PDA

View Full Version : M1 carbine price

16in50calNavalRifle
04-11-2010, 9:06 AM
I'll be checking around the web at the usual auction sites, but just wondering what the views were around here about a price for an M1 carbine. Inland receiver and barrel (1943), bore looks to be in good shape, stock pretty nice (dark, probably indicating a long time since refurbishment). Local gun shop is asking $895 - of course tax and DROS would add considerably to that.

Input/comments welcome.

Chemtchr
04-11-2010, 9:47 AM
$1000.00 out the door seems high. You could do better, I think, at a gun show. Obviously with a C&R license or buying through CMP you could do a lot better.

kurac
04-11-2010, 9:48 AM
Keep your eyes in the classified section on this website, Inlands are trading for $500-$650 mostly due to the 40,000+ carbines the CMP has sold in the last 3 years.

ShooterDK
04-11-2010, 10:06 AM
Definitely look around. Carbine prices have somewhat softened recently. If the rifle is a mix master with a beater stock and late features then $895 is too high.

One of the shops in Stockton recently had 4 mix master beaters at $699 each. They've been sitting there awhile now. They also had an Inland show up witch was all Inland Type 1 and 2 parts, cartouche,etc. priced at $799. I grabbed it!

Good luck on your search.

mls343
04-11-2010, 12:42 PM
Check out CMP - www.thecmp.org

While they are out of Service Grade Carbines, there are still a number of pretty decent rack grades available.

microwaveguy
04-11-2010, 2:08 PM
Check out CMP - www.thecmp.org

While they are out of Service Grade Carbines, there are still a number of pretty decent rack grades available.

I just can't say enough good-things about the CMP. If you want a Carbine that is the place to get one.

As stated, the CMP is the only way to go.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=252709
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=263693
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=252180
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=266272
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=245008

16in50calNavalRifle
04-11-2010, 9:55 PM
Many many thanks to all who have posted in reply so far. Exactly the perspectives I was seeking.

Part of my dilemma is that I'm really looking for a "shooter with history" - and not really an item to fill a whole in my non-existent collection, or as an investment that will appreciate - kind of a gray area. I haven't even begun to scratch the surface of all the variations and aspects of collectibility in the area of WWII US milsurps - and I don't see myself really doing it.

I'm somewhat tempted by the prospect of a project gun that would involve some reworking and parts replacement (perhaps a bad draw from CMP), though again, a shooter is what I'd really like. I just want it to function well and look decent.

I've considered the Auto Ordnance M1 reproductions - whose price is inching up towards the M1 I referenced in my original post. Several different people who own/shoot them have told me they're fine, and might scratch the itch of having and using that great compact design.

I'm aware of CMP and their (dwindling?) rack-grade carbine situation (good long thread on that topic right here in Curio & Relics). I haven't done the fairly easy things to become CMP-eligible, though I could probably do that in 2weeks.

I would be willing to pay a little more for the advantage of inspecting/handling the M1 myself before buying. I try to look at the local gun shops' offerings that way. Plus I do try, where reasonable, to support the local shops, who have always been good to me and represent that precious FFL element in the system that currently exists.

What I'd really like is a time-machine so I could go back and get a good one for $59 from a military surplus store in the early 70s. Tragically lacking such a device, it's on to ponder Plan B, with the assistance of you kind folks ....

echo1
04-12-2010, 9:30 PM
Riverbank Armory in Riverbank, CA specializes in M1, M1A, M14, & M1 Carbines and have various grades. If you decide to go with a shop they'll have what you want. No store front.

Freebird76
04-12-2010, 9:45 PM
Isn't Riverbank known as sellers of counterfeit "original" carbine parts?

TRICKSTER
04-12-2010, 10:18 PM
Isn't Riverbank known as sellers of counterfeit "original" carbine parts?

+1. See http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=281924

wolff
04-16-2010, 9:56 PM
Well, they're not shooters with history, but if you want an M1 Carbine to shoot, an Alpine-built carbine could be an inexpensive way to go!

