PDA

View Full Version : Century Arms Enfield No.4 Mk1?

iareConfusE
04-10-2010, 8:58 AM
CAI is selling these for pretty cheap right now. Advertised condition is "good with cracked stock"

Has anybody purchased one of these rifles from them? For $150 it seems like one hell of a steal, but at that price it almost sounds too good to be true. Everywhere else seems to be selling them for $200-300 and even upwards of this.

Anybody got some insight on this?

dfletcher
04-10-2010, 9:10 AM
My bet is they're probably pretty crapped up - do they mention bore condition? Pretty much everything on the Enfield is readily replaceable, but a lousy bore would be a deal killer for me.

iareConfusE
04-10-2010, 9:29 AM
My bet is they're probably pretty crapped up - do they mention bore condition? Pretty much everything on the Enfield is readily replaceable, but a lousy bore would be a deal killer for me.

They don't mention anything about the bore condition. In fact, they don't mention much about the conditional at all. They only have "good condition, cracked stock" listed along with the dimensions and some basic specs of the rifle.

From CAI website:
Manufactured in the United Kingdom. 10 rd. detachable mag. Barrel 25.2", Overall: 44.5", Weight 9.1 lbs. Condition: Good w/ Cracked Stock.

courteousgavin
04-10-2010, 2:01 PM
Here is a link to Century's condition codes... http://www.centuryarms.biz/ConditionCodes.asp ...Their description of good is:

Good

25-50% Blue remaining.

Stocks marred several dings in wood.

Bores slightly worn and dark.

No corrosion that will interfere with proper functioning.

Complete and in working condition.

Good with cracked stock is about the lowest rating you will ever see them offer, except for the occasional "U-Fix-Em" rating.

iareConfusE
04-10-2010, 5:09 PM
Here is a link to Century's condition codes... http://www.centuryarms.biz/ConditionCodes.asp ...Their description of good is:

Good with cracked stock is about the lowest rating you will ever see them offer, except for the occasional "U-Fix-Em" rating.

I saw their condition codes and what they meant, but I wanted to see if anyone had personally purchase one of these $150 Enfields from them and how they turned out when they received them.

Noonanda
04-10-2010, 6:38 PM
they grade em fairly accurately never really gotten any milsurp that was graded wrong, or if there was a problem they will fix it. now remember this, Centurys "good condition" is SOG's "Very good condition". they just regrade the Century stuff.

iareConfusE
04-10-2010, 7:02 PM
Hm... should I push the button on this Enfield then?

One of the things that's troubling me is that everywhere else, either from a private party or other distributors/importers, the same Enfield is selling for around $300-400 in the same condition. $150 just sounds too good to be true for a rifle in similar condition.

Noonanda
04-10-2010, 7:27 PM
if you have the money to spare, you may want to buy 2 and keep the best one

rjf
04-10-2010, 7:38 PM
I have not purchased an Enfield but have experience with the "good with cracked stock" rifles. A couple years ago they offered 3 Steyr M95s "good with cracked stock" for $149. They were dirty and the only the hand guards had one minor crack easily repaired. Bores were excellent on 2 of 3 and the third cleaned up after 20 rounds.

If you want an Enfield, buy one and return it if you don't like it, sell it FTF to someone here in CA and try for another. It's not too good to be true.

dfletcher
04-11-2010, 4:05 AM
Just my approach, but on a gun that routinely uses corrosive ammo I won't buy unless I can check the bore first - I'm afraid someone at some point treated the gun the same way I treated my issue gun. :(

Sampachi
04-11-2010, 2:43 PM
If you are collecting, always go for the best money can buy. If you want a shooter that you don't mind getting scratched, then $150 isn't that bad. I doubt it will be as bad as my $125 Israeli Mauser.

wolff
04-16-2010, 10:15 PM
I bought 3 Enfields from Century - but it was about 15 years ago. I'm gettin' old!

Do they mention who made them, or will they let you hand pick a mfgr?

I have one of those black polymer hunting stocks on mine right now - it looks OK, and dresses it up, plus drops a bit of weight too.