PDA

View Full Version : Buying a vintage rifle in Commiefornia!, fee'd and what all does this entail?

Krusher
02-20-2006, 10:05 PM
:confused: Ok, Looking at this $70.00 Russian M44..
I really am debating wandering down and buying this tomarrow..
Its sooooooo low $$ wise.. I dont know if I can resist..

But I am wondering what changes with the age of the rifle..

any input aprecated,
Im sure some of you have bought vintage stuff here..

P.S. This is from BIG 5 Not private party to private party.
This would be from retail to private party (I know they can charge their own fee too)

SkyStorm82
02-20-2006, 11:08 PM
:confused: Ok, Looking at this $70.00 Russian M44..
I really am debating wandering down and buying this tomarrow..
Its sooooooo low $$ wise.. I dont know if I can resist..

But I am wondering what changes with the age of the rifle..

any input aprecated,
Im sure some of you have bought vintage stuff here..

P.S. This is from BIG 5 Not private party to private party.
This would be from retail to private party (I know they can charge their own fee too)

I bought an M44 and an M91/30 from them quite some time ago. It was just like buying a firearm from a normal gun shop. Well.......the process is the same anyway. The employees on the other hand are...different. I had one female, who I'm convinced was an anti, sell me a rifle there one time. It seemed like she really didn't like doing it.:D

Krusher
02-20-2006, 11:48 PM
hurm interesting..
So im looking at another 60ish in costs?!?

I bought an M44 and an M91/30 from them quite some time ago. It was just like buying a firearm from a normal gun shop. Well.......the process is the same anyway. The employees on the other hand are...different. I had one female, who I'm convinced was an anti, sell me a rifle there one time. It seemed like she really didn't like doing it.:D

SkyStorm82
02-20-2006, 11:52 PM
hurm interesting..
So im looking at another 60ish in costs?!?

Ummmm.... where do you get $60? There's the $20 or $25 DROS fee and for the moment, I can't think of any more "fees". I guess you'd have to buy a trigger lock if you don't have a safe... but I suppose you could just return the trigger lock later.

I heard it's a really fun gun for the price. Supposed to have a hell of a kick and put out a pretty big flash. I haven't got a chance to shoot mine yet.:(

OptionX3
02-20-2006, 11:56 PM
Its $25 dros fee, and you have to purchase a lock if you dont have a safe.
So..

1. $70 rifle
2. $25 DROS fee
3. $6 for cable lock (if you have a safe, you dont need to pay this)
4. +tax.

thats it.

PS> $25 fee allows you to buy as many rifles you want, that same day. (So I bought a savage rifle and M39 for $25 fee)

SkyStorm82
02-20-2006, 11:59 PM
Did you know it has a bayonet attached to it?:D

Veritas_223
02-21-2006, 12:08 AM
Stock up on ammo while its plentiful

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/copy_of_7_62x54R.html

http://www.outdoormarksman.com/index.php?cPath=65_63_48

alcmaeon
02-21-2006, 7:17 AM
I have a bunch of vintage rifles (C&R rifles). My oldest is a Finn M-39 built on an 1896 receiver. It shoots and functions great. The Mosins should be fine as far as function goes. Look for obvious signs of cracks, rust, deep pitting, etc. At Big 5 they may have a bunch of the rifles in the storage room. Make them pull ALL of them out and look at all of them. They will sell you any of them for the same price regardless if it is pristine or a sewer pipe that got dragged behind Stalin's staff car.

Pull the bolts out, look down the barrel at a light. (to pull the bolt on a Mosin simple open it and than hold the trigger back while you pull the bolt the entire way backwards. They all function that way.) Wiggle the sights, play with the trigger, just make sure everything is attached solidly and is functional
It may be covered in cosmoline, at the website below you can find many ways to get rid of it. Often Big 5 will have one rifle in the rack they have cleaned to show people, unless this is the last one they have this is not the rifle they want to sell you- if they do they have to clean another. So if you examine the clean rifle and want to buy it make sure that is the serial numbered rifle they are putting on the DROS paperwork. They can be tricky folks ;-)
Don't worry too much if the bolt either has been electro penciled to be matching or is completely not matching-it was common for the Russians to take all of the rifles apart, throw the parts into big drums of cleaner and than put them all back together randomly. That being said, you should check the headspace on a Mosin, look up headspacing at the website I have stuck in below. The rifles you are buying are leftovers from the WWIII arsenal the Soviets kept for the potential conflict (same reason we still are getting CMP M1s).

If you get bitten by the old battlerifle bug, look into getting your C&R FFL (again, the website I am showing you below can walk you through that process.) It costs $30 for 3 years, and has LESS paperwork involved than buying a handgun in California. You can use that licensed to set up a dealer account at Brownells and Midway which will give you price breaks that will easily pay for the $30. You can also buy C&R long guns (handguns are a bit different here in our lovely CA) from any other state and have them shipped to you directly. That means you can buy from AIMsurplus, Auctionarms, etc if the rifle/shotgun is C&R. Any weapon 50 years old and older is automatically C&R. Some newer ones are but they will be on a list that the BATF will give you.

