PDA

View Full Version : M1 carbine

taperxz
04-13-2010, 4:50 PM
How can you tell if all parts are original on the M1? I have a Saginaw and am being questioned about its authenticity. It has an underwood barrel but my impression was that this model was sent out for a barrel because of the urgency in which they needed them done. Any ideas?

mls343
04-13-2010, 4:59 PM
Unless you have pictures, it would be tough to determine. However, most of the M1 Carbines have been reworked in some fashion over the years. If your carbine has a bayonet hook, ramp sights, pot belly stock, or any of the above, then it is, most likely, a mix master.

While there are still original as issued condition examples out there, the majority have been reworked, and sent back to service - here or overseas.

Even if it is a mix master, they are still real fun to shoot, that is if you can afford the ammo - which can be as high as $40+ per box of 50...

taperxz
04-13-2010, 5:05 PM
http://i857.photobucket.com/albums/ab131/taperx/IMG_0218.jpg

http://i857.photobucket.com/albums/ab131/taperx/IMG_0217.jpg

hope this helps

SVT-40
04-13-2010, 5:21 PM
It's a M-1 carbine all right! Without very clear and up close photos of each and every part there is no way to tell if all the parts were original to the gun.

I can tell you since you have a type 3 rear sight and updated front barrel band / bayonet lug it appears the rifle went through at least one arsenal up date.

The hand guard is a "four rivet" type which were only made by Inland and Winchester. Same for the stock. It's cut for the full auto selector. This feature was only found on later produced stocks by Inland and Winchester (as well as later replacement stocks bade by other sources).

The sling appears to be nylon and is also not an original WWII carbine sling.

It's a good shooter and still collectible. But not "original".

taperxz
04-13-2010, 5:26 PM
I didnt think there were actually to many ORIGINALS around. A lot of these from my understanding were in and out of the war a couple times.

The barrel is underwood receiver is s'g' saginaw, and on the side of the sight is says ir co. and then another type of serial #

ShooterDK
04-13-2010, 5:40 PM
Get a copy of "U.S. M1 Carbines" by Craig Riesch. He does a very good job of going over every part of the gun as they are a multitude of variations of this gun due to production changes, etc.

From what I can see yours has a late (Type 3) barrel band and sight but an early flat top bolt (there are 2 variations of these). Look for rebuild marks on the barrel. But get the book and go through entire gun to get full picture.

North Cape Publications
PO Box 1027
Tustin, CA 92781

www.northcapepubs.com

taperxz
04-13-2010, 5:43 PM
thanks i will check that out. the barrel is i believe date stamped 43 If that is indeed a date stamp

mls343
04-13-2010, 5:45 PM
Also check out the forums at CMP - www.thecmp.org

Lots of good information there.

BTW - She looks good!

ShooterDK
04-13-2010, 6:01 PM
All Underwood barrels were date stamped throughout production.

Spiggy
04-13-2010, 6:04 PM
I didnt think there were actually to many ORIGINALS around. A lot of these from my understanding were in and out of the war a couple times.

The barrel is underwood receiver is s'g' saginaw, and on the side of the sight is says ir co. and then another type of serial #

Where do you see serial numbers?

taperxz
04-13-2010, 6:07 PM
On the right side of the rear sight under Ir co it reads 7160060 the receiver is 1768942

SVT-40
04-13-2010, 11:16 PM
On the right side of the rear sight under Ir co it reads 7160060 the receiver is 1768942

Ir Co was a contractor who made sights. 7160060 is a part number. Stating to obvious the other number is the serial number.

Spiggy
04-13-2010, 11:25 PM
you're good then.

If your gun has 2 sets of serials, you're very well likely holding onto an import :p

tinybamboo8x11
04-15-2010, 7:49 AM
where is this model bought?i don't see any here

wolff
04-16-2010, 10:02 PM
Get a copy of "U.S. M1 Carbines" by Craig Riesch. He does a very good job of going over every part of the gun as they are a multitude of variations of this gun due to production changes, etc.

From what I can see yours has a late (Type 3) barrel band and sight but an early flat top bolt (there are 2 variations of these). Look for rebuild marks on the barrel. But get the book and go through entire gun to get full picture.

North Cape Publications
PO Box 1027
Tustin, CA 92781

www.northcapepubs.com

ditto - If you really want to learn, and know, about your rifle - and the little carbines in general, get the book!