PDA

View Full Version : Building up my AR-15.... Need Advice on these parts

RevTekniques
02-21-2006, 2:36 PM
I stopped by Reed's Indoor Range and spoke to them about building my AR-15. I picked up a Vulcan stripped lower from The Santa Clara Fairgrounds Gun Show. I'm planning to affix a 10round mag to it (which will require a tool to remove). :) Let me know if any of this stuff is illegal.

So Reed's was telling me to get:

WIlson's 16" upper - $675
Grip Panels (3) - $45
Pistol Grip - $50
Sight - $140
Fire Control Group - $75
Adjustable Buttstock - $179
Fixed Rail - $200

So this comes out to about $1350 or so.

I have absolutely NO experience what-so-ever about building an AW. Any advice, brand recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I've seen these group-buys for cheaper on the uppers, but Reed's is claiming that some of these group buys are for parts that arent that good, that wil jam, that we rejects from other lines, etc... (probably just trying to make a sale, but...)

I am building this for use within 200 yards. No hunting, more for the ranges, Advanced Weapon Tactics courses, and CQB (if ever necessary). No long range hunting or anything like that...

What are your thoughts?

blkA4alb
02-21-2006, 2:56 PM
anyone gonna do a group buy on the ace m4 socom collapsable stock? the short model? one of the best looking stocks imo

RevTekniques
02-21-2006, 3:08 PM
You're total is about $300 too high.

Look around this site for group buys on RRA, LMT, CMMG and Delton Uppers, Lower Parts Kits and Buttstocks.

Check member "tenpercentfirearms" prices.

Thanks! Definitely good to know!

RevTekniques
02-21-2006, 9:07 PM
What do you guys think about High Standard as a company? I heard that Colt bought them out and are distributing their parts???

A store said that I could build my AR with High Standard parts for a total of less than $700. What are the opinions of High Standard?

Jon
02-21-2006, 9:18 PM
TDI - Grip Panels (3) - $45
TDI - Pistol Grip - $50
Troy or ARMS - Sight - $140
?? - Fire Control Group - $75
VLTOR - Adjustable Buttstock - $179
SureFire - Fixed Rail - $200

I took the liberty of guessing which companies they are suggesting, based on what they stock. If this is the case, they are all quality parts, IMHO.

Now, as to whether you're willing to spend the money. . .that's for you to decide. With larger items (upper, rail/forearm), I'm inclined to go with tenpercentfirearms.com or similar from ar15.com. I will purchase some of the smaller items like the BUIS, panels, grips, etc. from them, to help support local outfits that I frequent.

maxicon
02-22-2006, 9:41 AM
What do you guys think about High Standard as a company? I heard that Colt bought them out and are distributing their parts???

A store said that I could build my AR with High Standard parts for a total of less than $700. What are the opinions of High Standard?

High Standard has been the name of a number of different company variations over the years. The old, original High Standard made good quality inexpensive guns - mostly .22 revolvers, .22 semi-auto pistols, and pump shotguns. Since then, they've been through their ups and downs, and their reputation has been up for discussion.

I wasn't aware they made AR parts. That would be yet another incarnation for them.

Personally, I'd stick with either a respectable name brand like Bushy, DPMS, Colt, etc, or would go with a kit company with a good reputation like JT Distributing or DelTon.

max

DrjonesUSA
02-22-2006, 2:35 PM
Grip Panels (3) - $45

Sight - $140

Fire Control Group - $75

Fixed Rail - $200

What are those parts above? "Grip Panels"? Why do you need 3 of them?

"Fire Control Group"? You mean the Lower Parts Kit?

"Sight"? "Fixed rail"??

If I were you, I'd just do this: http://www.rockriverarms.com/item-detail.cfm?ID=AR4001&storeid=1&image=kcara4.gif&CFID=9815733&CFTOKEN=27545790

RRA is top-quality stuff, and that kit for $620 ($660 with Chrome bbl, which I recommend) gives you EVERYTHING you need:

- Barrelled upper (no assembly required; just pin it onto your lower)
- Lower Parts Kit with pistol grip (Even comes with the National Match trigger!)
- 6-position collapsible stock

IMO, that's the best deal out there....or you could go here for the same thing, just not RRA parts: http://www.del-ton.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=80

Very good company and products, from all I've read. Depending on the configuration you get, you could save $150 over the RRA setup.

Anyhow, I'd just get one of the complete kits.

By the time you factor in research, shipping, your time, etc. trying to piece a rifle together, your cost is higher than just getting one of the kits.

If you like to research and buy each individual part, go for it.

