PDA

View Full Version : Is this a good deal on this ammo?. 7.62 54r

Krusher
02-20-2006, 9:52 PM
Want to know what you all think of this ammunition price wise.
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=247317
I am thinking aboiut buying a russian 7.62 54R tomarrow for 70 bucks..

Also what fee's will there be ??
isnt this a relic??

-hanko
02-20-2006, 9:57 PM
Want to know what you all think of this ammunition price wise.
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=247317
I am thinking aboiut buying a russian 7.62 54R tomarrow for 70 bucks..

Also what fee's will there be ??
isnt this a relic??

I think a heavier bullet is more in keeping with the original design of the rifle. SG shipping charges usually suck. I think you can probably do better with Aim Surplus or maybe JG Sales.

What fees are you talking about.

It might be old but it's not a relic...if you're thinking of Curio & Relic, that's a gun, not the ammo.

-hanko

PanzerAce
02-20-2006, 10:12 PM
http://www.ammunitionstore.com/ has a better deal on x54R. and hanko, the heavier or lighter bullets are not necessarily in conflict with the design of the rifle. However, if you were using a PSL, then you would want to go with the lighter round.

moulton
02-20-2006, 10:21 PM
go for the polish $60 for 880 rds with cupond... STEAL CORE:D EAT IT FEINSTEIN

Krusher
02-20-2006, 10:39 PM
I am refering to the fee's for a rifle of that age,
To transfer it. aka buy it..
I am looking at big 5's ad from a couple of days ago fridays or saturdays i think.

they have one listed.
russian M44 Bolt action
Listed for 70 bucks!!!

And sundays is a M91/30 russian Mosin Nagant
Bolt action.. 89.99

I am thinking about the M44
Just for one its more my budget..
and second I Am tired of dealing with my 22 and the firing pin
breaking, Metal seems very brittle and only 2 places have em..

So I am wondering what the transfer fee's etc are ona "vintage" rifle..
they push that fact so im assuming there are some fee's which
may be lesser??

I think a heavier bullet is more in keeping with the original design of the rifle. SG shipping charges usually suck. I think you can probably do better with Aim Surplus or maybe JG Sales.

What fees are you talking about.

It might be old but it's not a relic...if you're thinking of Curio & Relic, that's a gun, not the ammo.

-hanko

Krusher
02-20-2006, 10:40 PM
And this is where?
and website?
more information?

alcmaeon
02-20-2006, 10:53 PM
I second Aim Surplus. I have made 9 or 10 purchases from them, always honest, they back up their stuff, decent shipping prices and good communication.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/

Krusher
02-20-2006, 11:01 PM
Seems these places limit delivery to orange and la county..

Does anyone have a list of specific ammo delivery regulations
state wide?
I know some people in riverside county I could have this shipped to them
there and just pick it up..

I ask because their website says they want to see id,
I assume this is to verify age.

hurmm, getting close to a possible winning combo..

I second Aim Surplus. I have made 9 or 10 purchases from them, always honest, they back up their stuff, decent shipping prices and good communication.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/

jmlivingston
02-21-2006, 7:33 AM
No problems with J&G Sales (http://www.jgsales.com) delivering to OC, I bought a crate of Polish from there about 4 or 5 months ago. Current price is $32.91 for a 440-round tin, two tins make a crate. If you buy a crate you get the tool for opening the tins.

John

alcmaeon
02-21-2006, 7:53 AM
I may just be misunderstanding your sentence, it looked like you were saying AIM would only ship to OC and LA. However, AIM will not ship to LA, OC and SF but everywhere else is ok. Which doesn’t help you if you live in LA or OC, obviously.

glen avon
02-21-2006, 8:04 AM
albanian ammo is OK, perfectly fine for blasting and booming, but it's not as accurate as others. I mic'd a round the other day, the bullet is 0.310 x .0311, I guess that averages out to 0.3105....