Great C&R (vintage) rifle forum:
http://p102.ezboard.com/bparallaxscurioandrelicfirearmsforums

superhondaz50
02-21-2006, 7:28 AM
I bought one of those Russian M44's a while back at Big 5 Sorting goods. It was $69 with a 10 dollar rebate, so it was actually $59 bucks plus the DROS fees. It is a great rifle, the blueing was perfect, it was acurate, and is very reliable. I refinished the stock, and now the gun looks new! As for the employees, yes i'm pretty sure they are anti. They never seem to want to be near the guns, and as a matter of fact, I went with my father to pick up his Winchester 94 lever gun a few weeks ago, and the girl handling it said she wished they didnt sell guns there cause she doesnt like em!

CowtownBallin
02-21-2006, 7:54 AM
I'm a Big 5 employee, and far from anti-gun :D Most of my female coworkers, and even some of the male ones, are afraid of guns simply because they know nothing about them. I try to give them short "training sessions" every now and then, just to let them hold stuff and not pee themselves.

Big 5 doesn't charge any fees to sell you the gun, you just pay DROS, tax, and buy a lock if you don't have a safe (you don't have to buy ours, as long as you have a receipt for a CA-approved lock within the last 30 days).

If you don't like quality of the model on display, ask if they have more. Bring a bore light, most stores don't have one. I bought my Russian M44 from Big 5 before I started working there haha. Great gun, lets you know you're still alive.

gunshack
02-21-2006, 9:05 AM
Here's a link to the best, most complete Milsurp Rifle site on the net. Check out the forums too:
http://www.surplusrifle.com/

I recommend getting your Type03 FFL whether you like old guns or not. A lot of the shooting supply houses give you the same deal they give dealers. I saved more than the $30 cost of the license with my first order from Midway, and the order was under $100.

saki302
02-21-2006, 9:43 AM
Better yet, get your C&R license for $30 and mail order all the old (>50yrs) surplus rifles you want!

-Dave

Krusher
02-21-2006, 5:09 PM
I was assuming there would be their own fee's too (big5's)
so i tossed in aprox 20 for that.
But if they dont charge that then thats even better.
from what i read places like that can charge their own

Ummmm.... where do you get $60? There's the $20 or $25 DROS fee and for the moment, I can't think of any more "fees". I guess you'd have to buy a trigger lock if you don't have a safe... but I suppose you could just return the trigger lock later.

I heard it's a really fun gun for the price. Supposed to have a hell of a kick and put out a pretty big flash. I haven't got a chance to shoot mine yet.:(

glen avon
02-21-2006, 5:36 PM
I was assuming there would be their own fee's too (big5's)
so i tossed in aprox 20 for that.
But if they dont charge that then thats even better.
from what i read places like that can charge their own

yes they can, but Big 5 does not. some others do.

Krusher
02-21-2006, 10:06 PM
Well I am going to inspect a m44 tomarrow..
Will see if the quality is ok and no issues..
Would have checked one out today..
but out of stock.

I might end up sdelling off my 22..
and make this my only one..
My mossberg is just to hard to not find a firing pin
which wont break after 2 or 3 rounds fired through it.

yes they can, but Big 5 does not. some others do.

CowtownBallin
02-22-2006, 12:16 AM
The M44s went off sale tonight at closing (2/21) so you probably won't see the $70 price, unless someone was slacking at your store. Ask if you can get the last sale price though, I'm sure they'll give it to you since it was only a day away. If they don't want to give it to you at first, tell them Miran from Store 129 said to give you last sale price :D

Mssr. Eleganté
02-22-2006, 8:33 AM
I might end up sdelling off my 22..
and make this my only one..
My mossberg is just to hard to not find a firing pin
which wont break after 2 or 3 rounds fired through it.

Have you tried Havlin Sales for your Mossberg firing pin?

http://www.havlinsales.com/22rifle.htm

Vic Havlin the The Man when it comes to old Mossberg parts. He might even have a clue why your firing pins keep breaking.

Krusher
02-22-2006, 11:45 AM
Much aprecated Miran.. will keep that in mind..
One of the local stores said they will honor, And rainchecked it and the 9mm ammo for me..
Will be stippong by tonight and seeing if i will be getting one from that store
or I will go to another one here in so cal..
I hear the store im going to go to is supposed to be getting
1 in but there is another location with 4 showing unsold..

