PDA

View Full Version : Hunting in Cleveland Nat. Forest in OC?

trg-s338
04-11-2010, 7:43 PM
Was wondering if anyone knows if any hunting goes on in this splinter of Cleveland Nat Forest in the OC along the 74, upper San Juan area or anywhere in this section of CNF? If so, what kind and when? Would appreciate any stories of your hunts in this area, any suggestions you might have, if it's allowed. Thanks.

SanPedroShooter
04-11-2010, 7:48 PM
I called the BLM about shooting on their land in the National forest (see geocommunicator) and they said Cleavland national was a no go for shooting.

5shot
04-11-2010, 8:05 PM
http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/cleveland/recreation/hunting/index.shtml

jawbreaker
04-12-2010, 7:47 AM
You can't target shoot in CNF unless it is a designated shooting area. You can hunt in CNF if it is not a game preserve area of the NF. Get some good maps from the Forest Service and check the areas out.

Eckolaker
04-14-2010, 7:40 AM
I hunt in CNF, west of the 74.

LloydXmas250
04-14-2010, 9:13 AM
I hunt in CNF, west of the 74.

What do you go for there?

big jon
04-14-2010, 10:27 AM
I HUNTED BLACK STAR CANYON WHEN I WAS A KID?

CAL.BAR
04-14-2010, 10:34 AM
Hunting in those areas? Forget it! First there is nothing there worth shooting. And Second those areas are actually well populated and I don't know of too many areas in that place where you could fire a rifle shot w/o hitting or nearly hitting someone or something.

ScottB
04-14-2010, 11:30 AM
Also, much of that land is private. Just because its within a national forest doesn't mean its public. Lots of ranches in there. There is game too, but the brush is so thick, its nearly unhuntable and it also holds down wildlife populations.

10ga-killa
04-14-2010, 11:30 AM
Hunting in those areas? Forget it! First there is nothing there worth shooting. And Second those areas are actually well populated and I don't know of too many areas in that place where you could fire a rifle shot w/o hitting or nearly hitting someone or something.

So what about using a shotgun instead?

Mac
04-16-2010, 10:54 PM
During Deer Season. Go to the top of Los Pinos Peak. Take the trail up the hill where the dirt road ends. back a few miles to the Old Oak tree. Plant yourself just below the ridge.
the other direction from Elsinore Wait. they will be along.
Be there near Dawn.

You can camp at bluejay campground. Below.

Go with at LEAST 3 people. It is a long pack out.
And do not stand up straight on the slope where you are waiting (Sit).(loose shale)
So you are near the Oak tree just ahead of it20 yards. Your back is towards Elsinore (you can see the whole place from the top) and your head is below the ridge. Siting on the slope.
facing anohter hill in front.

they stop in the bottom after hauling arse over the ridge in the early A.M. after doing their business down below. When they stop in the canyon. then it is your turn.
If you drop one (just relax) no big deal.
Slide down the canyon on your butt. It's fast and safer than trying to stand up.

don't forget to bring a Sharp pocket knfe and some rope. You know how to field dress - right?

that is the best I can do whitout actually doing it for You.:)

LloydXmas250
04-17-2010, 8:36 AM
Hey Mac. Want to personally show someone interested in deer hunting?

Mac
04-17-2010, 11:34 AM
Hey Mac. Want to personally show someone interested in deer hunting?

those days are over for me. Don't have the legs for it anymore. Reading my post I sound like I am reliving it. Jeez! With the Internet now. should not be too hard to hook up with people who hunt Los Pinos
peak. I think. Not a crowded place. :)

ScottB
04-17-2010, 12:48 PM
those days are over for me. Don't have the legs for it anymore. Reading my post I sound like I am reliving it. Jeez! With the Internet now. should not be too hard to hook up with people who hunt Los Pinos
peak. I think. Not a crowded place. :)

It will be now ....

DirtyDave
04-17-2010, 2:08 PM
Yeah after that description, i think half of calguns is going to be up there now

Mac
04-17-2010, 3:01 PM
Yeah after that description, i think half of calguns is going to be up there now
And half of those will fall out before they hit the Oak Tree.:)
it's a far piece. Please forgive me Uncle, I gave up the Secret. Not really though people have been hunting up there since the road from Capistrano Was all Dirt.

skanless
04-17-2010, 4:41 PM
During Deer Season. Go to the top of Los Pinos Peak. Take the trail up the hill where the dirt road ends. back a few miles to the Old Oak tree. Plant yourself just below the ridge.
Be there near Dawn.

And do not stand up straight on the slope where you are waiting (Sit).(loose shale)
So you are near the Oak tree just ahead of it20 yards. Your back is towards Elsinore (you can see the whole place from the top) and your head is below the ridge. Siting on the slope.

they stop in the bottom after hauling arse over the ridge in the early A.M. after doing their business down below. When they stop in the canyon. then it is your turn.
Slide down the canyon on your butt. It's fast and safer than trying to stand up.

don't forget to bring a Sharp pocket knfe and some rope. You know how to field dress - right?

Sweet info.

CavTrooper
04-17-2010, 5:00 PM
Be there near Dawn.

Either someone you HATE hunts that spot or you are one funny cat! Either way, good post!

theseacow
04-17-2010, 6:08 PM
new party spot?