PDA

View Full Version : What's a NM two stage trigger???

SkyStorm82
02-20-2006, 9:05 PM
I was thinking about ordering the RRA lower parts kit for my Stag lower because I've heard that it's a really good trigger.....I just don't really now what it is.

How is the NM trigger different than the normal one?

Thanks.

tenpercentfirearms
02-20-2006, 9:09 PM
A two stage trigger has a first stage that is mainly slack, then once you travel the 1/8" or so of slack, then it goes to the single stage like normal. The only exception to normal is the RRA two stage trigger's first stage is a nice crisp three pounds or so instead of the 6-8 pounds of a single stage trigger. I highly recommend the RRA two stage trigger and that is why I sell them too. I can't get enough from RRA.

Gnote
02-20-2006, 9:12 PM
Well the best I can describe it is it is like shooting a SIG pistol (or any other gun) in single action mode. You pull the trigger up to a certain point then you need around 4 pouns (I think) to get the AR to go bang.

Have one and like it.

SkyStorm82
02-20-2006, 9:20 PM
A two stage trigger has a first stage that is mainly slack, then once you travel the 1/8" or so of slack, then it goes to the single stage like normal. The only exception to normal is the RRA two stage trigger's first stage is a nice crisp three pounds or so instead of the 6-8 pounds of a single stage trigger. I highly recommend the RRA two stage trigger and that is why I sell them too. I can't get enough from RRA.

That's pretty informative...thanks. So what's the benefit of having a 3 pound or so trigger than a normal 6-8 LB? Maybe a little more accurate since it's smoother when pulling the trigger???

tenpercentfirearms
02-20-2006, 9:29 PM
Exactly. The crisper and lighter the trigger, the more precisely you are going to generally shoot. A really good trigger can turn a 2 MOA rifle into a 1 MOA rifle. I don't have the funds right now, but all of my CA Legal Lowers will some day have either RRA or LMT 2 Stages or maybe even some of the better single stages like Jewel or Chip McCormick. You just can't beat them when comapred to a stock trigger.

SkyStorm82
02-20-2006, 9:34 PM
Exactly. The crisper and lighter the trigger, the more precisely you are going to generally shoot. A really good trigger can turn a 2 MOA rifle into a 1 MOA rifle. I don't have the funds right now, but all of my CA Legal Lowers will some day have either RRA or LMT 2 Stages or maybe even some of the better single stages like Jewel or Chip McCormick. You just can't beat them when comapred to a stock trigger.

Ok....you still have some of those RRA lower parts kit with the NM trigger in stock? I'll be sending you an order for one... but I can't seem to get on your website at the moment for some reason.

tenpercentfirearms
02-20-2006, 9:53 PM
I have one or two in stock. Just send me your

name
address
phone number
what you want
how you want to pay (I can call you for your CC info or you can pay by Pay Pal to guns@tenpercentfirearms.com)
what exactly you want

I will probably get your payment info tomorrow and ship out your parts Wednesday. Thanks. You are going to like that trigger!

ocabj
02-20-2006, 9:53 PM
What kind of rifle are you building? Tactical style rifle? Go single stage. Service rifle highpower or scoped varmint/precision rifle? Go two stage.

A two stage trigger is great in a situation when you have ample amount of time to get sight picture on a target since you can pull the trigger 'half way' past the 1st stage and sit waiting for the right point in your breathing and pulse rhythm to squeeze through the 2nd stage.

For 'practical' shooting a single stage is best, especially for situations like 3-gun or other 'tactical' style shooting.

But some people are able to use two stage triggers for any situation, so if two stage works for you in any situation, go for it.

tenpercentfirearms
02-20-2006, 9:56 PM
Why is it the Garand and M1A have two stage triggers if they aren't suited for practical shooting? With proper practice and then some more practice, what is to stop a two stage from performing like a one stage? I am interested in the theory behind this as that last stage is all that matters.

SkyStorm82
02-20-2006, 10:05 PM
I have one or two in stock. Just send me your

name
address
phone number
what you want
how you want to pay (I can call you for your CC info or you can pay by Pay Pal to guns@tenpercentfirearms.com)
what exactly you want

I will probably get your payment info tomorrow and ship out your parts Wednesday. Thanks. You are going to like that trigger!

Just sent off the email order. Another question though. How come the military doesn't make a NM trigger standard on thier rifles?

Matt-man
02-20-2006, 11:41 PM
I posted this in another thread on 2-stage triggers:

Two-stage triggers are good for competitions where you have a mandated minimum trigger pull weight. CMP/NRA service rifle rules require a 4.5 pound trigger pull. The two-stage triggers let you take up most of the pull in the first stage, which makes the second stage feel lighter.

As an example: When I'm shooting offhand, I'll take up the first stage as soon as I've got the sights on target. On my rifle the first stage is about two pounds. When I've got the sights aligned perfectly, I only have to exert another 2.5 pounds to get the second stage to break. It gives you better control than pulling through 4.5 pounds in a single stage.

In the NRA match rifle category where there's no minimum trigger weight, I've got a 2.5 pound trigger to begin with so there's no real reason for two stages.

The 1903, M1 Garand, and M14 all had 2-stage triggers. I don't know why the AR didn't have one to start with. I guess they aren't issued with them because there is no standard mil-spec 2-stage trigger for an M16. Certain rifles like the Mk12 are built with 2-stage triggers, but of course they're special-purpose rifles. Note that 2-stage does not automatically equal "National Match" - the trigger on my M1 is heavier and creepier than you'd want on a match gun. NM triggers are usually tuned to achieve a 4.5 to 5 pound pull and a crisp break.

I got to try a WOA-tuned RRA 2-stage last weekend and it was really nice - definitely worth the extra cash over the basic trigger. The trigger on my gun (Stag LPK) has a ton of creep by comparison. The Geissele 2-stage (http://www.geissele.com/detail.aspx?ID=2) is the hot ticket for service rifle competition right now, but it's not cheap either.

30Cal
02-21-2006, 8:44 AM
I'm going with Geiselle (as soon as I sell some more stuff)!

I will say from experience that the stock AR15 trigger is an insult and has absolutely no place on any rifle.

phish
02-21-2006, 11:32 AM
I'm going with Geiselle (as soon as I sell some more stuff)!

I will say from experience that the stock AR15 trigger is an insult and has absolutely no place on any rifle.

What are you selling? :D

I know of one shooter who uses the KAC 2-stage trigger and is very happy with it. I think he got it with a LEO discount, so the sting wasn't too bad.

I plan on picking up a Geiselle trigger for my single-shot prone gun project. I've been satisfied with my Jewell, but it's kind of a pain to install in relation to the other triggers, the Chip McCormick being a virtual drop-in deal.