PDA

View Full Version : monterey bay salmon report

bigboarstopper
04-10-2010, 3:15 PM
Last weeks opener was with mixed results. Majority of the fish that were cought were out of moss landing and north.

Took the boat out this morning. Launched out of monterey harbor. Headed north half way to moss landing. Put the gear in the water and hooked up within 10 minutes. Fish was just over the 20'' size regulation. Within an hour the weather picked up substantially and the wind blew 20+ knots. We had a 45 minute ride back to the harbor with chop comming over the bow. There were reports of people with larger fish being cought and many others who cought nothing. Didnt hear of anyone catching a limit. Todays wether is supposed continue through the weekend.

G-Man WC
04-10-2010, 4:14 PM
In a normal salmon season, the season does open earlier in the south.
The bite is better starting in the south, (Santa Cruz, Monterey, and Moss Landing) and progress up north later in the year. With hogs in Sept and Oct in mostly flat calm weather. Well for northern California it's calm!
Three years ago we had good luck at the bar a few miles out from Pt. Bonita, the light bucket, and at slide ranch. I'd bet DF&G game closes salmon down before the months out. I guess it's one way for the state to get out of having to pay the commercial guys another year.
There is a patch of warm water starting to show at the dog bone. Maybe a El Nino year. Come on Albies.
Not sure I'd be on the water right now, but good luck. -g

pgquackstacker
04-10-2010, 6:02 PM
I'm trying to go next time I go home from school because I'm from PG but I haven't heard many good results except for monday I heard of some limits.