PDA

View Full Version : Complete AK kit

blkA4alb
02-21-2006, 11:33 AM
is there a kit that i can get for my AK lower reciever that include ALL the parts i would need to build it up? i just want the classic fixed stock AK, with a fixed mag though..for now. thanks for any help.

Top Cat
02-21-2006, 11:34 AM
Tapco Romanian...

blkA4alb
02-21-2006, 11:44 AM
Tapco Romanian...
the ones i see on their website have that weird looking reverse forward grip. this is what i want:D http://www.aa-ok.com/11122y.jpg

glen avon
02-21-2006, 12:34 PM
cut the fwd grip off, it's easy.

cope's distributing had a good deal, get the excellent all matching with single-hook G2 trigger and sear assembly for $125, tuff to beat it.

or go with the FEG kit from (*ptui*) the "Sporstsman's Guide".

folding bayos are pretty rare, hope that's not what you are after.

don't forget the US compliance parts

double_action
02-21-2006, 12:47 PM
the ones i see on their website have that weird looking reverse forward grip. this is what i want:D http://www.aa-ok.com/11122y.jpg

That's a Norinco Type 56. Good luck finding a kit, not many around and expensive.

blkA4alb
02-21-2006, 12:58 PM
bayonet i dont care about, how many US compliance parts are needed on the AK? wasn't it 10? is it possible to get a kit that already has the US comp parts? since this is my first AK id like to make it as simple as possible.

JHC
02-21-2006, 2:01 PM
As TopCat said, "Tapco Romanian",.

http://www.tapco.com/product_information.asp?number=ZAK06150B&back=yes&dept=214&last=214

It has all the compliance parts you'll need and since it has a new front handguard you wont be be using the wood one with forward PG anyway.
If you want to use the wood parts that come with your kit then you will have to buy additional compliance parts to make up for it like a gas piston, brake, etc. Ironwood Designs makes a nice set of US wood stocks but they are pricey.

wayoutwest
02-21-2006, 2:02 PM
bayonet i dont care about, how many US compliance parts are needed on the AK? wasn't it 10? is it possible to get a kit that already has the US comp parts? since this is my first AK id like to make it as simple as possible.

You need 10 or less imported parts so 5 or 6 US parts, 7 if you really want to be careful, these are the most common to replace

1 US receiver
2 Trigger
3 Hammer
4 Disconnector
5 slant brake

6-7 floorplate/follower
8 Gas piston

Tapco probably has a compliance package with enough parts to keep you legal.

Simple as possible is still alot harder than an AR you still need to remove the old rivits, and re-rivit or tap and screw it together. If the numbers on the kit dont match headspacing is a good idea.

blkA4alb
02-21-2006, 2:33 PM
thanks a lot guys, a lot of things have been cleared up. and its all legal with a fixed 10 rounder, i never really thought about it but is it horrible to load with the attached magazine?

sintax
02-21-2006, 2:55 PM
thanks a lot guys, a lot of things have been cleared up. and its all legal with a fixed 10 rounder, i never really thought about it but is it horrible to load with the attached magazine?

Lets just say loading them 1 at a time through the ejection port is all sorts of fun.

blkA4alb
02-21-2006, 3:03 PM
thats what i thought, i still think its worth it. if not just to piss off feinstein and such;). and its an AK!!:D

JHC
02-21-2006, 3:05 PM
Wasn't there a picture of an AK or AR mag floating around that someone had modified by putting a slot in the side and attatching a knob to the follower, then loading was done by dropping in the cartridges through an access hole in the mag body? I might have been dreaming it, I tend to dream alot about AKs,..IM SICK.;)

blkA4alb
02-21-2006, 3:11 PM
that would be cool, and probably easier to load. im just hoping that this AK gets on the revised list and it doesnt have to be pinned anymore. really nervous about if that will happen...:mad:

glen avon
02-21-2006, 3:21 PM
I'd like to make it as simple as possible.

Hmmmmm. "simple." that will depend on what you value simplicity in. Me, I want to be able to use any mag I want, so I went with the gas piston. now, replacing followers and baseplates may "simpler" to some than R&Ring a gas piston, but I like tinkering so I didn't mind the work, and think it will be simpler to change the gas piston once and never have to sweat the mags. but that's me.

my advice is cope's kit with the single hook G2 trigger group, a US gas piston, as US slant brake, a US PG (if any), and redo the wood yourself. That gets you 922 legal with any mag, and once you are done with the build, you are done working on it mechanically. I cut off the fwd PG and redid my Romanian wood myself and am quite pleased, will post a pic tonight or tomorrow.

glen avon
02-21-2006, 3:24 PM
Wasn't there a picture of an AK or AR mag floating around that someone had modified by putting a slot in the side and attatching a knob to the follower, then loading was done by dropping in the cartridges through an access hole in the mag body? I might have been dreaming it, I tend to dream alot about AKs,..IM SICK.;)

yes, but think about it - you will not be able to load 10 thru the side, as if you did, the follower would have to be low enough to put in more than 10 if you detached the mag (with a tool, of course), loaded it, and reattached it, or if you poked in more through the side of the receiver. still a good, clever solution, but not an easy road to loading 10 rounds in a fixed mag.

JHC
02-22-2006, 6:12 AM
What if you loaded the rifle upside down with the loading hole on the magazine at the bottom just above the follower?

jmlivingston
02-22-2006, 6:21 AM
About the 922 compliance, if the receiver is US manufactured do you still have to do the 10-parts thing?

ady
02-22-2006, 7:08 AM

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=27714&highlight=fixed+mag+idea

glen avon
02-22-2006, 7:19 AM
loading upside down might work but it will be quite the PITA. some ranges might not even let you do it, it would look so unusual.

the receiver is one of the 10 parts, still must comply.

here are pix of my refinished romanian stock set, with cut off lower HG PG (unfinished) for reference. I like the result a lot.

blkA4alb
02-22-2006, 9:44 AM
loading upside down might work but it will be quite the PITA. some ranges might not even let you do it, it would look so unusual.

the receiver is one of the 10 parts, still must comply.

here are pix of my refinished romanian stock set, with cut off lower HG PG (unfinished) for reference. I like the result a lot.
good job on the stock, looks awesome. did you stain the wood or is that how it came?

glen avon
02-22-2006, 10:50 AM
I mixed bullseye low-gloss amber shellac 50:50 with denatured alcohol, then added chestnut ridge military stock stain until I liked the color. I shook it in a glass jar, and added the stain until I saw a reddish color appear in the foam on top.

I applied about 5 thin coats with a cheap foam brush and I am quite pleased with the result.

The result is not as red as it appears, that picture was taken under dim incandescent light. I wouldn't mind if the result had actually been a bit redder.