Otherwise a complete kit is the way to go.

DrjonesUSA
02-22-2006, 2:39 PM
I have absolutely NO experience what-so-ever about building an AW.

Just a nitpick, but since you are a newbie; there is no such thing as an "assault weapon". It is a term that has been completely fabricated by the anti-gunners to advance their gun-banning agenda.

It is an utterly meaningless term.

There are such things as assault RIFLES, but not assault weapons.

The AR-type weapon system is a carbine.

mltrading
02-22-2006, 2:48 PM
I stopped by Reed's Indoor Range and spoke to them about building my AR-15. I picked up a Vulcan stripped lower from The Santa Clara Fairgrounds Gun Show. I'm planning to affix a 10round mag to it (which will require a tool to remove). :) Let me know if any of this stuff is illegal.

So Reed's was telling me to get:

Grip Panels (3) - $45
Pistol Grip - $50
Sight - $140
Fire Control Group - $75
Adjustable Buttstock - $179
Fixed Rail - $200

So this comes out to about $1350 or so.

I have absolutely NO experience what-so-ever about building an AW. Any advice, brand recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I've seen these group-buys for cheaper on the uppers, but Reed's is claiming that some of these group buys are for parts that arent that good, that wil jam, that we rejects from other lines, etc... (probably just trying to make a sale, but...)

I am building this for use within 200 yards. No hunting, more for the ranges, Advanced Weapon Tactics courses, and CQB (if ever necessary). No long range hunting or anything like that...

What are your thoughts?

It's quite difficult to meet your requirements.:p The 200 yards set up is not good for CQB, vice versa.

If you are going for 200 yards range gun, you might need 20" BBL with free float forearm. You don't need a lot of gears to make your rifle a Xmas tree, you don't even need fancy flip-up sights, either. Standard FSB and A2 rear sight will do the work very well.

If you are going for CQB, you might need 16" BBL or shorter. You will have tons of gear options. You of course need rails and adjustable buttstocks.

It all depends on you. My suggestion is, go to ARFCOM to see more examples for different set-up and ask questions. Then you will find out what configuration is better for you.:)

stator
02-22-2006, 3:28 PM
What are those parts above? "Grip Panels"? Why do you need 3 of them?

"Fire Control Group"? You mean the Lower Parts Kit?

"Sight"? "Fixed rail"??

If I were you, I'd just do this: http://www.rockriverarms.com/item-detail.cfm?ID=AR4001&storeid=1&image=kcara4.gif&CFID=9815733&CFTOKEN=27545790

RRA is top-quality stuff, and that kit for $620 ($660 with Chrome bbl, which I recommend) gives you EVERYTHING you need:

- Barrelled upper (no assembly required; just pin it onto your lower)
- Lower Parts Kit with pistol grip (Even comes with the National Match trigger!)
- 6-position collapsible stock

IMO, that's the best deal out there....or you could go here for the same thing, just not RRA parts: http://www.del-ton.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=80

Very good company and products, from all I've read. Depending on the configuration you get, you could save $150 over the RRA setup.

Anyhow, I'd just get one of the complete kits.

By the time you factor in research, shipping, your time, etc. trying to piece a rifle together, your cost is higher than just getting one of the kits.

If you like to research and buy each individual part, go for it.

Otherwise a complete kit is the way to go.

Grip panels are usually for tactical hand guards. If that collapsible stock is a VLTOR, then this guy is going all out for a CBQ/Tactical M4-style at those prices.

If you want to compare pricing, go to AR15.com and into the equipment exchange. There are internet sellers with pricing. Since these parts are not legally a firearm, you can buy them direct over the internet without a FFL license. Or, you could support your local store. Either way, it is up to you.

DrjonesUSA
02-22-2006, 3:30 PM
Or, you could support your local store.

Are there any stores in CA that stock AR parts? Besides LEO-targeted shops, that is...

RevTekniques
02-22-2006, 11:59 PM
Thanks a lot for the comment guys! I'll be doing a lot of researching within the links provided!:D

F4E Phantom
02-23-2006, 5:35 AM
I don't recommend the Stag?CMT lower kit, every item is okay but the stock trigger (not Nat'l Match) is just awful.

mike452
02-23-2006, 9:23 AM
Check out:
www.model1sales.com
www.m-aparts.com
www.rockriverarms.com

Not many local shops will have AR15 stuff since mostly LEO business until now.
I have never heard of High Standard until a few weeks ago.

sv_sniper
02-23-2006, 10:45 AM
The .223 forum has a Group Buy for LMT upper assemblies and Vltor Modstocks. :D