PDA

View Full Version : Garand Barrel "gunk"

Once A Marine
04-11-2010, 10:08 PM
I've been soaking my barrel first in evaporust, and the last day or so in mineral spirits. Each time I take it out and run a patch through it, the patch is black as can be for several pulls, then comes out relatively clean.

I soak it again, and the same results. This has been going on for a few days now (I've actually had to go buy a new set of otis patches). How much gunk can collect in this thing?! Is there there a better way to do this?

EricClay
04-12-2010, 12:56 AM
I've been soaking my barrel first in evaporust, and the last day or so in mineral spirits. Each time I take it out and run a patch through it, the patch is black as can be for several pulls, then comes out relatively clean.

I soak it again, and the same results. This has been going on for a few days now (I've actually had to go buy a new set of otis patches). How much gunk can collect in this thing?! Is there there a better way to do this?

Make sure it's not the stuff you're using causing the color on the patches.

If it's a newly acquired M1 then the first time can take a while. I usually go with butches bore shine which makes quick work of the gunk. Even so a newly obtained M1 can take hours to clean the first go around.

The black from the powder residue normally drops off pretty quick and you're left with removing years of copper buildup.

Eric

7.62x54R
04-12-2010, 2:22 AM

Maybe try electronic bore cleaning.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JZgST47rJGk&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JZgST47rJGk&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Once A Marine
04-12-2010, 2:51 AM
I just might give that a try :)

msand951
04-12-2010, 7:26 AM
I used a foam type cleaner like this.
http://www.botachtactical.com/brbfbcboclfo.html
It worked pretty good on my mosin and mausers. I just hang them pointing down and let the foam due the work.
I also use simple green.

campperrykid
04-12-2010, 12:18 PM
FWIW:
It's not uncommon to get large amounts of mixed grease , copper fouling , and carbon when cleaning old milsurps. Could be that you just doing a very good job.
Maybe it's time to switch gears and try some Kroil or other penetrating oil . These are not trustworthy for long term storage but are OK for cleaning. Sometimes motor oil will work wonders after soaking in for week or so.

Stryfe76
04-12-2010, 2:40 PM
What about some Hoppe's no. 9?http://www.hoppes.com/products/solvents.html

Worked for my Yugo 24/47 and Mosin Nagant M44.

tony1970
04-12-2010, 5:41 PM
A hundred rounds of Ball M2 cleaner will do wonders.

Once A Marine
04-12-2010, 6:01 PM
Guess I'll just keep scrubbin and soakin and scrubbin some more :)

Thanks for all the help!

Scratch705
04-12-2010, 6:20 PM
i used sweet's bore cleaner on my 91/30. which even has a warning to remove after 15 minutes of soak time or else it would start damaging the barrel. and even after two applications with a 5 minute break of using hoppes and lots of brushing.

it would still come out dirty...... it was at that point, i gave up and just decided to finish it up with hoppes and a patch of oil, and stored it for the next outing.

weezil_boi
04-12-2010, 8:30 PM
shoot it. clean it. shoot it smore ;)

rjf
04-12-2010, 8:32 PM
Run a brush through it then shoot a couple of clips and clean it while still hot. If it shoots good don't worry about it.

Stryfe76
04-13-2010, 3:11 PM
Should the brush have a certain solvent or cleaner on it when swabbed through the hot bore?

msand951
04-13-2010, 3:28 PM
After a while, sometimes you just have to run some dry patches, shoot it , then go back to cleaning it.

OpenSightsOnly
04-14-2010, 5:54 PM
on one of my rifles, just can't get the gunk out of there! lol!

If the bore is pitted or somewhat pitted, yeah, it will be like that.

I gave up. :o