PDA

View Full Version : AR-15 uppers for hunting on a budget

lewdogg21
04-11-2010, 5:15 PM
Ok folks. So daddy here won his fantasy hockey league and I should have about $500 to buy an upper and finish out my AR. I have my lower, parts kit, folding stock (will probably swap for or buy an A2), and mags.

So what I'm asking the hunting forum is what is an economical choice of AR upper. I'm looking for something that is portable (no 24" stainless bull 15lb rifle) that I can carry in the field for yotes and also use from the bench for squirrels should I get the opportunity to go.

Now, I haven't had the opportunity to go to shops and hold the various uppers but I'm thinking a 16" bull, 18" or 20" RRA coyote, or 16-20" heavy barrel.

What say you?

CavTrooper
04-11-2010, 5:37 PM
Check midwayusa, they have a good price on the DPMS 18" SASS barrel.

Some clown here was trying to sell for 300 or something, its like 180 there NEW!

theseacow
04-11-2010, 6:37 PM
I personally see no reason to use those heavy barrels for easy field/hunting use. The lighter stuff will be plenty accurate and you'll be more accurate with it since it won't weight much. Are you set on using .223? A good trigger IMO is pretty important as well for the hunting setups.

Baxter
04-11-2010, 10:27 PM
16" regular barrel, you will already have too much gear. Seacow said it best, good trigger. If you check the classifieds you should be able to find a good deal.