After all that then its just a 10 day wait, and then another wait for the
ammo :)

The M44s went off sale tonight at closing (2/21) so you probably won't see the $70 price, unless someone was slacking at your store. Ask if you can get the last sale price though, I'm sure they'll give it to you since it was only a day away. If they don't want to give it to you at first, tell them Miran from Store 129 said to give you last sale price :D

Krusher
02-22-2006, 11:49 AM
:o Yea I have, and their GREAT people!!
Sheryl has worked with me..
We have done many exchanges..

I am needing to send in the last one.
I just havent had time.. But There was a issue
with the treatment of the metals..
and this last batch had a lot not right..
(Very brittle!!) Last one broke i think it was after 2 or 1 shot..
you can see once it snapps,. its like a sandstone type of internals..
the outter edge appears ok, but then there is NO strength in the ones
Ive been dealing with..

Im hoping to do one more exchange and a engineer freind of mine is going to
try and polish ALL edges and round them and we hope this will reduce all stresses and MABEY make it last longer.

Thats his thought..
mine at this point is its close, but just hope i get one that was tempered right, and will have the strength needed.
Have you tried Havlin Sales for your Mossberg firing pin?

http://www.havlinsales.com/22rifle.htm

Vic Havlin the The Man when it comes to old Mossberg parts. He might even have a clue why your firing pins keep breaking.

grammaton76
02-22-2006, 4:22 PM
#1: I'd get a C&R license - you can then have even cheaper Mosin's directly shipped to you.

#2: I have only ONCE, EVER, gone to a Big5, asked to see a gun, and not been treated like a guy who walks into a Christian bookstore and asks for a Playboy and a blow-up doll. I usually get eyes rolled at me, and employees seeing me waiting at the gun counter and deliberately avoiding me. The only gun I actually purchased at a Big5 was a Mosin, a year ago, and they tried to pull EXTRA proof of residency crap on me (said DMV change of address card on my driver's license wasn't adequate proof, etc), refused to accept the rent slip from my mobile home park as a utility bill (it's the only utility bill I GET), and the only thing they WOULD accept was the title to my trailer, as it had the state seal on it and was dated within 90 days. This was the manager, and I could tell she REALLY didn't want to be in the gun area anyway - there were another couple of guys there too, and they got similar treatment. To top it off, when I showed up for pickup, I had to wait at the gun counter for 15 minutes before anyone would even TALK to me - and they weren't busy. Furthermore, they demanded the proof of residency AGAIN when I showed up to pick it up. In short, the Convoy location, when I've had the misfortune to be there, is almost what it'd be like if the Brady Bunch ran a C&R shop.

Now, I don't look like a criminal, and I don't look like a gang banger. No ethnic stereotyping going on here, unless maybe they figure that white 6'2" brown-haired guys in their 20s wearing business casual attire are going to go shoot up an office or something.

In short, the two Big5 stores I've checked out guns at (one in Oceanside, one on Convoy St. in San Diego) were a buncha twerps. If I ever set foot in either of those places again, it'll be after I've got my C&R so I only have to deal with the folks there once. :)

Now, the one time which was an exception, was up in Oceanside, when the guy behind the counter was a genuine C&R rifle junkie. He was pretty cool, we talked for a while about K-31's vs Mosin's, etc. I just wish that if Big5 is going to carry guns, that they'd at least keep people who treat gun owners like criminals from reaching management.

vrylak
02-22-2006, 5:01 PM
I think it's a corporate thing though.

I was almost denied my 2nd amendment right (at least that was how it felt - the thought of bringing them to court was very appealing at that time) last Fri. I went in to Big 5 to pick up my Mosin after the 10-day and was told by the manager that they were to be audited and corporate requires them to ask for another proof of residency beside a CADL, showed me their "memo".

I told him that is only for non-US citizens, but he wouldn't budge and that was what corporate was requiring them to do. He promised he was gonna get in touch with their office to clarify it. So I went in next day to try again, he only called their office when I showed up and was really apologetic when he found out I was right. I even told him that the second requirement for residency actually was for a handgun for non-US. All's well that ends well after. He even let me avail of the coupon for another $10 but he just let me have a box of 7.62s instead when I asked for it.

The Big 5 at Mira Mesa is easy to do business with as compared to what I've read about their other branches around San Diego. One of their is staffs is vice president, I think, of a gun club or advocacy group. Plus they're fairly knowledgeable about guns, there are 6 males and 2 females and they're polite, you could ask to see and check out almost every rifle on display and they're not gonna show impatience at you.

glen avon
02-22-2006, 5:15 PM
I think it's a corporate thing though.

I was almost denied my 2nd amendment right (at least that was how it felt - the thought of bringing them to court was very appealing at that time) last Fri. I went in to Big 5 to pick up my Mosin after the 10-day and was told by the manager that they were to be audited and corporate requires them to ask for another proof of residency beside a CADL, showed me their "memo".

there is no 2nd amendment right to purchase with one form of ID....