View Full Version : Stupid Fears?

02-20-2006, 10:06 PM
So I've completed the build of my CA legal AR rifle. I've used a sporting conversions pinned 10 rnd magazine so the rifle no longer has a "detachable magazine". I want to take the rifle out and shoot it but there's a part of me that's afraid that some stupid cop is gonna come by and decide that I am holding an "assault weapon" and decide to confiscate it or arrest me or something. Any of you guys feel the same way about this?
I live in the Oakland/Bay Area. Have any of you guys brought your new rifles out to shoot? Any problems?

02-20-2006, 10:13 PM
It's always a possibility. Always remember that if a cop takes ANYTHING from you make sure you get a receipt.

I haven't heard of anyone getting arrested for the Vulcan or FAB-10, so it is not very likely to happen.

In fact, they don't often check the papers for people's full functional "assault weapons".

02-20-2006, 10:26 PM

If all of your ducks are in a row and you AR complies with california laws, then you don't have much to worry about. First of all a cop would have to have a reason for stopping or detaining you. So unless you roll down the street looking like a suspect, you should not have a proplem there. Play by all of the laws such as locked case and separate compartment for the ammo, etc. If the officer has a question about your AR then he/she would run the serial number on the rifle on his personal data terminal in his car to check if it is stolen. That is about it. IF you are really paranoid about things, then keep a copy of the AW laws with you so you can show him how yours complies with the laws.

I honestly do not think you have much to worry about. Also, come to a range that is AR friendly. I go up to the Chabot Gun Range off of Redwood Road in the hills above Castro Valley. It is a nice range and the range masters walking around are more apt to give your AR an admiring look than a suspicious one. Guys are up there shooting AR's all the time, plus it is an IPSC and I think IDPA range! They do that on 3rd sundays I think. Anyway, we don't live in some sheriff controlled small town in the boondocks. As long as you are running legal and being nice about any inneraction with the law you should not have anything fear. Plus, tho none of us would want to have to go through it, if you were arrested and your weapon illegally confiscated, you would have grounds for on hell of a lawsuit! Take care, shoot well, and get as many people as you can doing the same!

02-20-2006, 10:31 PM
Most of the cops realize that this low is stupid and doesn't change anything. They are not hunting around for low abiding citizens with assault weapons.
The DOJ guys are another kind. They very political, because of government job environment. You can’t survive on you job without loyalty to your boss political view. Take guess which one...

Here are two, may be more, possibilities:
1. You get involved in something that "assault weapons" charges can be brought in addition against you.
2. You get into "assault weapons" "witch hunt" event somewhere on a shooting range.

Personally, I am willing to exercise my rights even getting in higher risk to be harassed.

02-20-2006, 11:27 PM
Be more worried about being pulled over by a traffic cop than showing up at the range with your rifle.

Police generally don't scour ranges looking for AW violations, and getting shoulder tapped by ATF or DOJ is unlikely at best.

Drive safe, follow the range rules, and be polite. As long as you're not being rediculous or stupid, then you'll be fine.

02-21-2006, 11:50 AM
Be more worried about being pulled over by a traffic cop than showing up at the range with your rifle.

Police generally don't scour ranges looking for AW violations, and getting shoulder tapped by ATF or DOJ is unlikely at best.

Drive safe, follow the range rules, and be polite. As long as you're not being rediculous or stupid, then you'll be fine.

I know when your out with your AR That all sorts of things can go through your head. I have never worried about my AR. I constantly transport it from Range to range and Match to match. I never give it a thought. But it is registered, and if I was asked by a cop if I have guns in the car I would say yes. My assault weapon is always locked up in the back of the truck or it's on the back seat in it's case. I don't have a lock on the case because it's plastic. But it is locked up whenever I leave the truck. There's a fine line there.

02-21-2006, 12:01 PM
I'm actually more worried about getting taken out by another motorist going to and from the range! :p

02-21-2006, 12:21 PM
Be more worried about the HUGE crowds that will gather around you and ask where they can purchase off-list lowers.

Seriously though... most cops are also firearms enthusiasts, and MANY also now own off-list lowers.

Gun owners everywhere are becomming more aware of the off-list lowers and that is a beautiful thing.

Bill, have we gotten 20,000 into the state at this point?

02-21-2006, 1:44 PM
I was shooting my fixed mag at 5 Dogs range here in Bakersfield and three or four guys came over to ask about it. I explained the procedures to them (I didn't tell them to read the FAQs) and they were going to see a couple of the FFL's here about it.

While I was shooting one of them pulled a pre-2000 AR rifle out and said " since you're shooitng one I guess it's alright to shoot mine."

I lusted (in my heart) for his detachable magazines.

02-21-2006, 2:21 PM
theres still alot of people out there who should know about the topic, who know nothing... actual gun shop owners as well. Even worse they're AW permitted shops too! When even the darn gun shops are ignorant it scares the crap outta me.

02-21-2006, 2:30 PM
Back in the day(early 90's) I'd go shooting in San Diego by the border with my Mini-14 w/ pistol grip/folding stock/30 round mag and Glock 19 in holster.

Border Patrol would drive by and wave as I held my decked out rifle. He's doing his job, and I'm doing my thing.

Good times.

I don't think it'd go down like that, nowadays.

02-21-2006, 2:42 PM
I have been to various ranges MANY times with multiple SB-23 oriented items, and have never been asked about them, whether legal or not, or if I have "Die papiere für Ihre gewehre" as one may expect to hear in California. :D

However, I was at ASR last year on a day where I had what some may call non-SB23 "standard" rifles, where the guy next to me was asked by a couple of uniformed LAPD police officers (a man and a woman) about some detachable mag AR's, an AK, and a G3 he had been shooting - not to see if they were registered AW, but merely "hey, that's cool, can we look at that?". They never asked for proof of registration nor did they hassle him. They were there for other purposes, not shooting, (I have no idea what) but they were really nice to this guy and seemed to be learning a thing or two from him. He told me later he was a little nervous, but was equally impressed by how nice they had been. He was not LEO nor did he know them. I guess it boils down to him treating them with a calm cool respect, as if they were no different than anyone else interested in guns at the range, and they gave him mutual respect right back.

02-21-2006, 3:00 PM
I've taken my fixed mag AR to United Sportsmen, Inc. in Concord and haven't had any issues there. "Will you be using a pistol lane or a rifle lane?" seems to be as far as questions go. I usually shoot at Chabot but I haven't taken my off-list there... yet.:D