PDA

View Full Version : Sig 226 X-Five magazine trouble

SoCalRandy
04-12-2010, 8:52 PM
I bought an X-Five Competition in .40 cal. and I love it! However, Sig does not make a ten or less magazine for the X-Five. I have always used standard 226 magazines and they work just fine. The problem I have is that it looks pretty stupid and feels uncomfortable to use the standard magazines with the extended mag well (jet funnel?). So, I thought I finally found a solution...

http://www.rocosystem.com/X5magextensionsilver/

My question is: does anybody have any experience with these? For the life of me I can't figure out how to make these work on my factory ten round 226 mags?

Thanks in advance for any input!

Randy

223Dude
04-12-2010, 10:43 PM
I had the same issue when I got my X-5, so I bought the mag extensions from Rocosystem. The only thing though is I was only able to install them on my pre-ban standard capacity magazines. They don't work on the 10 rounders. Maybe you could try and score some standard/high cap mag rebuild kits and figure how to set them up permanently at 10 rounds max with the extension on. Just a thought. But yeah I agree, it is difficult to use the 10 round mags with the magwell. good luck

esskay
04-12-2010, 10:54 PM
Until you sort out the issues with your mags, it is very easy to remove the magwell in the meantime...

Lissauer
04-13-2010, 6:16 AM
I removed the magwell, I am not paying almost 60$ for a base plate.

LoadedM1A
04-13-2010, 8:31 AM
My local gunshop told me to attach some hard foam to the bottom of the magazine. I haven't tried it but gluing something to the bottom of the mag seems like a logical theory

bsg
04-13-2010, 8:44 AM
being obsessive compulsive, i would pay the money for....

-Brady-

esskay
04-13-2010, 10:04 AM
For those with pre-ban mags, the extended basepads made by Roger Sherman work great and are a little cheaper than those linked above. Combined with his spring/follower kit it really increases capacity quite a bit. He's .mil and this is a side business so not sure of his lead times.

Read more: http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/749107162

I'm very sorry everyone...I've been off the net for a while, due to work...I'm still alive and kicking and still have base pads that will increase the capacity of the P226s/X5s and 9mm 229s

I designed the base pads to allow the p226 style magazines to hold up to 24 rounds of 9mm, 18 rounds of .40 and the swat mags will hold 29 or 30 rounds. I've also designed a spring follower kit that will let you get one more round than the standard spring/follower, however, the slide will not lock back (not critical for competition pistols)

The base pads are $30 and the spring follower kits are $20 each and shipping is a flat $6.

It's best to email me at prairiedawgshooter@msn.com or give me a call at 719-268-6872.

I will be going thru my 3,000 emails shortly and getting back to those who've inquired.

Once again, I apologoze for not getting back to you. I appreciate your patience with me.

I'm on the road a lot these days w/ the military and I do not have a business set up.

take care

Roger

SoCalRandy
04-13-2010, 4:22 PM
I had the same issue when I got my X-5, so I bought the mag extensions from Rocosystem. The only thing though is I was only able to install them on my pre-ban standard capacity magazines. They don't work on the 10 rounders. Maybe you could try and score some standard/high cap mag rebuild kits and figure how to set them up permanently at 10 rounds max with the extension on. Just a thought. But yeah I agree, it is difficult to use the 10 round mags with the magwell. good luck

223 Dude, Thanks for the response. I think I will try to do what you suggested and just get a standard magazine sent disassembled and permanently fix it at ten rounds. Anybody have any suggestions for a vendor who sells Sig pistol mags disassembled as parts kits? Maybe I should start a new thread???

THT
04-13-2010, 4:23 PM
223 Dude, Thanks for the response. I think I will try to do what you suggested and just get a standard magazine sent disassembled and permanently fix it at ten rounds. Anybody have any suggestions for a vendor who sells Sig pistol mags disassembled as parts kits? Maybe I should start a new thread???

PM me with what you need ;)

SoCalRandy
04-13-2010, 4:24 PM
being obsessive compulsive, i would pay the money for....

-Brady-

Yep, me too! I already paid $1800 for the gun, what's another $60? I want it to look right and feel right too!

SoCalRandy
04-13-2010, 4:29 PM

Ty, PM sent!!!

BamBam-31
04-13-2010, 6:23 PM
Yep, me too! I already paid $1800 for the gun, what's another $60? I want it to look right and feel right too!

Exactly why I paid the extra $$$ to add the correct base pad to my pre-bans. It just looks and feels right on my X5 Comp.

kyoseki
11-02-2010, 12:28 AM
Apologies for resurrecting this thread, but I'm running into the same problem, however I do not have any pre-ban magazines to get around the issue.

I'm planning on buying an X-Five, but I'd rather not mess about with the stock 226 10 round magazines (it's being shipped to a friend out of state and then being transferred to me through an FFL - all legal and above board).

Is it possible to get the 14 round magazines shipped over disassembled and have them permanently converted to only hold 10 rounds? Is this legal? Has anyone come up with another solution to this problem?

Thanks.

Cyc Wid It
11-02-2010, 12:57 AM
THT (Ty) @ Midwest PX can probably help you with that. PM him.

kyoseki
11-02-2010, 10:50 AM
THT (Ty) @ Midwest PX can probably help you with that. PM him.
Thanks, I dropped him a line but it appears he can't get hold of the magazines from any of his distributors - they just don't show up on the lists even though they're on the Sig site.

Since the gun will be making a stop at the dealer out of state before being shipped to the FFL transfer guy here, I can have them break the magazines down into parts before shipping.

Can anyone recommend a good gunsmith in the Los Angeles area who can permanently modify the magazines to only hold ten rounds?

kyoseki
11-02-2010, 1:58 PM
If anyone's still interested, TJ's Custom Gunworks in Culver City has done this before (made the stock mags CA compliant), it's not cheap, but you apparently retain the ability to open/strip the mag for cleaning.

Edit: Oh, and up north, I'm told that Valkyrie Arms in milpitas will do the same thing.

Having spoke to the guy I'm getting the gun through though, he's not happy with the idea of sending non compliant mags to California, so I respect that decision, I will have a poke around now and try to find someone who can make the little baseplate things for the 10 rounders.

Cyc Wid It
11-02-2010, 2:34 PM
Ah well, figured I'd recommend Ty first. Good to see someone following through with a post though for future reference.

Mastermason11
01-12-2011, 9:02 AM
Anyone figure out a solution or a gunsmith that can do modifications ? I'm on the same boat and the standard 226 mags just bothers me... Please help...

akjunkie
01-12-2011, 12:56 PM
Thanks, I dropped him a line but it appears he can't get hold of the magazines from any of his distributors - they just don't show up on the lists even though they're on the Sig site.

Since the gun will be making a stop at the dealer out of state before being shipped to the FFL transfer guy here, I can have them break the magazines down into parts before shipping.

Can anyone recommend a good gunsmith in the Los Angeles area who can permanently modify the magazines to only hold ten rounds?

Pay an xtra $1 for disassembly fee. Hopefully U can find the mag U need here. And have a smith permanently block/modify to 10rds. Keep everyone posted on your project.

http://www.copesdistributing.net/index.php?cPath=44_51&osCsid=c8f5f88b3da9a6a2612ece78e3ca57d6

luckystrike
01-12-2011, 6:34 PM

Ty is my go to guy for all mags. but no ak mags :(

I wouldnt use the reg 226 mags, just block some 12 or 13rd mags at 10