That said, if you do want a carbine with history, but don't want to take it up the bum in price, there's one in my safe that I've decided to sell. Only had it about ten months - Inland 1944, no import marks. Formerly owned by a Marine Colonel living by the 29 Palms Marine Base. He brought it back from Korea. He used to work with the young shooters program at the Base. This carbine has a great feel and rich look. It's been shot, to be sure, but not to death - Asking $850.00; I did go through it with the M1 Carbine book, and it checks out as being correct. I'm curious now, and I'll try to get the barrel gauged this weekend. PM me if interested, and I'll take some pics. I'm in SoCal, and have an 03 FFL.

PEZHEAD265
04-17-2010, 7:09 AM
A poor mans muzzle guage for the carbine is a 30-06 M2 ball rd if you stick it in and there is about a 1/8 inch gap or more before you hit the case it is good to go for a while any thing less it is on it's way out.

TRICKSTER
04-17-2010, 8:19 PM
A poor mans muzzle guage for the carbine is a 30-06 M2 ball rd if you stick it in and there is about a 1/8 inch gap or more before you hit the case it is good to go for a while any thing less it is on it's way out.

Unless it's been counterboared. It could swallow a M2 round and still shoot great. Always look for a counterbore before you discount a rifle that fails the bullet test. You could be passing up a good deal.

Dr.Mauser
04-17-2010, 9:49 PM
i know its been said before but hither twice to the CMP, I've ordered from them a couple of times and they will NEVER disappoint, at least in my opinion.

gotshotgun?
05-02-2010, 5:54 PM
Unless it's been counterboared. It could swallow a M2 round and still shoot great. Always look for a counterbore before you discount a rifle that fails the bullet test. You could be passing up a good deal.

A .308 bullet is .307 and a 30-06 bullet is .308 diameter so dong this test with the narrower .308 bullet is ok if the barrel to case is 3/16inch right?

dfletcher
05-02-2010, 7:16 PM
A .308 bullet is .307 and a 30-06 bullet is .308 diameter so dong this test with the narrower .308 bullet is ok if the barrel to case is 3/16inch right?

Unless I've been doing something wrong (or misunderstanding) the .308 is .308 diameter and so is the 30.06.

Fate
05-02-2010, 7:32 PM
Riverbank Armory in Riverbank, CA specializes in M1, M1A, M14, & M1 Carbines and have various grades. If you decide to go with a shop they'll have what you want. No store front.

Riverbank Armory is a charlatan and snake oil salesman. Well documented purveyor of REPRODUCTION/Made in China parts that he stamps with the "correct" codes. He'll rape you on the price too. I would trust a used car lot salesman in a tweed jacket before trusting ANYTHING that got within the same zip code as Riverbank Armory.

Clear? ;)

Heatseeker
05-02-2010, 8:01 PM
Riverbank Armory is a charlatan and snake oil salesman. Well documented purveyor of REPRODUCTION/Made in China parts that he stamps with the "correct" codes. He'll rape you on the price too. I would trust a used car lot salesman in a tweed jacket before trusting ANYTHING that got within the same zip code as Riverbank Armory.

Clear? ;)

Not so fast... while the Riverbank Armory may be BS, there is a very honest and decent FFL operating in the same zip code ;) . He is also a member of this forum.

TRICKSTER
05-02-2010, 8:37 PM
Not so fast... while the Riverbank Armory may be BS, there is a very honest and decent FFL operating in the same zip code ;) . He is also a member of this forum.

The problem is, good old George at Riverbank uses many names. You have to be more specific as to who your talking about.

Chemtchr
05-02-2010, 8:45 PM
Many many thanks to all who have posted in reply so far. Exactly the perspectives I was seeking.

What I'd really like is a time-machine so I could go back and get a good one for $59 from a military surplus store in the early 70s. Tragically lacking such a device, it's on to ponder Plan B, with the assistance of you kind folks ....

I always get a kick out of people lamenting the fact that they missed out on the '60's and '70's prices of guns. A $59 carbine in 1978 would have taken me 13 hours of labor at $4.50 an hour which is what I made when I first starting working construction. Now those 13 hours buys me an $800 carbine. All prices and wages before taxes, of course.

Heatseeker
05-03-2010, 9:07 PM
The problem is, good old George at Riverbank uses many names. You have to be more specific as to who your talking about.

The guy I'm talking about is definitely not affiliated with Riverbank Armory.

He goes by gowking here on Calguns. He is a straight up, honest guy and a personal friend of mine.