 4:01 PM

It wouldn't be a matter of law b/c ranges are usually private property or at least controlled by a private entity. Carry laws don't apply to private property. Therefore, it is up to the ownership/management as to whether or not you can carry...

thats why...

gmcem50
02-21-2006, 4:10 PM
It wouldn't be a matter of law b/c ranges are usually private property or at least controlled by a private entity. Carry laws don't apply to private property. Therefore, it is up to the ownership/management as to whether or not you can carry...

thats why...

Geez, I was thinking the private property thing meant MY house or My business, not someone else's. Ok, I get it now. Thanks for the clarification.:o

Pthfndr
02-21-2006, 5:20 PM
Most ranges won't allow holsters due to the rules of no loaded gun behind the firing line, etc. Some allow LEO to carry, but some don't.

The above is generally the case.

At the range I frequent most. On the regular public pistol range, the rules say no drawing from a holster to shoot - for safety reasons.

If you want to draw from a holster, join the club, and then you can use the action pistol bays, where they have paper and steel targets - and big concrete walls.

When it comes to CCW loaded, it's just that - concealed carry. No reason you should be drawing it. They will allow people with a CCW to carry on the oublic range, but ask that they declare it when they check in so they know who the good guys - and gals - are, and who might be a hazard to other shooters.

As far as LEO, they have to adhere to the same rules as everyone else. No loaded, open carry firearms in holsters on the public range.

It's the same reason you don't carry an uncased, loaded rifle onto the range with the action closed.

It's just a lowest common denominator safety thing. If you were down range would YOU want to take the chance that someone coming in behind you might pull their gun out and inadvertantly let one fly?

Didn't think so.

BigAL
02-21-2006, 5:29 PM
I never carried a pistol in a holster once while at a gun range since I lived in CA. Since moving out to Louisiana it's become second nature. In fact most of the people I shoot pistols with draw from holsters. A lot of it has to do with these guys being heavy IPSC shooters and also with people having CCWs, so they show up armed with a gun in a holster and leave the same way. Carrying a gun for protection but not being able to draw from a holster and practice sucks big time.

Rumpled
02-21-2006, 5:47 PM

I thought this was only in incorporated areas, gotta go look it up.

LOW2000
02-21-2006, 9:23 PM
As much as the law may say it, you'd probably get arrested anyway for brandishing a weapon. But oh how nice would it be to have my Mossy 500 slung over my back when I was in bad areas.

bodyarmorguy27
02-21-2006, 9:41 PM
As much as the law may say it, you'd probably get arrested anyway for brandishing a weapon. But oh how nice would it be to have my Mossy 500 slung over my back when I was in bad areas.

In order to get arrested for brandishing you have to satisfy the RAT (Rude, Angry or Threatening).

gose
02-21-2006, 10:14 PM
I thought this was only in incorporated areas, gotta go look it up.

What is needed to get a permit? Quite a few counties that are under 200k...

Calaveras, Lake, Madera, El Dorado, Shasta, Sutter, Kings, Amador, Napa, San Benito, Yuba, Imperial, Colusa, Tehama, Nevada, Tuolumne, Mariposa, Trinity, Glenn, Mendocino, Inyo, Plumas, Del Norte, Humboldt, Mono, Siskiyou, Lassen, Alpine, Modoc, Sierra

gose
02-21-2006, 10:52 PM
You have to be a resident of that county to get a carry permit from that county. Just a PO box is not sufficient. Typical proof requires electrical bills, rental contracts, real estate property, and such.

If I remember right (and I'm really really foggy on this), you have to have a CCW permit in order to carry openly. Can someone who has more time check this? I'm busy with other stuff tonight.

Oh, ok, makes sense. I got the idea that there was another "open carry permit" you could get.

blkA4alb
02-21-2006, 10:55 PM
i was just thinking about how it would be if everyone was allowed to carry any gun they wanted in public. people walking around with shotguns and rifles, maybe even a .50 or 2:D. it would sure make muggers think twice knowing that people all around are packing some serious heat, it would also make a bank robbers getaway a little more stressful. *click clack*:rolleyes:

accordingtoome
02-21-2006, 10:59 PM
are you sure you can carry on your front lawn?? i like to smoke ciggs at night and a lot of getto people walk by at like 3 or 4 in the morning. (gang types, crack heads, taggers) it would be nice to have my XD with me while standing on the porch. :D

EBWhite
02-21-2006, 11:49 PM
Well, brandishing would mean you are waving it around and acting like a jackass. If you are standing on your porch and smoking and have your sidearm, go ahead, your property and they cannot do a thing. Pull it out and start pointing it at things and people, then you will go down for brandishing.

remember, we cannot be scared if your doing nothing wrong.

accordingtoome
02-22-2006, 1:21 AM
wow thats great to know.. I have a back holster i can stick it in and i have no plans on waving it arround. But its nice to know its there:D

ohhhhh happy days

el_hombre70
02-22-2006, 6:39 AM
I'm a heavy IPSC/Steel Challenge shooter so I'll chime in. Any match I've ever been too is a cold range. You may carry holstered/unloaded but the second you touch that gun without the RO's permision, you are DQ'd. The ONLY exception is in the safe handling area. I'd never go to a range I couldn't carry holstered:cool:

glen avon
02-22-2006, 8:46 AM
Why wouldn't it be a matter of the law?

because the range can say "if you want to shoot here, no hoslters."

rips31
02-22-2006, 10:06 AM
at the range i go to, they don't allow draw/fire from holster unless you are a leo.