PDA

View Full Version : Which sights for my AR-style build?

jmlivingston
02-21-2006, 9:21 AM
I'm thinking about picking up one of the Del-Ton 16" rifle kits with a flat-top upper. What kind of iron sights should I go for? I'd also like to do a bipod for those days at the range, but I don't want all the rails on the handguards. That lead me to thinking about going YHM: 4-rail gas block, flip-up front, and flip-up rear sights. Seems like the ARMS #40 gets a lot of good comments though, would I be better of considering that for the rear sight? Eventually I'd like these to be BUIS to some sort of optics and maybe even co-witness them at some point. Any opinions on the ARMS vs YHM setup? Is there something better that I'm missing?

Thanks!
John

mltrading
02-22-2006, 5:47 PM
The flip-up sights are for back up (if equipped so). Usually the weapons with BUIS are either CQB style or long-range style.

If the optics (holo sight or scope) were damaged or lost during battle, it is nice to have a set of back up sights. That's what BUIS for.

For long-range style, the power of scope is always high, the iron sights are used to find target (briefly).

IMHO, for regular use firearms, flip-up sights are just adding more "cool factors". Correct me if I am wrong, please.:)

jmlivingston
02-22-2006, 5:50 PM
Which falls exactly with what I'm thinking long-term, going with a nice holo or red-dot type scope at some point. Use the flip-ups for now, and then relegate them to the role of BUIS and maybe co-witness them.

soopafly
02-22-2006, 9:21 PM
What kind of iron sights should I go for?

front and rear flip ups from Troy Industries.
http://troyind.com/battle_sights.htm

I have both the YHM and Troy flip up sights and like the Troy mucho mas better. My main problem with the YHM flip ups is the rear sight. It tends to pop up on its own under the heavy recoil of slugs. Perhaps it will not be as much of an issue mounted on a .223 rifle.

maxicon
02-22-2006, 9:49 PM
To me, the 2 most important questions are:

- What are you going to do with it?

- How much do you want to spend?

If you're putting together a range gun, it's no big deal, but people who plan on using them in the field (cops, zombie hunters, whatever) can be more picky.

For inexpensive, it's hard to beat YHM. I like their stuff a lot for the money, and you can't spend much less and still get good quality.

For mid-range, ARMS is a great bet. Lots of people say Troy is even better for more money, but I don't have any of their gear.

It's not like there's a huge difference between them in price, but it does all add up.

max

bobfried
02-23-2006, 12:16 AM
YHM make good stuff, I have a set of their sights on one of my previous build. If you are planning to use a magnified optic (scopes with 3x and higher) than a flip down front and rear sights is nice to have. The rear especially would have to be a low profile setup like the Troy or the #40LSP or you won’t be able to use it with most scopes and Acog's.

If you are going to use a non-magnified optic (such as Aimpoint and Eotech) you might want to reconsider having flip down anything. I have my Aimpoint on a Larue mount and the front sight only occupies 1/3 of the lower window. I currently have the YHM, #40LSP, Troy, KAC flip down rear sights, all of which are great and would serve fine under a powered scope. On a non-magnified optic however I use an LMT BUIS (or a cut down carry handle) as the flip down will never ever be as reliable and tough as a true A2 sight. I have used the Eotech and Aimpoint on rifles with flip down front/rear and flip down rear, after some range time I find that the lack of fixed sights were disconcerting and was of no benefit. Some will say that the fixed sights obscure their view, to that i counter; you need to learn to open BOTH eyes. With the Aimpoint/Eotech on a Larue I like the LMT setup with the fixed front and rear which does not obscure anything.

http://img238.imageshack.us/img238/2091/optics8cl.jpg

Mute
02-23-2006, 8:01 AM
Troy for folding BUIS and Larue for fixed.