PDA

View Full Version : anyone know a friendly place in the central valley to clear varmints?

slo5oh
02-21-2006, 2:18 PM
I live in the modesto area and would love to find a place like this. I hear there's lots of prairie dogs out in Oakdale.
I don't know the laws, so someone please correct me. If I'm shooting on someone's private land (with thier permission) and only killing "varmints" I don't need a hunting license right?

caduckgunner
02-21-2006, 2:38 PM
I don't think "prairie dogs" lived in California:confused: Must be ground squirrels. And Yes you have to have a hunting license to hunt squirrels and there is a season. Check here for lots of info http://www.dfg.ca.gov/wmd/index.html

slo5oh
02-21-2006, 4:48 PM
I don't think "prairie dogs" lived in California:confused: Must be ground squirrels. And Yes you have to have a hunting license to hunt squirrels and there is a season. Check here for lots of info http://www.dfg.ca.gov/wmd/index.html

I didn't either, but my father grew up in Oakdale and he told me recently that they get lots of prairie dogs out there. Maybe he's mixing them up with squirrels. I just looked through the site you linked and that seems very catered toward hunting on public land. I'm talking about hunting on a farmers land. If I owned several hundred acres or more I'd sure as hell be shooting squirrels on my own land without a "hunting" license.

Harbinger
02-21-2006, 5:18 PM
From what I was told at the Dept of Fish and Game, there is a season for TREE squirrels, but not for the California Ground Squirrel. They are considered 'varmints' and can be hunted w/o a license.

Mike

I didn't either, but my father grew up in Oakdale and he told me recently that they get lots of prairie dogs out there. Maybe he's mixing them up with squirrels. I just looked through the site you linked and that seems very catered toward hunting on public land. I'm talking about hunting on a farmers land. If I owned several hundred acres or more I'd sure as hell be shooting squirrels on my own land without a "hunting" license.

glen avon
02-21-2006, 6:16 PM
if you mean finding a farmer who wants you to do him a favor by shooting animals on his property, well, that's prolly the same one with a beautiful, lonely daughter....

please let us know if you find that place!!!

sohijiro
02-22-2006, 6:00 PM
there are groundhogs or whatever you call them in CA, i see them sometimes.

YES you do need a hunting license even if your shooting varmint/ non game animals. THIS I KNOW FOR SURE!!!!

Overkill
02-23-2006, 6:50 PM
License, yes. Hunting permit, no. Varmints (e.g. ground squirrels, coyotes) require no special permits and have no defined season. I'm planning on starting some coyote hunting soon...

Army
02-23-2006, 10:30 PM
Just to clarify the regulation: "A license is required to take/kill/hunt any fur bearing mammal".

Technically, this would include setting out mouse traps!

slo5oh
02-24-2006, 9:53 AM
Just to clarify the regulation: "A license is required to take/kill/hunt any fur bearing mammal".

Technically, this would include setting out mouse traps!

So I broke the law when I set traps for and killed the groundhogs in my backyard?

:(

glen avon
02-24-2006, 10:39 AM
fur bearing mammal does not mean all mammals sporting fur.

Army
02-24-2006, 7:18 PM
fur bearing mammal does not mean all mammals sporting fur.
I suppose you have never skinned out 452 mice to make a pair of fur-lined boxer shorts?

:eek::D:D:D

BigMac
03-02-2006, 4:59 PM
From what I was told at the Dept of Fish and Game, there is a season for TREE squirrels, but not for the California Ground Squirrel. They are considered 'varmints' and can be hunted w/o a license.

Mike

Not without a license. Trust me, it's in the regs. If it's got fur or feathers do not shoot it without a license in CA.

As to shooting on your own land. Guess what, Fish and game can come on your place anytime they want if the just think someone is hunting.

Ford8N
03-02-2006, 5:47 PM
All fish, reptiles, amphibia, birds and mammals are essentially California state property. No matter where they are. Don't ya just love this state. In Free America, the laws are different.

Shoot-it
03-02-2006, 10:12 PM
ground Squirrels are pests thats why your allowed too pioson them.I dont think you need a hunting lie to kill them.Farmers sometimes blow them up with propane..........:D

BigMac
03-03-2006, 9:43 AM
Yup they sure do poisen them and blow them up with propane.. but not shoot them.

If you get caught hunting without a license you can expect to get a ticket, loose your firearm or firearms and possibly your truck. Please feel free to contact fish and game yourself. Do not try to use logic to understand what is legal and what is not. This IS california.

theseacow
03-03-2006, 10:46 AM
BigMac is 100% correct here.

btw.. Bigmac- I have 2 pickups to do either this weekend or tuesday.

taloft
03-04-2006, 9:18 AM

Probably just Gophers.

glen avon
03-04-2006, 10:46 AM
gophers starved the russians out of california. interesting story.

Shoot-it
03-04-2006, 2:13 PM
Yes i remember my Hunters safety class .Shooting squirrels needs a hunting license,but do you think its really enforced....

RRangel
03-04-2006, 8:48 PM
If you are implying that you break the law DON"T DO IT HERE.

Yes i remember my Hunters safety class .Shooting squirrels needs a hunting license,but do you think its really enforced....