PDA

View Full Version : Are Taxi Drivers Allowed To Carry Concealed?

bluestaterebel
02-19-2006, 12:24 AM
Hello, New To Calguns....i Know That You Are Not Allowed To Carry Concealed Handguns In A Vehicle...but The Law States That You May Carry Concealed At Your Place Of Business. For My Dad, His Taxi Is His Place Of Business. He Works In Los Angeles And I Wouldnt Be Comfortable Doing Waht He Does Without A Peice.

Stanze
02-19-2006, 12:56 AM
I don't think his cab makes him exempt from the requirement to transport unloaded in a locked container. He should apply for a CCW, his business may satisfy CA's asinine "needs" requirement.

If he does pack without a CCW and is caught, if the gun is registered to him, and he's not a gang member it's a misdomeaner.

http://www.packing.org/state/california/#statecar_law

I know a cab-driver who was robbed by two perps, they shot him 3 times, he returned fire with his gun sans CCW, and wounded one, he almost bleed to death at the scene. No charges were filed against him for defending himself. Each case is different, and the same cab driver had plenty of horror stories of nasty things done to cab drivers.

Good luck.

bluestaterebel
02-19-2006, 1:17 AM
pretty hard to get a ccw in the city of angels....he has been robbed and carjacked at gunpoint....and has known other cabbies that have been killed...that would be enough for me to risk a misdemeanor. but my dad is a law abiding kinda guy. and would be afraid of getting arrested for anything...another example of law abiding citizens getting screwed :mad:

Stanze
02-19-2006, 1:21 AM
Has he applied for a CCW and been turned down? His line of work and previous crime victim experience "should" get him one with their logic. Possession of large amounts of money or valuables seems to qualify more than wanting to defend yourself. Go figure.:rolleyes:

Did you know a rifle or shotgun can be transported without a locked container as long as it's unloaded?

I'd at least wear my ballistic vest and carry a knife and pepper spray.

ADDICTEDto.223LOWERS
02-19-2006, 2:20 AM
i used to fix taxi cabs in oakland... every couple weeks there would a be cab driver that would bring his cab in with holes through the windows or the doors and a very interesting story... cab drivers should all get metals for what they do :o

m1371
02-19-2006, 5:02 AM
Hello, New To Calguns....i Know That You Are Not Allowed To Carry Concealed Handguns In A Vehicle...but The Law States That You May Carry Concealed At Your Place Of Business. For My Dad, His Taxi Is His Place Of Business. He Works In Los Angeles And I Wouldnt Be Comfortable Doing Waht He Does Without A Peice.

In Sheriff Baca's world, the citizenry has no need for a CCW permit.

Most of what "normal" people would consider as just cause for issuance of a CCW in Kali isn't good enough in LA county.

I hate to be pessimistic about it, but you might as well not even try for a CCW in LA county. Until they get a new sheriff with a pro-citizen agenda and not one who is bowing to the political climate in LA county, applying for a CCW is a waste of time.

anothergunnut
02-19-2006, 9:42 AM
I'm with Sheriff Baca in that people don't need a CCW; they should be able to carry concealed weapons without permission from the government. I remember reading the arguement about a taxi being a place of business and no CCW being needed. It didn't work for the person being arrested. Unfortunately I have no recollection of the context.

jp.cherokee
02-19-2006, 9:55 AM
Get him a Taser... Non-lethal and legal to carry...

http://www.taser.com/self_defense/index.htm

http://www.goyk.com/video.asp?path=562

grammaton76
02-19-2006, 1:07 PM
Might want to consider getting him to upgrade the driver's window to bulletproof glass. I realize it would be expensive, but compared to wearing a vest all the time it would probably be pretty comfy. Maybe look at averages of where people tend to shoot at on cabs, and reinforce those areas?

m1371
02-19-2006, 10:06 PM
I'm with Sheriff Baca in that people don't need a CCW; they should be able to carry concealed weapons without permission from the government. I remember reading the arguement about a taxi being a place of business and no CCW being needed. It didn't work for the person being arrested. Unfortunately I have no recollection of the context.

Dude, let me clarify my statement concerning Sheriff Baca. Then you can decide if you're still "with him" or not.

Sheriff Baca doesn't feel the general citizenry should have CCW permits issued. In his mind this reduces the number of firearms on the streets of LA county, therefore crime will go down. It's not about being able to carry without permission from the govt. It's about firearm ownership. He doesn't believe the general citizenry should have firearms, only the LE agencies.

Are you still "with" Sheriff Baca on the anti-CCW agenda?

BTW, just to give you an example..... Sheriff Baca (LA County) vs Sheriff Carona (Orange County) on the CCW issue:

http://www.fulldisclosure.net/flash/VideoBlogs/VideoBlog3.php

HKdude
02-19-2006, 10:47 PM
For what its worth, I was a cabbie for 5+ years. Plenty of horror stories...but a very interesting job. Anyway, I got in a BAD accident, and when the local pd showed up, I told him about my pea shooter. I wanted to make sure some tow truck driver didn't steal it, since I was taking an ambulance ride. The cop took it without asking me any questions. Three days later he showed up at my house and gave me my gun back. He said he wouldn't drive a cab without a pea shooter either.

Steve

Paladin
02-22-2006, 11:05 AM
If he does pack without a CCW and is caught, if the gun is registered to him, and he's not a gang member it's a misdomeaner.

http://www.packing.org/state/california/#statecar_law.

You should mention that it is a misdemeanor only for the FIRST time you are caught carrying w/o a license. After that it is a felony.