PDA

View Full Version : Do you really need buis?

nickj03b
02-20-2006, 5:50 PM
I have decided to get an eotech sight but was wondering if you really need buis? I know you would need it if you ever took off the eotech. I have seen rifles with and without them and I like look of the ones without them better.

TonyM
02-20-2006, 5:56 PM
Generally, it is a good idea to have one. Especially if you ever see needing the rifle for any serious use where your life may depend on it (so that really rules most of us out in all likelyhood, but we like to be prepared ;) ).

What if your batteries die on the EoTech? What if it just fails? What if you drop the rifle and break the EoTech? What if a Zombie gets the jump on you and rips the EoTech off? ;)

It's always nice to have a backup, and a flip-up BUIS is very small and mostly out of the way. Well worth it's price if you ever ended up needing it.

Jeff Rambo
02-20-2006, 6:14 PM
Topics like this belong in The Riflemans forum. Please keep on-topic with the forum categories.

elmo
02-20-2006, 8:12 PM
i too think a buis is required. i'd rather have an iron sight only before having an optic only.

Supernam
02-20-2006, 9:05 PM
I think it depends on your application. If you plan to use your rifle in a life or death situation, then you'll want those buis. But if you just shoot at the range only like the 95% of us, then the worse is that you'll have to end your range trip early if your optics go out.

ldivinag
02-20-2006, 10:03 PM
a paranoid person like me needs a back up for everything. sometimes a backup for a backup.

when those danged zombies start roaming the earth, when your batts run out (unless you have the new fangled trijjie ACOG) then you're set.

the nickname for mine will be BABA-BUIS... ;)

xenophobe
02-20-2006, 11:12 PM
I think it depends on your application. If you plan to use your rifle in a life or death situation, then you'll want those buis. But if you just shoot at the range only like the 95% of us, then the worse is that you'll have to end your range trip early if your optics go out.

+1

Do you want to look tactically correct? Yes, you need them.

Do you plan on using the particular rifle in question as your #1 SHTF? Yes, you need them.

Are you only going to go to the range, take your kids shooting, and leave it in the safe? No, you won't need them.

Should you spend the extra cash you would spend in a BUIS into a better scope for a safe/range queen? YES.

I'm into tactical stuff, so yes, I have a BUIS on my SB-23 reg'd AR. Is it necessary? No. Is my AR the first rifle I'd grab? No. Would you want or need a BUIS on a sniper rifle? No, though the M24 (without suppressor detail) does have provisions for one. It's a personal call really. The extra $200+ that you'd spend on a quality BUIS would add a lot to upgrade to a nicer scope.

stevie
02-21-2006, 3:42 AM
What they all said, I had an Aimpoint break during a class. My BUIS saved the day, so they do come in handy.