PDA

View Full Version : DIY: AR15/AK Magazine-integrated Mag Release Tool for pennies

gunn
04-11-2010, 5:59 PM
Hi,
It's been raining all day here in SF so I decided to find a project to keep me entertained this morning and came up with this idea based on an item another calgunner has up for sale. This idea is good enough that I felt it warranted a thread to tell others how to do it -- even though I distinctly did NOT want to threadcrap in the Thordo's bullet button tool thread.

Basically, when I saw that other thread, I immediately thought of something else I had laying around the house that could do the job:

For those of you who have built your own PCs before, the little brass stand-offs that you screw into the PC case (pictured to the right) make the perfect bullet button release bolts.

The installation should be fairly self explanatory but here are some
Tips:
* In my jar o' PC screws, I had two distinct sizes of these standoffs. The smaller brass ones fit the bullet button hole but the bigger silver colored ones didn't for me.
* I drilled a hole in my 10/30 USGI mags with a 3/32" drill bit.
* I found "egging" (making it oblong) out the hole just a little bit gave enough of a purchase to start the brass standoffs threading the 3/32" hole.
* I also found that there were two different threadings on these brass standoffs. The "fine threaded" standoffs worked better as I could get them started in threading the hole.
* A 1/4" ratchet with a 5mm socket on it worked just fine in giving me enough torque to really get the stand-off mounted on the magazine.

Comments:
* I also played with whether or not the same tabs could work on my AK mags.
* The same setup from the AR mags seemed to work w/o any issues on my Solar Tactical type maglock on one AK but another's AK has the JumboPanda style lock (not open on one side.
* You can screw another standoff into the stand-off you've mounted on the magazine to make it "extra long". This gave me enough length to actuate the mag release on the jumbo panda lock but one the magazine was released, the lever would swing back and "catch" the extra long standoff. I may have to rethink this idea for one of my AKs (or replace the mag lock).

The picture should explain everything.
Regards,
-g

http://i40.tinypic.com/ayoqop.jpg

gunn
04-16-2010, 10:12 AM
I tackled my AK mags last night. Since they were steel, I had to stop by Lowes and pick up a 6-32 plug tap and matching drill bit set for $4.24

It worked like a charm.
One comment:
* Your AK maglock needs to be the kind that's open on one side -- my standoffs would get hung on the kind that's just a little hole at the bottom that you need to lever.

AndrewMendez
04-16-2010, 12:24 PM
not a bad idea at all.

MadRiverArms
04-16-2010, 2:30 PM
Oh that is an awesome use for leftover MB stand-offs. Better watch out I read somewhere that some guy here on Calguns has a patent pending on this item, LOL. (Tongue in cheek people so don't flame me)

-G