PDA

View Full Version : windows startup repair doesnt work.

Ls1FALimpala
04-13-2010, 4:52 PM
the other day i was feeding my pups and left my hp latop on and when i came back it was frozen so i did a hard shutdown. and when i turned it on it says at the windows vista black screen i left it like that for about 30 mins before i did another hard shutdown. so far a tired the startup repair, system restore, and safe mode. and nothings worked. what can be the problem? is there a computer place near fontana i can take it to? thanks in advance.

winnre
04-13-2010, 5:23 PM
I'm a computer dude in Rialto. Hmmm even safe mode did not work? Not fun. I take it you pressed F8 and selected Last Known Good?

Easiest way to fix it? Go buy a Windows 7 upgrade disk and boot to that. Seriously. I did that since Windows 95.

Vista both sucks and blows.

Ls1FALimpala
04-13-2010, 5:44 PM
That would make me lose all my info no? Is there any other way? Do u know computers real well? Maybe u can have a look. I have tons of important stuff on there.

winnre
04-13-2010, 5:47 PM
Well you can reinstall Vista if you have the original CD/DVD, just do a repair, your data will be there (don't format!) but you wil need to do a windows update for sure.

Nopew, running an update to W7 will not overwrite your personal stuff, though you do want to check your PC maker's website to se if it is capable of supporting W7. You may lose drivers for the network or video that have to be downloaded seperately, or if you do not have enough technical wants then it will not run at all. My guess is if it support Vista it ought to support W7.

Ls1FALimpala
04-13-2010, 6:01 PM
No it didn't come with the cd. I bought it from costco will micro soft sell me the original or should I just do the w7? If my hp can support it ill check. Thanks for the advice/help I really appriciate it.

winnre
04-13-2010, 6:03 PM
Go to hp.com and look up your model, see if it is a candidate for upgrading.

Sure hope it is just Vista being a PITA and nothing else.

trautert
04-13-2010, 6:33 PM
Had a similar problem with one of the Toshiba laptops I bought for my classroom. No amount of online and phone tech help would get it up and running. They had to send a box to return ship it to their repair depot in Kentucky. That was an adventure, as they put the wrong sn on the repair order, then waited for me to complain about it before fixing the order or the computer. Still, it is back in the classroom and running fine now. Needed a new hard drive. Under warranty.
Tom

Ls1FALimpala
04-23-2010, 11:31 AM
Its getting a 0x0 code which means a bad harddrive if I put a new one in I will loose everything no?

D_fens
04-23-2010, 11:39 AM
Try dual booting with another Microsoft OS and use Chkdsk (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265). Your stuff shouldn't be deleted (while installing another OS) unless you choose to completely reformat the disk.

Having HD issues may mean that some of your stuff can't be recovered, however.

Just my $.02.

fdbizzle
04-23-2010, 12:39 PM
I'd still upgrade the OS. You can retrieve your data the ghetto way (my preferred method!): extract the HDD, hook it up to another station, and d/l all your files to another drive.

metalhead357
04-23-2010, 1:42 PM
You can retrieve your data the ghetto way (my preferred method!): extract the HDD, hook it up to another station, and d/l all your files to another drive.

X1000000 minues the upgrade. Upgrade rollovers usually suck in the long run vs just buying a whole new OS

winnre
04-23-2010, 1:56 PM
A friend had a bad DVD drive, bad RAM and the hard dribve had issues. I just got a new machine, a Dell refurb, for $339 that has 6GM Ram, 640GB hard drive, Windows 7 premium, no headaches! Easy enough to copy over the data from the old box.

fdbizzle
04-23-2010, 2:15 PM
X1000000 minues the upgrade. Upgrade rollovers usually suck in the long run vs just buying a whole new OS

My bad, I meant upgrade the OS, but do full install :confused:

JDay
04-23-2010, 3:52 PM
That would make me lose all my info no? Is there any other way? Do u know computers real well? Maybe u can have a look. I have tons of important stuff on there.

No it wont, you can do a clean install with the upgrade and it will put all your old stuff in c:\windows.old so that you can move your files to your home directory after install. Or if you do an actual upgrade everything will be pretty much how it was (wont have to reinstall programs).