PDA

View Full Version : Hinged Mag legality ?

JCG
02-20-2006, 4:13 PM
So, I am contemplating an AK build and I am wondering if hinging the mag would be legal? I am thinking of a setup similar to the Cal legal Barrett 82 that was sold before the .50 BMG ban. The mag is attached to the gun so it appears that it would still be a fixed mag. I have not looked into the technical possibilty of it yet, so it may be another road block, just wondering about legality at this point. Seems it would be alot easier to load it this way. Thanks

scott.cr
02-21-2006, 10:03 PM
The SKS has a hinged mag. I don't know if you mean having your AK's mag hinged in the same manner though. You might have to be careful that a hinged mag isn't construed by the law as a hinged mag COVER. (IE. You open the rifle and insert a pre-loaded magazine.)

blkA4alb
02-21-2006, 10:08 PM
i would be all for that idea! i wonder if it could work though. it would be a helluva lot better than loading through the ejection port.

gose
02-21-2006, 10:31 PM
i would be all for that idea! i wonder if it could work though. it would be a helluva lot better than loading through the ejection port.

Hmmm.

A detachable magazine means one that is not fixed to the rifle, right?

So a hinge + a slider would maybe be ok...

Pressing the mag release will release the mag, but since the slider would be attached to the rifle and the mag, it wouldn't fall free, just enough so it clears the magwell. The hinge would then allow you to tilt the magazine so it can be loaded.

The magazine would still be sort of attached to the rifle, so its not detachable, but it's not really fixed either.

Beer really helps creativity :)

blkA4alb
02-21-2006, 10:36 PM
i think this is an idea that we should definatly explore and expand on. when i finally get my lower and parts kit ill look at what options are there for making a hinge. damn now im all excited!!!:D :D :D

xenophobe
02-21-2006, 10:39 PM
Someone needs to make a prototype and then send it off to DOJ for examination.

blkA4alb
02-21-2006, 10:44 PM
i cant wait to get my lower, im getting it from you xenophobe! ill be picking it up this coming monday as well as my 4 AR lowers:D. does this hinge idea sound like it could be feasable legally? i dont see why not personally, but im no lawyer.

JeepRescueService14
02-22-2006, 4:02 PM
Well, on the California Barrett 82A1, the mag swings forward on a dinky little linkage. The mag itself has no provision to lock in on the front. The only thing that keeps the mag in is the front linkage and the mag catch. So, even if you wanted to insert a REAL 82A1 mag you couldnt do it. But Barrett can fix that for you when you leave Ca...
So.. Im thinkin it probably wouldnt work with an AR style magwell.
An AK on the other hand......