PDA

View Full Version : question about a ar-15 build

stitchnicklas
04-13-2010, 11:40 PM
i have decided to build it my shelf for cheaper cost.
i found a local California dealer that has the lower receiver for low cost and will do the dros and be legal.

but the question i have is can i put any lower parts kit in it(bullet button will be in it) and the upper assembly ,can it be any brand??
the lower i was looking at a dpms kit and DTI AR-15 16'' Pre-Ban M4 Flat Top Barrel complete Assembly.

my brother-in-law is a marine so he will assemble the lower for me.

djleisure
04-13-2010, 11:45 PM
Yep, pretty much any lower parts kit and any upper will work (large-pin Colts excepted) AND you don't need your brother-in-law to help you assemble the lower. Just follow these videos on Brownells and you're all set! http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=11011/learn/

Have fun!

stitchnicklas
04-13-2010, 11:48 PM
well i would watch him,but he can show me the proper way to assemble the lower

Sick Boy
04-13-2010, 11:49 PM
Yes, all that will work together. Only the large-hole Colt stuff will not work with regular AR-15 lowers, LPK, etc.

Make sure with the Del-Ton, get a chrome-lined barrel.

Have fun with your build!!

stitchnicklas
04-14-2010, 12:00 AM
i was going to get chrome-lined yes.

careerhigh
04-14-2010, 2:08 AM
Yes, all that will work together. Only the large-hole Colt stuff will not work with regular AR-15 lowers, LPK, etc.

Make sure with the Del-Ton, get a chrome-lined barrel.

Have fun with your build!!

Any reason why Chrome lined from Del-ton? Just easier to clean and more rust resistant? Or was there other reasons?

Sick Boy
04-14-2010, 2:13 AM
Chrome-lined for longevity of the barrel and cleaning ease.

I only said make sure to get chrome-lined, as they offer a non-chrome-lined barrel as well & I highly doubt it's a SS match barrel.

stitchnicklas
04-14-2010, 10:31 PM
just bought my lower today got a jd multi-caliber stripped lower

Noobert
04-14-2010, 10:35 PM
Things to watch out for when you/BIL builds the lower.
1. The ears of the lower must be supported when you roll pin the trigger guard on
2. cover the lower with electrical tape to prevent scratching when you roll pin the bolt catch
3. Make sure the you put the right spring along with the plunger in before driving in the roll pin for the bolt catch
4. Your disconnector spring has a flared end, which sits on the trigger. Don't mistake this spring
5. Good luck, have fun!

Josh3239
04-14-2010, 11:57 PM
Well said Noobert, I learned the first two the hard way.

stitchnicklas
04-15-2010, 1:32 PM
this is the kit set up i am considering with chrome-lined barrel and port.
lar upper reciever
wai or dpms bolt and carrier
wilson barrel
dpms lower parts kit
blackthorne stock commercial spec tube

jd machine stirpped cal legal lower----bought separately

this is from blackthorne products for 459 plus 20 shipping

assembly will be done by marine corp ssgt with armorers training and 11 yrs service.

EMT John
04-15-2010, 2:52 PM
Build the lower yourself. How else are you going to learn. It's not hard at all.

stitchnicklas
04-15-2010, 3:22 PM
gonna watch the lower so i can strip and clean...

stitchnicklas
04-15-2010, 10:43 PM
does anyone have current experiences with akpartskits.com or blackthorne products, i don't want to make a mistake if i buy from them..

Josh3239
04-16-2010, 12:27 AM
Don't send your money to Blackthorne EVER!!!! Literally every company out there is a step up from Blackthorne.

Bagelthief
04-16-2010, 12:32 AM
Beware, building yourself may not always be more financially efficient.

If you have: AR multi-tool, torque wrench, quality brass punch set, roll pin punch set, roll pin holders, brass hammer, upper vice block, lower vice block, bench vice, circle rubber thing-a-ma-giggy (you know, for the "ears"), high temp grease, loctite, and the various other nib-nabs needed to build anything to tight tolerances...then maybe you could build it for cheaper...maybe!

Until....

...you buy $250 in parts geared towards a particular AR (light, reliable carbine for instance); only to later realize that you can buy a match grade SS 16" barrel with factory duracoat for cheaper then a quality Sabre chrome lined. More accuracy is always better right? Now you have a bunch of parts you cant use. Then you say "crap, now I have to buy a match trigger, and good glass, and on-and-on-and-on...." :mad:

Then you say "holy crap now that I have a good gun, I need ammo to equal it! I'm sure as hell not paying for Black Hills at retail, I guess I need to reload...Holy Crap!!! NECO case concentricity guage WTF, Forster Co-Ax, Redding Dies, and on-and-on-and-on..." :p

/rant

Anyways, its good fun and in the end, its all worth it...

BTW,

It is definitely good to have someone wise help your first time, especially if they let you borrow their tools!

Good luck...

stitchnicklas
04-16-2010, 5:11 PM
i am also considering a stag complete upper from rifle gear with a dpms lower parts kit.

spoke to riverside county DA today about the bullet button and he said they will prosecute if your are changing magazines using a quick tool ,including a bullet tip.so might have to go with the allen set screw system to be compliant at the corona range where officers shoot too.

stock i will get at the ontario gun show in may.

anymore horror story's about blackthorne and what is the story on them,$409 for complete upper with lower parts kit including stock...seems to real to be true.

tools i have a complete shop and a brother in law who is a ssgt in marines and spent to years working in the utah armory, so building it will be quite easy since i have all tools already.

Josh3239
04-16-2010, 6:04 PM
spoke to riverside county DA today about the bullet button and he said they will prosecute if your are changing magazines using a quick tool ,including a bullet tip.so might have to go with the allen set screw system to be compliant at the corona range where officers shoot too.

That is BS, don't buy it. Sac. PD memo: http://www.hoffmang.com/firearms/Sacramento-PD-OLL_Training_Bulletin-2008-11-18.pdf

anymore horror story's about blackthorne and what is the story on them,$409 for complete upper with lower parts kit including stock...seems to real to be true.

Blackthorne has a couple of names; Hesse and Vulcan. They changed several times because their stuff is crap. I am serious, do NOT buy from them unless you like buying the same thing multiple times. Search them on ARF, search them here, search them on google, they are the worst company you can buy from. Dmitry from IAC in San Fernando has a hilarious ad from a guy trying to sell his Blackthorne upper, that thing was so messed and the owner of Blackthorne wanted him to jump through some ridiculous hoops to return it.