View Full Version : New HD for my laptop setup?

04-12-2010, 9:08 AM
So finally broke down and picked up a new hard drive for my laptop,(the old one had a parts jiggle issue... and would quit randomly) its and old HP Omnibook 900 it was super reliable but started acting up i went to fry's and picked up a 160gb to replace the old 12gb (couldn't find anything smaller (IDE) HDD installed i get the "No OS installed" and it wont start my Win XP disk, i dont have any driver disks for this lappy is there anyway to get it to run and install an OS? any help or ideas??

04-12-2010, 9:27 AM
is the cd drive working? You'll need to run the XP install disc somehow, partition/format the drive then install the OS. Seems like you know this but that is why you get the no OS installed warning.

04-12-2010, 10:07 AM
ok, makes sense i stopped building desktops (hobby not pro.)a while ago when sata came on scene but everything i ever installed had some kind of driver disk (i never understood the need of a partion i worried i'd lose data) how should i go about partioning it? one prob i had with my older desk tops was my MB and CPU wouldnt except any HDD over 100Gb I have to brand new 500gb HDD's that are perfectly useless to me cause they are IDE...

04-12-2010, 10:09 AM
oh sorry and yes the DvD drive works, but wouldnt launch Win XP

04-12-2010, 4:53 PM
ok i formatted th drive still no difference? i can get the drive to spin up but it wont read my XP disk?? and still says No OS??

Corbin Dallas
04-12-2010, 5:07 PM
When booting, press F9 during the HP splash screen and select boot from CD/DVD. They you will need to watch for the "press any key to boot from CD/DVD", this is a microsoft message.

Now you should be able to load XP.

04-12-2010, 5:18 PM
uh, no dice on the F9 it just beeps at me angrily...the disk drive will read because i put in my old norton disk and it asked if i wanted to run anti virus recovery?

04-12-2010, 5:31 PM
some of the laptops its F12 to choose alternative boot device, some F9, depends on the model, try F2 or DEL to get into the BIOS, once in there look for the Boot order, set the CD Drive to the first, reboot, watch for the 'Press any key to boot from CD' screen, press a button and it should launch the xp disc. From there it should take you to the XP installation, I'd Quick Format NTFS, and just install windows, you'll probably need to head to HP's site afterward and download a few drivers to make everything work correctly.

04-12-2010, 5:34 PM
See if you get into the bios and take a look around to see if there is a option to make it boot from the CD.

04-12-2010, 6:29 PM
Done deal! thank you everyone for your help! Man this place has every thing, Calguns only at CALGUNS!!! Corbin i may hit you up about one of your lappys!