PDA

View Full Version : San Jose Second Saturday event tomorrow

Asphodel
04-09-2010, 8:02 PM
Hello, Calguns people,

We'll be doing the regular Second Saturday 'newbie shoot' tomorrow, beginning at 1400-ish (2PM or thereabouts), at the old San Jose 10th St. range.

Please, please, bring some 'newbies'.....also, if you could bring some potluck munchies or pizza for everyone, that would be appreciated. Hopefully, the weather will be nice enough next month that we can start doing barbecue again.

Would someone, please, please, bring a nice pie for the 'pie shoot?

cheers

Carla

howard81
04-10-2010, 10:17 AM
hi carla! Alice and I will bring a good pie!

kperry
04-10-2010, 3:42 PM
Just wanted to thank Carla for setting this up - went by for a while with Wife and Daughter. Had a great time, for Daughter's second time out shooting, and first time holding a rifle.
We didn't stay long, my wife wasn't feeling good today, and didn't want to tire out the kiddo. The 'newbie shoot' is a great idea, and if there's anything I can do to help get some reactive targets out there that the range would allow...
She's got a great idea for a .22 'shooting gallery' sort of setup - and anyone who drives a Series Land Rover is all right by me.

sirgiles
04-10-2010, 7:35 PM
it was nice to be there today. more power to you, Carla.

Gio
04-10-2010, 7:38 PM
Sorry I missed this event again, it was my nephew's birthday party today :( Hope to be there next time ;)

Carla, I am glad to hear you were back today. Take care,

-Gio

diginit
04-10-2010, 8:52 PM
I missed it... I'm bummed... Had fun at the Panoche cleanup though. It was suprisingly clean and we had a great shoot.
Glad to see you're back in 4th gear, Hittin 65 mph over the bumps again Carla. I'll try to attend the next one. A neighbor wants to bring her daughter and I think you three will get along well.

Asphodel
04-11-2010, 6:20 PM
Hi, James,

Put in those terms, I'm in low range, running on two cylinders, with a third cylinder firing intermittently, at the moment, but still moving forward, albeit slowly.......it may be awhile yet til I'm back with all four cylinders firing, and in high range again.

Our old Land Rovers are a good metaphor, tho.......homely, slow, and occasionally wanting a bit of mending, but they keep on going.

cheers

Carla

diginit
04-12-2010, 7:46 PM
Just keep it in 4L and you'll make the climb.:driving:

Sajedene
04-12-2010, 9:00 PM
:shock: I missed this! I was up in San Jose that weekend :(

Asphodel
05-07-2010, 12:37 AM
Hello, Calguns people,

Once again, the second Saturday 'newbie shoot' will be happening, this coming Saturday.

From a look at the weather forecast, it won't be really warm enough outside for conversation/barbecue, so who will bring pizza, pot-luck munchies, or ????

Could anyone bring any small spinner, silhouette or reactive targets suitable for 22's?

And.......its beginning to become a 'tradition' by now (well, a low-order 'sort-of' tradition, anyway) .....could someone please bring a nice pie.

cheers

Carla

RogueSniper
05-08-2010, 4:41 PM
Big Sistah and I plan to be there tonight.

For Howard81, I'm bringing my 44Magnum Derringer (Gallery loads, but a little hotter than 44Spl). You asked for it, so I'm bringing the PAIN!:12:

sirgiles
05-08-2010, 6:18 PM
http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/uu119/sirgiles_photo/leupold%20ar%20scope/10st/IMG_0647.jpg
http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/uu119/sirgiles_photo/leupold%20ar%20scope/10st/IMG_0648.jpg

Gio
05-08-2010, 6:22 PM
Once again, I missed out :( Did Mother's Day Dinner today instead. Take care,

-Gio

howard81
05-09-2010, 8:14 AM
HI all another fun sat event! Thanks Carla.

Jason.........Its your fault. Now I have to find a 44mag derrianger

SERPENT
05-13-2010, 10:08 PM
No wonder why I never heard of this range, 22 rifles only???

RogueSniper
05-13-2010, 11:24 PM
.22 Rifles and non-Magnum pistol rounds. We sometimes bring along a shotgun or two for later in the evening. Zombie targets and a 12GA makes a good mess.

diginit
05-31-2010, 6:56 PM
So... The next 2nd Saturday? June 12th?

davhed
06-02-2010, 10:05 AM
Oh this sounds so cool! My wife and I are pretty much newbies, but live in San Jose, so we'll try and make a future event.

Asphodel
06-06-2010, 4:17 PM
Hi, James, and everyone,

Yes, we'll be doing the regular second Saturday event on this coming Saturday, the 12th.

I'll bring the barbecue, and charcoal, Dean and Sue DePasquale have volunteered to do the cooking.....now that the weather has become nice, we can have a bit more of a social event, as well as some shooting. I'll provide the coffee, will anyone bring an ice chest with bottled drinking water, maybe some sodas, whatever?