SG sucks and they are crooks, buy elsewhere

try a variety, albanian works fine in my 44, hungarian has primer issues, czech sticks, haven't shot the polish yet

don't rule out wolf, I have shot some very nice groups in a 91/30 using the 148 gr wolf.

opening tool? eh? I used a hammer and chisel.

Big 5's sales are a good deal, but the fees almost double the price. if you want a 44, get one, but pay attention to the bore, that's the big variable. you can ask to see more than one, Big 5 sales staff is GREAT. their management policies must be pretty darn good.

CowtownBallin
02-21-2006, 9:00 AM
Big 5's sales are a good deal, but the fees almost double the price. if you want a 44, get one, but pay attention to the bore, that's the big variable. you can ask to see more than one, Big 5 sales staff is GREAT. their management policies must be pretty darn good.

1) Huh? Fees double the price? Outside the cost of the rifle, you pay DROS and tax, and maybe a gun lock if no safe.

2) Big 5 Sales staff is hit-n-miss. I'm the only one in my store who owns guns, and one of three who have ever shot a gun, but I live in a college town, so it's expected. Our management policies are laughable hahaha

CowtownBallin
02-21-2006, 9:01 AM
My M44 really likes the Albanian and Russian (HOT!!) ammo, but Czech silver-tip was a little sticky, but after cleaning out the chamber and decreasing my fire rate, it got better.

glen avon
02-21-2006, 9:41 AM
69.99 + 25 = 94.99; 94.99 x 1.0775 = 102.35

102.35- 69.99 = 32.36 in fees, not including cable lock if needed.

not mathematically double, but it sure feels like it when paying....

Certainly not Big 5's fault, but my wallet can't tell whose fault it is.

mblat
02-21-2006, 9:44 AM

You don't pay tax on DROS.....

Mesa Tactical
02-21-2006, 10:47 AM

Steel core is not allowed on many SoCal public ranges.

I have lots of steel core and can't shoot it anywhere. Now I use a magnet to buy milsurp ammunition.

Mosin-Nagants are great rifles. It's the rifle that beat the Nazis.

CowtownBallin
02-21-2006, 2:58 PM

at 7.75% tax, I got $100.4 :D (no tax on DROS). And most of it is DROS, you don't even pay $6 in tax. Still a pretty good deal when you see clowns on gunbroker selling their garden variety M44/M38 for $200 hahaha

moulton
02-21-2006, 6:24 PM
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=235122

$65 for polish steal core 880 rounds... corrosive like all surplus but heck of a fire ball out the end:D

google for sportsmansguide cuponds

Quote:
Originally Posted by moulton
go for the polish $60 for 880 rds with cupond... STEAL CORE EAT IT FEINSTEIN

Steel core is not allowed on many SoCal public ranges.

I have lots of steel core and can't shoot it anywhere. Now I use a magnet to buy milsurp ammunition.

Mosin-Nagants are great rifles. It's the rifle that beat the Nazis.

why do they have a steal core ban at public ranges.... just sneak it in under some winchester stuff... do they check every bullet?

Mesa Tactical
02-22-2006, 6:29 AM
why do they have a steal core ban at public ranges.... just sneak it in under some winchester stuff... do they check every bullet?

Ferrous bullets are prohibited for a very good reason: they can strike sparks agianst rocks that can cause brush fires. All it would take was one good and destructive brush fire one autumn for Angeles Ranges, for example, to be shut down forever.

At Angeles Ranges the rangemasters come by with magnets and check everyone's ammunition. If you are caught on the line with steel core ammunition, you are kicked off the range.

It's serious business.

They have magnets at all the rifle benches so shooters can check their own ammunition. Twice I have made a spot check before the rangemasters got to me, and had to sneak off back to my car to hide ferrous ammunition. It's not a big deal if you know what you are doing.

Only problem is cheap non-ferrous milsurp is hard to find. I have just about used up all my old Lake City M2 ball.