PDA

View Full Version : Beowulf and USGI mags

Justang
02-19-2006, 6:06 PM
The standard 30rd mags will fit 10 Beowulf rounds. You do have to modify the USGI mag to fit the Beowulf. Is it legal to fix a USGI mag modified for a beowulf to our cali legal lowers?

blacklisted
02-19-2006, 6:19 PM
The standard 30rd mags will fit 10 Beowulf rounds. You do have to modify the USGI mag to fit the Beowulf. Is it legal to fix a USGI mag modified for a beowulf to our cali legal lowers?

From Gunblast: The standard magazine holds seven of the fat cartridges, but a standard thirty-round AR-15 magazine will hold twelve of the .50 Beowulfs, with only a slight modification of the feed lips needed to function properly with the big cartridges. p

This area of the law is very unclear, but the answer would be NO if it does indeed hold 12.

It would help if there was a magazine specifically marketed as a 10 round .50 beowulf magazine. If this was the case, it would not matter if it held more of a different caliber. Someone posted a letter from the DoJ with that question on it a while back.

ETA: Here's one of the threads: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=16217&highlight=magazine+hold+rounds+caliber

another: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=24722&highlight=magazine+hold+rounds+caliber

Justang
02-19-2006, 7:22 PM
I have legally obtained AR15 magazines. I'm just worried about the features ban, since it says you have to have a fixed 10rd magazine. These would actually be a fixed 20rd magazine for .223, but a fixed 8rd magazine for a beowulf.

TheMan
02-19-2006, 7:25 PM
A standard USGI 30 round mag, with a magpul follower, holds exactly 10 rounds of .50 Beowulf. I just did it with an old Labelle that I have. It can ALMOST squeeze 11 in, maybe if you cut the legs on the follower, or have a follower that tilts, it MIGHT allow you to squeeze one more in.

ETA I'm pretty sure the 20 round mags only hold 7 rounds of .50 Beo.

Justang
02-19-2006, 7:31 PM
A standard USGI 30 round mag, with a magpul follower, holds exactly 10 rounds of .50 Beowulf. I just did it with an old Labelle that I have. It can ALMOST squeeze 11 in, maybe if you cut the legs on the follower, or have a follower that tilts, it MIGHT allow you to squeeze one more in.

Cool, then if this is do-able then then I'll get a magpul follwer for my standard cap USGI mag.

Doesn't matter how many they carry. Just looking to stay 10 or less. :)

grammaton76
02-19-2006, 7:39 PM

Hmm. I'm thinking we have a legal course of action for creating 10rd Beo mags:

1. Order the appropriate parts for a full-cap standard mag from Brownell's, make sure you have the Magpul follower.

2. Before assembling anything, tweak/expand/whatever the feed lips appropriately for the Beowulf.

3. Verifying that 223's just fall straight through, so there's no way it'd be a 30rd 5.56mm mag

4. Assemble your new Beowulf mag, at which point you are NOT assembling anything other than a 10rd Beowulf mag. Step 3 here has ensured you're not committing the manufacture of a full-cap mag at this point.

Should be absolutely legit...

Justang
02-19-2006, 7:45 PM
Hmm. I'm thinking we have a legal course of action for creating 10rd Beo mags:

1. Order the appropriate parts for a full-cap standard mag from Brownell's, make sure you have the Magpul follower.

2. Before assembling anything, tweak/expand/whatever the feed lips appropriately for the Beowulf.

3. Verifying that 223's just fall straight through, so there's no way it'd be a 30rd 5.56mm mag

4. Assemble your new Beowulf mag, at which point you are NOT assembling anything other than a 10rd Beowulf mag. Step 3 here has ensured you're not committing the manufacture of a full-cap mag at this point.

Should be absolutely legit...

That was my initial thought. If the 223's just fall right through, it's not a .223 mag anymore. I just fear what a DA or the DOJ would say. Figured they might say, "but with a pinch of the mag's you have a 'hi-cap' .223 mag, which is a crime."

PanzerAce
02-19-2006, 8:05 PM
um, doesnt AA sell 7 round Beo mags? You could always just use those.

grammaton76
02-19-2006, 8:08 PM
That was my initial thought. If the 223's just fall right through, it's not a .223 mag anymore. I just fear what a DA or the DOJ would say. Figured they might say, "but with a pinch of the mag's you have a 'hi-cap' .223 mag, which is a crime."

Unless I'm mistaken, the Beo process is to actually file away metal from the lips to widen them. If they're as wide as I would think, you couldn't bend them back together without destroying the mag, right?

Guns R Tools
02-19-2006, 8:19 PM
Wouldn't most 10 rounds .40 S&W mag can be "pinched" to hold 10+ 9mm rounds?

What would DOJ say to that?

blacklisted
02-19-2006, 8:22 PM

That would be "manufacuturing a high capacity magazine".

Merely possessiong a 10 round .40 S&W mag is not a crime though. It would be kind of hard to prove that you modified it...

Stupid, isn't it?

Justang
02-19-2006, 8:32 PM
OH, I'd never heard you have to file the magazine. I thought you just flared the lips and that was it. If you have to file, then I'm all for it. That's a perm. modification.

phish
02-19-2006, 8:46 PM
*dupe*

blacklisted typed faster!

grammaton76
02-19-2006, 8:47 PM

I believe someone wrote a letter to the DOJ recently to find out. I'm particularly interested in knowing, myself... since the CZ-75B's available in 40cal, and the same ninjitsu applies to it.

Justang
02-20-2006, 7:29 AM
Does anybody have a "how-to" file the mag for a beowulf?

Mikedril
02-20-2006, 9:55 AM
Does anybody have a "how-to" file the mag for a beowulf?

Thermold mags, that are built to hold 30 rounds of .223, work with no modification. I have 5 of them that hold and feed 10 rounds of .50 Beowulf just fine. It may be that the Thermold mags flex a little more than metal mags, but they work just fine "out of the box".

TheMan
02-20-2006, 12:58 PM
Unless I'm mistaken, the Beo process is to actually file away metal from the lips to widen them. If they're as wide as I would think, you couldn't bend them back together without destroying the mag, right?

They don't have to be widened out that far. The 5.56 ammo still fits into the mags, and doesn't pop out. Even on the 7 round mag Alexander Arms sells, the 5.56 will stay in there.

m98
02-20-2006, 8:24 PM
They don't have to be widened out that far. The 5.56 ammo still fits into the mags, and doesn't pop out. Even on the 7 round mag Alexander Arms sells, the 5.56 will stay in there.

but with a quick tap to say a table, the 556's all should fly out of the mag. my 25wssm mags would hold like 3 or 5 rds of 556's but if you move the first round/touch it or tap the mag on a hard surface, all the ammo would just come out like the mag was barfing out ammo.