View Full Version : .22LR Lever-Action Rifles, talk to me.

02-18-2006, 11:04 PM
My wife wanted a .22LR Bolt-Action rifle, but she's left-handed, we may order a left-handed bolt-action rifle someday, but in the meantime she expressed interest in a .22LR lever-action. I did some research and found some nice ones made by Henry and Marlin. Anyone here own these type of rifles? I don't have much experience with them.

02-18-2006, 11:33 PM
Why not get a Savage 93 LH, or Mark II LH? They both run about $200.

Either one brand new would be cheaper than a used .22LR lever action.

02-18-2006, 11:42 PM
We drove around town the few nights looking for CZ LH and Savage LH, no one had em' in stock. A friend has a right-handed CZ which is a beautiful gun. She wanted a CZ LH, but when we heard about the $200 Savage, she wanted to handle it first, alas...the shops we went to didn't have any RH Savages. Someone was handling a lever action which peaked her interest because it's "amidexterious". Seems that our CA oppressors also permit over 10 round mag capacity in the .22 tube fed lever action rifles.:rolleyes:

02-19-2006, 1:12 AM
I've got a older Marlin 39A, a older model, 20" barrel and straight grip. Absolutely fantastic gun. All steel and wood. Breaks down into two parts without tools. Magazine holds 15 LR rounds. Ejects on the right side. Newer ones have longer barrel and pistol grip stock.

Henrys are nice, less expensive construction. Reciever looked cast, don't know from what. Some plastic parts. Very smooth action, nicely priced. Haven't actually shot one. Looks like it may be a top ejector, or maybe angle eject.

Browning BL-22s out there are pretty slick, too. Haven't seem many around. I believe aluminum reciever, lighter weight. Right ejecting.

Winchester's .22 leverguns have been discontinued about a year ago, but a few may be around, probably at premium prices.

Ruger's .22LR levergun has been discontinued, but is a interesting beast, looking more like a lever 10/22 than a cowboy gun. Uses a 10/22 removable magazine. Right ejecting.

Other possibilities: Henry and Taurus make pump action .22 guns. I've seen the Taurus pump carbine. Looked VERY nice and easy to handle. Steel and wood.

02-19-2006, 8:11 AM
I have had both the Marlin 39 and the Browning BL-22 (left handed myself, as well as a cowboy gun buff). Either one is great, but cost is likely to be at least as much as the CZ, if not higher.

The Marlin is meant to be taken down into two sections, which is great for cleaning and transportation. The little Browning is beautiful, and slightly more petite, but a real cast iron beeyatch to dissasemble and re-assemble. The Brownings also have their typically very high gloss finish, which some folks don't care for. The Marlins seem to hold their resale value a bit better than the Brownings. I see three times as many used Brownings for each Marlin, but neither is that common used.

My two cents.

02-19-2006, 9:12 AM
I think the lever action tends to be more classic, but it depends on what you want to do. If you will scope it and shoot off a bench, go with a bolt action...if you are going to plink, mess around, etc., levers are fun...check out CDNN for good prices on some good quality lever actions (Win, Browning).

I have a $200 Savage 93 in .17hmr, and I love it, but the quality and fit and finish is toy-like compared to more expensive guns (what do you expect for $200?)......Also, those Taurus pump guns are fun too! I think they have them in CDNN.

02-19-2006, 10:08 AM
If you want an inexpensive lever-action .22, it's hard to beat the Henry. My dad has a Golden Boy, which costs more than the standard model, and it's a great shooter, though I don't like the buckhorn sights that much.

If you want to pay more, the Browning BL-22 is a great gun - very smooth, short throw, great quality. They tend to have short stocks, as many of the .22s do.

Other popular ones are the Winchester 9422 and the Marlin 39a.

02-19-2006, 10:44 AM
I have a Henry Lever Big Loop Carbine, an excellent firearm with a buttery smooth action never a problem with well, well over 5k rounds, superb accuracy and great customer service. They also make as said the Goldenboy that is more period realistic and has a better finish. You can't go wrong with a Henry and they're inexpensive too.

Course you might want to get a Winchester 9422 while you still can. The Marlin 39A is beautiful but I can't attest to it's abilities.

02-19-2006, 11:24 AM
The Marlin 39A is a great gun, and probably the least expensive of all the models here... a used minty one will run you $200-$275... the earlier ones fetch more.

If you can touch a 9422 for under $450-500, go for it, they're OOP and even used Winchester rifles will probably jump in price some before years end. BL22's aren't cheap either... nice ones will be in the $350-$450 range.

I like the Henrys, but a Golden Boy will easily run ya $400+ brand new.

Mesa Tactical
02-19-2006, 1:00 PM
A few years ago I walked into a gun store intending to buy a Marlin 39A. The salesman asked me if I had ever tried the action on a Henry, and pulled a Henry Golden Boy down from the rack. It is the smoothest lever action I have ever felt, and makes my Winchester 94 feel like broken lawnmower by comparison.

I bought the rifle and it remains one of the highlights of my collection. Smooth action, good looks, gorgeous walnut stocks. I don't like the buckhorn sight, but boy can I shoot well with it. It's a comparitively heavy rifle for a .22, and so you can get a little tired of shooting it after a while. But other than that it's an absolutely superb rifle, and a hell of a lot of fun.

I need more firearms like I need more nostrils, but I would someday like to get a Henry Big Boy in .44 Magnum.

02-19-2006, 7:04 PM
I love my 9422 smooth action and never had any problems awsome shooter.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid201/pb273e1e7ac0c45515923440ef66cf2d6/f01c56ea.jpg :D

02-19-2006, 8:50 PM
Wow! Thanks for the replies everyone!!! This will be very helpful in deciding what to buy. Thanks again.:)

02-20-2006, 10:00 AM
I've got a Golden 39A Mountie and I'll tell you that there isn't another rifle in the world that balances better. Love it. My brother has a Win9422 and it's a good rifle. The Marlin is a bit handier.

Sporting a Williams receiver mounted peep.