PDA

View Full Version : Old SxS shotguns

kdm
04-12-2010, 3:34 PM
At what age would you consider a C&R side by side safe/unsafe to shoot? I'm speaking strictly metallurgically...of course condition, maintenance, and such have much to do with safety. Stuff I'm looking at are non-Damascus barrels, having something along the lines of "Nitro Proof" stamped in the barrels.

In a nutshell, is there a time frame after which I could safely shoot modern shells?

Fjold
04-12-2010, 3:40 PM
I know many people shooting 100+ year old "Nitro-Proof" shotguns. Have a gunsmith check all the brazed joints, etc.

Argonaut
04-12-2010, 4:11 PM
I regularly shoot my LC Smiths including a 10 Gauge hammer gun built prior to 1898. Lock up is important, look for bulged barrels, (many times hard to see) any looseness and buy good quality.....Ithaca, LC Smith, Parker, German guild guns etc. I don't shoot heavy magnums in them.

Z ME FLY
04-12-2010, 4:13 PM
I think with any firearm that you are buying that is that old should be checked out by a gunsmith or the second option is put the rifle on a bench with string on the trigger and stand behind something to protect you and pull! Plus having a gunsmith check it out can't be that much yeah?

tow4dough
04-12-2010, 4:41 PM
i realy dig my old SxS - probably shoots as good as the day it was born.

kdm
04-12-2010, 5:00 PM
Thanks for the info. I'm looking at an old German 12 gauge 2 3/4" boxlock side-by-side. Very good overall condition. Surface rust on the 29" Krupp steel barrels, but no bulges or anything. GECO and Kruppstahl are marked on both barrels.

Something about it is just calling to me...

Mssr. Eleganté
04-12-2010, 6:58 PM
Also, double check that it really has 2 3/4 inch chambers. Unfired 2 3/4 inch shotgun shells will fit into a 2 1/2 inch chamber, but they are unsafe to fire in a 2 1/2 inch chamber.

mjsweims
04-12-2010, 7:20 PM
I regularly shoot my LC Smiths including a 10 Gauge hammer gun built prior to 1898. Lock up is important, look for bulged barrels, (many times hard to see) any looseness and buy good quality.....Ithaca, LC Smith, Parker, German guild guns etc. I don't shoot heavy magnums in them.

Hey don't forget the Austrian guild presentation guns. I use my 1929 16 ga SxS for trap. Have the chambers checked for length. Sometimes they were set up for shorter shells -2-1/2 or 2-9/16. Don't shoot 2-3/4 through these. I do my own reloading and keep the pressures low.

Interloper
04-12-2010, 8:09 PM
The biggest issue is whether or not it has Damascus barrels. You can't shoot modern smokeless ammo in damascus steel.
There is a nitro proof marking for German guns. Dig around and you'll find it. If the gun has the nitro proof mark you are GTG. The only other issue is you don't want to shoot steel shot in older shotguns because the bores are not chromed and will take a beating.