PDA

View Full Version : hunting boot recommendations

geewizz
04-10-2010, 11:57 PM
Hey there,

Looking to pick up a new pair of hunting boots. Was thinking about Danner pronghorns unisulated for hunting dogs and pigs in california. Any recommendations out there. Its been a while since I bought a pair of boots so all he stuff out there now is new to me.

Thanks

G

antonio
04-11-2010, 12:05 AM
Can't go wrong with Danner Boots

duckman1
04-11-2010, 6:08 AM
I've had my pair of Danner Pronghorns for 3 years now and I love em. Once the break in you can wear them all day with no fatigue.

ScottB
04-11-2010, 6:42 AM
I suppose some folks would take it as endorsement if i said I bought bought a lot of Danners over the years. Truth is, I am not far into my 2nd pair in 20 years. The first pair was virtually indestructible (after 15 years, the boots are still good, if in need of a resole, but my shoe size changed) This pair is essentially the same model and looks to be the same quality. In all that time I have never had a blister. Fit and comfort are great.

I will say this: Get the made in USA ones. They cost a little more but are of much higher quality than the stuff you see on the rack at Bass Pro or wherever. Those are made in China and are just the same average stuff as every other brand and you will be buying another pair in couple years. Best place to get them is off the Danner website. http://www.danner.com The service is great and the prices are about the same as any other retailer.

geewizz
04-11-2010, 10:42 AM
I suppose some folks would take it as endorsement if i said I bought bought a lot of Danners over the years. Truth is, I am not far into my 2nd pair in 20 years. The first pair was virtually indestructible (after 15 years, the boots are still good, if in need of a resole, but my shoe size changed) This pair is essentially the same model and looks to be the same quality. In all that time I have never had a blister. Fit and comfort are great.

I will say this: Get the made in USA ones. They cost a little more but are of much higher quality than the stuff you see on the rack at Bass Pro or wherever. Those are made in China and are just the same average stuff as every other brand and you will be buying another pair in couple years. Best place to get them is off the Danner website. http://www.danner.com The service is great and the prices are about the same as any other retailer.

Thanks Scottb,
I hear the old ones are great. I see alot of people complaining about the new ones leaking. So if you order directly from Danner you don't get the made in china ones? If thats the case I'm down with that.

ScottB
04-11-2010, 11:12 AM
You can get either. Its just that the American made ones are expensive so most stores don't stock them. In the long run, they end up costing you a less money though. The descriptions will tell you which ones are US manufacture. Generally they are the ones with the welted stitched soles. I have never gotten wet feet. Last decmber I spent a week tromping through snow on an elk hunt and had dry feet all week. If you want an all beige boot, look at the marine(as in soldier) boots. Several models are essentially the same and, I think, better looking. Both versions are mil-spec. Customer service is very good at helping you decide and get a proper fit.

Argonaut
04-11-2010, 1:18 PM
I like Danner's a lot (anything made in Portland has to be good) but wear Whites. I prefer a boot to breath so the waterproof boots are saved for wet weather wear. The most important thing is fit and then a sole strong enough to protect from stone bruises. I weigh 235 lbs so that requires a heavier sole than my wife's 145 lbs. I like Vibram soles. White boots does not believe in Steel shanks, preferring that the boot mould its self to your foot. They are also custom built to YOUR feet, individually. I have a wide foot and the Danner's don't give me a good fit. Red wing used to have a great selection of widths and lengths to fit but I don't know how they are these days. If you are going to buy Danners, Go to the Factory Outlet (and Factory) not far from the Portland Airport. The prices there are much better.

echo1
04-11-2010, 3:16 PM
than my wife's 145 lbs.

Are you psycho, you know you're a dead man.

Argonaut
04-11-2010, 3:25 PM
Are you psycho, you know you're a dead man.

.................................She doesn't read my posts...................................

kakinuma-kun
04-11-2010, 6:52 PM
I've owned Redwing boots for more than 30 years, first as a youth hunting/hiking with my dad, through today when my only hiking boots are the same pair of Redwings that I've had for ten years. Being an avid hiker and hunter, I've tried many, many boots through the years, and always come back to my Redwings. My buddies who work for the Forest Service or are afield for their jobs have also had the same experience, always coming back to their Redwings.

Main advantages: made of leather so that the leather takes any damage rather than your foot, and leather can last a long time; traditional Vibram sole is time-tested and tough; sole can be re-soled, unlike most "modern" hiking boots whose soles are glued together or bonded permanently; Redwing store will clean, oil, and otherwise maintain your boots for life, including free laces, free of charge. Great customer service and I've never had a bad experience in a store.

Redwings were always made in the US, but I'm not sure of the situation today. My own boot recommendation is the Redwing Chuka boot (http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=1G8X), which is made in the USA. Another advantage in years past was the variety of widths in which Redwings were available. Not sure about today...best bet is to visit a Redwing store.

You can see both of the Redwing Chuka Boott via Amazon, or go to a local store.

Good luck.

Argonaut
04-11-2010, 9:51 PM
I have been disappointed the last few times I was in a Redwing store. They have stopped making several of the boots I used to wear every day. I to like the Chukkas and wore the all leather ones with the cork impregnated composite soles. it looked like many of there boots were Brazilian made like other brands that are cheapening. They own the Vasque line also and that line has changed too. Try them out to see what they have today, They used to be wonderful but I suppose in this throw away society they have to compete too. Irish setter and Browning used to have great boots too.......nothing stays the same.

wjc
04-11-2010, 11:25 PM
Danners :)

suprafaz
04-12-2010, 4:52 PM
Football cleats! ...at least in the summer. I hunt in steep terrain in the summer and nothing beats football cleats. Unlike my hunting boots, i dont get arch pains. I have a cheap pair and they are light, breathable, sturdy and grip the terrain like no other. There made to run so rest assure they will hold. Only con is they dont make them water resistant.