PDA

View Full Version : What is lawful re-loading process for rifles built w/un-listed lowers?

xrMike
02-21-2006, 1:25 PM
I'm "late to the table", so to speak, with these off-list lowers, trying to educate myself (by reading here) to stay within the bounds of the law after I pick up my first lower (Saturday!), and eventually build a complete rifle and take it to the range...

I read this in the AR/AK FAQ:

Only after a fixed low-capacity magazine is attached and screwed down should the pistol grip and/or folding or telestock be attached. Conversely, if the fixed magazine on the rifle needs to be removed for repair or cleaning, the pistol grip and/or telestock, folding stock or thumbhole stock must be removed first.

Okay, so assuming I have a pistol grip, telescoping buttstock, flashhider, and the rest of the so-called evil features on my future rifle, the immediate question that comes to my mind is ==> how do I reload the thing and stay lawful, if I can't remove the mag?

Is your only option to load the mag from the top while still attached to the rifle? How is this done? Is there a pin of some kind that attaches the receiver to the upper, which is pulled out, allowing the lower to pivot and expose the top of the mag for re-loading?

Or is this your other legal option ==> Removing all of your evil features, then removing the fixed mag, re-loading it, attaching it with a tool, and then re-attaching the evil features?

I've been reading for a couple hours now and haven't found a definite answer to these questions. Thanks for any answers to my newb questions.

insin
02-21-2006, 1:39 PM
This is a question that I have been wondering about also.

EBWhite
02-21-2006, 1:43 PM
On an AR, there is 2 takedown pins that seperate the upper from the lower. You pop out the rear pin and the gun folds open allowing access to the magazine. IMO this is a big waste of time and makes the gun not fun.

Run a detachable mag, and no evil featues.

-aK-
Is your only option to load the mag from the top while still attached to the rifle? How is this done? Is there a pin of some kind that attaches the receiver to the upper, which is pulled out, allowing the lower to pivot and expose the top of the mag for re-loading?

Yes, that is an option. There are two pins that hold the upper to the lower. If you remove the rear pin the entire upper will swing over forward. This is the method used for field stripping. If you google field stripping an AR-15 I'm sure you can find plenty of articles with pictures that show this.

Or is this your other legal option ==> Removing all of your evil features, then removing the fixed mag, re-loading it, attaching it with a tool, and then re-attaching the evil features?

Yup, this is your other legal option.

bwiese

The AR design has a barreled upper receiver, and a lower receiver that has the magazine and buttstock. They are connected by two pins: the rear "takedown pin", and the front "pivot pin".

Here, the lower receiver has a fixed 10rd nondetachable magazine. To reload you break open the action by pushing out the rear takedown pin, and then the rifle "scissors open" around the front pivot pin, exposing the innards of the lower receiver - and the top of the fixed nondetachable 10rd magazine. Load the ammo in, close the receiver and snap the takedown pin shut, and you're ready to cycle the action and shoot again...

-aK-
02-21-2006, 1:45 PM
Here is an excellent picture description for field stripping an AR

http://www.alpharubicon.com/leo/fieldstripar15exe.htm

mow
02-21-2006, 1:51 PM
Here is an excellent picture description for field stripping an AR

http://www.alpharubicon.com/leo/fieldstripar15exe.htm

LOL except that the rifle is not set to SAFE this is an excellent photo representation :p

xrMike
02-21-2006, 1:56 PM
Thanks guys; those were some fast responses!

I was able to piece together a somewhat accurate picture of the options, using the FAQ and bits and pieces from different threads...

Now I get the whole picture (including the "no banned features" option; that really simplifies things, hmmmm... ).

You've created a great resource here. I've wanted an AR for years -- a real one, not the Fab10 -- and I just stumbled onto this website by accident, and it looks my I'll finally get my wish. Very cool! Can't thank you folks enough.

-aK-
02-21-2006, 2:00 PM
Haha, Mow, you are right.

Mike, your welcome.

Now you need to sign the petition to ammend the CA constitution so we don't have to deal with any of this at all.

See my signature for a link.

wangankin
02-21-2006, 3:04 PM
I'm "late to the table", so to speak, with these off-list lowers, trying to educate myself (by reading here) to stay within the bounds of the law after I pick up my first lower (Saturday!), and eventually build a complete rifle and take it to the range...

I read this in the AR/AK FAQ:

Okay, so assuming I have a pistol grip, telescoping buttstock, flashhider, and the rest of the so-called evil features on my future rifle, the immediate question that comes to my mind is ==> how do I reload the thing and stay lawful, if I can't remove the mag?

I've been reading for a couple hours now and haven't found a definite answer to these questions. Thanks for any answers to my newb questions.

I dont want to wear my receivers holes out so I load through the ejection port... Its quite easy and dont have to worry about the muzzle flopping around. I just push the rounds into my magazine and fill her up.

ohsmily
02-21-2006, 8:14 PM
I dont want to wear my receivers holes out so I load through the ejection port... Its quite easy and dont have to worry about the muzzle flopping around. I just push the rounds into my magazine and fill her up.

That is a good alternative, especially if you are just running a bull barrel varmint upper for bench shooting. In that case, you don't even need to stuff the mag, just single load.

C.G.
02-21-2006, 8:23 PM
They say a picture is worth a thousand words:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=24654