PDA

View Full Version : Mosin trigger wobbles all over

68Datsun510
04-11-2010, 4:48 AM
Is this how a mosin trigger spring should look??? One would think it should be more flat... Only other Nagant I fired had no play in the trigger whereas if you shake the gun i bought my trigger wobbles all over...

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m217/5anddimer/Miscellaneous/100_0951.jpg

duckman1
04-11-2010, 5:42 AM
You need to true the ferris wheel, it's out of alignment.

Fate
04-11-2010, 9:10 AM
It's a spring. It's supposed to be curved. Mosins were also designed with very loose tolerances. It's what allows it to keep working in battlefield mud, blood and water.

That said, you can buy a replacement sear spring from Mark Kubes and swap it out if it's not working for you.

iareConfusE
04-11-2010, 9:33 AM
Its normal. My Mosin trigger wobbles everywhere. They don't have trigger return springs, so they don't feel as crisp and smooth as some other rifles.

C.W.M.V.
04-11-2010, 9:48 AM
Is Mosin-is shoot. The trigger is normal.

bigstick61
04-11-2010, 12:33 PM
My trigger doesn't wobble, but it has TONS of creep, like over a 1/4", which is ridiculous, and the pull is kind of heavy and also uneven. It's hard to get any decent accuracy out of a weapon with a bad trigger. I've been thinking about replacing it in the future with one of those Huber Concepts triggers. The exposed portion looks just like an original and it should completely fix the problem; the catch is that they cost more than half of the value of the rifle.

Z ME FLY
04-11-2010, 12:37 PM
My trigger doesn't wobble, but it has TONS of creep, like over a 1/4", which is ridiculous, and the pull is kind of heavy and also uneven. It's hard to get any decent accuracy out of a weapon with a bad trigger. I've been thinking about replacing it in the future with one of those Huber Concepts triggers. The exposed portion looks just like an original and it should completely fix the problem; the catch is that they cost more than half of the value of the rifle.

You know if you want to lighten up the trigger you can put a couple of pieces of til foil or use a square cut out of a can then but it under the screw that holds the trigger I believe. I haven't taken apart my mosin in awhile so bear with me. Basically the material there lightens the trigger pull a lot.

Tho_Sun
04-11-2010, 12:48 PM
There is a writeup here about how to fix up the trigger. You can use the search button but i was never good at it.

Okay,

So when your looking at your trigger assembly, you'll notice that your trigger might wobble. If you look at the piece that gets screwed against the receiver, it should look like a straight piece of metal. If you bend the front half closest to the screw upwards, it should tighten the trigger against the receiver preventing any wobble. When you bend the far end down, it lowers the notch that catches the bolt. The further down you bend the back piece, the less travel you will get before the break. Don't lower it too much as it won't catch the bolt. Since you are merely bending the metal, you can always reverse if you go to far. As for the polishing, I only polished the part that catches the bolt, the square head part, and the part in front of it as that is where the trigger makes contact with the sear. I did not round the corners as I want a solid catch and don't want the trigger going off if bumped by rounding the corner of the square head.

This link pathfinder posted has a much better visual explanation. Let me know if this helps. The amount of bend will differ for each gun.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=135303

If this all sounds too much, you can shim the trigger like Z me Fly said. It's easyer and faster.

Tho_Sun
04-11-2010, 12:52 PM
oh i forgot to mention, when you bend the center of the sear up toward the bolt, it also reduces the trigger pull weight, distance and eliminates the creep. Be careful as too much bend causes the notch to not be able to catch the bolt causeing it to fire upon closure. Be sure to work the bolt like 50 times a few sessions before you take it out to make sure everything is working in order.

68Datsun510
04-11-2010, 7:12 PM
Thanks for the info folks, wasnt sure if that was normal or if somethin was off inside the weapon.

Tomorrow i steam blast the gun to remove cosmo, and get it ready to use!

Argonaut
04-11-2010, 7:25 PM
That is one reason why I have Mausers..........

C.W.M.V.
04-12-2010, 11:06 AM

My M38 outshoots my M48 all day long. I like em both but if I had to choose between the two M38 for functionality and accuracy all the way. The mauser is alot prettier though!

Dr. Peter Venkman
04-12-2010, 11:49 AM

Different rifles for different purposes. I'll take my K98s over my 91/30s anyday of the week, but the reverse is true if I can throw in Finnish Mosins into the mix.

Spiggy
04-12-2010, 11:53 AM

:rolleyes: someone needs to bring out the troll spray

I have a finnish trigger in my major use mosin. You can find these regularly on gun parts sites like numrich.

Argonaut
04-12-2010, 12:11 PM
Mosins are only popular now because they are so cheep and ammo has become available.......I remember when you could mail order them from the back pages of Outdoor Life for 7.50, Mausers were 28.00 and they couldn't sell the Mosins then. Now they have been "discovered" and everybody has them. They were never better than adequate rifles built on a crude design by mostly substandard manufacturers. Do you suppose there is a reason they have never been used as the basis for custom rifles? Everyone likes to defend there choice in stuff, cars, guns and whatever but the guys that think they are the "best" have never been around anything fine. Compare them with a period M91 Mauser, a Swiss or Steyr. They are not even in the same league let alone competitors. Sort of like comparing a Mustang to a Mercedes SL.....

jamesob
04-12-2010, 12:18 PM
i have one that has a decent trigger and the other flops around and has a mile of pull, it is what it is.

C.W.M.V.
04-12-2010, 12:45 PM
Mosins are only popular now because they are so cheep and ammo has become available.......I remember when you could mail order them from the back pages of Outdoor Life for 7.50, Mausers were 28.00 and they couldn't sell the Mosins then. Now they have been "discovered" and everybody has them. They were never better than adequate rifles built on a crude design by mostly substandard manufacturers. Do you suppose there is a reason they have never been used as the basis for custom rifles? Everyone likes to defend there choice in stuff, cars, guns and whatever but the guys that think they are the "best" have never been around anything fine. Compare them with a period M91 Mauser, a Swiss or Steyr. They are not even in the same league let alone competitors. Sort of like comparing a Mustang to a Mercedes SL.....

Well the venerable AK series falls into most if not all the same categories you have listed, yet it is the best assault rifle in the world, the only thing western weapons have on it is accuracy and in a 50 meter firefight the difference is next to nothing.

So what if they are cheap?! If were going off of price then my old M4 with super-duper ACOG/red-dot combo with M203, PAQ2, Surfire light and ultra high speed forward grip with internally collapsing bipod should be up there with the great weapons of all time-but I hated it! Never put anything down with one shot! I promise you if you hit a guy with the Old 54R he's going down.

The Mosin Nagant series rifles exhibit the best in what Russian weapons have to offer-they work, all the time and anywhere you may be, they will work.

I have AK types, Mosin M38, Mauser and I carried an M16 type's for 8 years. The M16 is the only one I will NEVER buy if I have my way.

C.W.M.V.
04-12-2010, 12:49 PM
:rolleyes: someone needs to bring out the troll spray

http://i512.photobucket.com/albums/t322/dotson_kc/258Troll_spray.jpg