PDA

View Full Version : BLM Land

Deluhathol
04-12-2010, 2:34 PM
I was thinking about heading up to the Cache Creek Wildlife area this coming weekend and a buddy of mine said that you cant drive on that land. I had noticed on the map that it is surrounded by BLM land. I was wondering if anyone either knows or knows where I can find the information as to weather or not I can drive on the BLM land as long as I don't stray from the dirt roads?

10ga-killa
04-12-2010, 4:06 PM
I think the Cache Creek WA is a lot of parking and walking. I believe there are a few access points where you can park, then walk in. I think your buddy is right. Bring your maps and plenty of fuel. It will probably take more than one trip to learn the ropes in that area.

As far as info on where you can't and can drive, I think you will find that out by exploring it when you arrive there.

echo1
04-13-2010, 8:02 AM
Contact the BLM office for that area. It's kind of tricky to fine the right BLM person who knows the answers to your question, but I know they have some seasonal restictions for usage at Cache Creek because of turkey and pig draws. Give us an update when you find out.

taperxz
04-13-2010, 8:36 AM
Thats my back yard. Walk in or horseback only. Across the highway is the road to Indian Valley res. (crappy road) Lots of jumpy people in the area own private land in the area so be careful and stay on the main road. If you are going to drive all the way up there you should be aware that BLM has lots of seasonal road closures in the area that you can access. They dont open up till may 15th. My advice for driving all the way up there is to just go to Cow Mountain or through upper lake to Mendo. Nat. forest.

Deluhathol
04-13-2010, 9:15 AM
I know that the Cache creek Wildlife area is walk-in and horseback only but they area that surrounds that is listed as BLM property (according to the map its not part of Cache Creek) with a few private areas scattered within. I was talking to a friend and he said that he has never heard of any driving restrictions on BLM as long as you stay on the main roads. Anyone else heard otherwise?

Map:
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/lands/wa/region2/docs/cachecreek/CacheCreekWADetailed.pdf

taperxz
04-13-2010, 9:20 AM
Its wrong!! nothing south of 20 is accesible to vehicles in that area. the cache creek wild life area is ALL BLM from highway 16 west to hwy 53

taperxz
04-13-2010, 9:24 AM
This is literally my back yard the only place you can go is on the north side of 20 @ the intersection of 20 and 16 to bear valley which takes you to stonyford, walker ridge which takes you to indian valley res and into the mendo nat. forest and everything between Nice and Long valley road is a seasonal closure and not open until may 15th

taperxz
04-13-2010, 9:26 AM
Also keep in mind that the govenator last year broadend the cache creek area all the way to hwy 16 last year and the map you are showing is old.

Deluhathol
04-13-2010, 10:17 AM
ok your right. I contacted the BLM office and they said the same thing. Do you know if they allow you to camp where ever you want in the Indian Valley Wildlife Area?

taperxz
04-13-2010, 10:47 AM
Yes you can but it is tricky!! If you go in from long valley road, you will run into seasonal closure gates. I know cause i have a key. (i own land beyond the gate). I can go in at walker ridge road where they have campsites. The fishing can be pretty good right now at the resevoir as it is almost full. First time in 4 years! If you go in at bear creek @ hwy16 there is areas of private land and public land so watch out!! If you want to hunt there, there may be pigs and turkey in that area. If you are not hunting watch for people hunting pigs and turkey!!!!! Again you can go to upper lake and into the natl forest at CC camp. Bring a map!! Its a big forest with lots of roads. good luck and have fun