And.........once again.......will someone please bring a nice high quality pie for the 'pie shoot'?

cheers

Carla

RogueSniper
06-10-2010, 5:36 PM
I'll be at the range this Saturday (6/12). Who's coming and who's bringing new shooters? Big Sister can't make it, but Mom's coming to shoot.

wikidklown
06-10-2010, 6:47 PM
.22 Rifles and non-Magnum pistol rounds. We sometimes bring along a shotgun or two for later in the evening. Zombie targets and a 12GA makes a good mess.

Are buckshots and slugs allowed?
When you say non-magnum pistol rounds, .45ACP and 9MM rifles allowed as well?

Gio
06-10-2010, 6:49 PM
I should be there this saturday, have not been in months :(

RogueSniper
06-10-2010, 9:09 PM
Are buckshots and slugs allowed?
When you say non-magnum pistol rounds, .45ACP and 9MM rifles allowed as well?

Buckshot - good
Slugs - may be bad, I think they have too much energy and can FUBAR the backstop
45ACP - good
9mm - good

I have a 44Magnum that I reload to gallery velocity so it's more of a 44SPL. It still has the BOOM but no UMMPH.

I'll stop by Costco to pick up some cardboard for the targets. Can other people bring some big pieces, too? Cardboard and Big Markers are great for shotgun targets. I'll bring some old tennis balls and other plinky things to shoot that are not messy. I was at the SF PCBC (Builders Show) and picked up some stupid stress ball SWAG that needs an immediate insertion of a .22LR.

Did anyone see my posting on the CCI Target offer? (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=306884) If we get a couple of these Duraseal targets, we can use them for the shoot.

RogueSniper
06-11-2010, 4:18 PM
I got the cardboard and plinky things. Are we BBQing?

diginit
06-11-2010, 5:28 PM
A couple newbies said they would show up. We'll just have to wait and see. I have some sodas and water with ice and chest. Got Meat?

Asphodel
06-12-2010, 10:22 AM
A last minute 'hello, all'....

Yes, we're doing barbecue today, courtesy of Sue and Dean........ : )

cheers

Carla

sirgiles
06-13-2010, 2:36 PM
roguesniper,

thanks for letting me shoot your 44mag. great zombie blaster.

Gio
06-13-2010, 2:40 PM
Nice seeing you again Giles :) Also it was a nice day yesterday, plenty of good food and drinks and the people there were fun to hang out with as well.

diginit
06-13-2010, 9:44 PM
I couldn't believe the amount of food! Thanks for the burgers, Sue & Dean. Very nice to meet you. It was really nice to see Carla again. (The coolest rangemaster ever!), the rest of the regulars and one truly impressive lady that knew more about guns than I. Julia.
Sir Giles, I didn't recognize you without the uniform....but I knew I'd seen you before, somewhere...
Had a great time, But we need more new shooters here. Tell your friends about this newbies shoot. Firearms supplied with instruction and free ammo for new shooters.
FREE FOOD and sodas, Really good people with great stories and lots of great information!
How can you beat that?

davhed
06-16-2010, 3:15 PM
I was out of town at a bachelor party for my brother, so couldn't make it. My wife and I definitely want to attend one of these events. Please post the next date!!

Asphodel
06-16-2010, 6:59 PM
davhed,

As the event name says, its 'every second Saturday'.......barbecue only during the 'nice weather' months, tho......potluck/pizza/whatever during the cold/rainy months.

James,

I don't really know Julia, other than that she has been a participant at various range events, but I think I recall someone saying that she is a PhD. level engineering person......she certainly seems knowledgeable about small arms.....dunno what her specialty might be......some sort of munitions work, possibly????

And.......just a thought for anyone interested......at one or another of the upcoming Rifle Club Board meetings, I'll have to report on this event, and justify the use of range time, in terms of the public-service commitment of the Rifle Club.

If anyone feels that this has been a worth-while event, would like to see it continue, and is willing to write an e-mail which I can copy and present at a Board meeting, regarding the public-service aspect of the 'newbie shoot', that might help me with getting the other Board members to feel good about continuing this event when its reviewed by the Board. My e-mail address is carla.satra@earthlink.net

cheers

Carla

diginit
07-02-2010, 8:03 PM
Julia is a PHD that works for the Woz of Apple computers. Very smart lady. I really enjoyed talking to her. More than care to admit...Tall, But worth the climb....
Anyways... The next one is the 10th, right? My neighbor says she and her daughter will make it, But 2 months later, But that is yet to be seen...:(
How did the board meeting go? Thanks for all your hard work to keep this going!
James.

Asphodel
07-09-2010, 9:06 PM
Hello, everyone,

We'll be doing the Second Saturday event at 10th St. tomorrow, beginning at 1400 (2PM).....if I understand correctly, Sue and Dean will be doing barbecue.

As always, bring some newbies if possible, bring cold water/sodas, and potluck munchies, if you would, please.

cheers

Carla

howard81
07-10-2010, 7:56 AM
I will be there!

howard81
07-11-2010, 7:51 AM
Another fun sat. shoot!

sirgiles
07-11-2010, 8:17 AM
thanks for the chicken barbeque!!!

diginit
08-05-2010, 5:51 PM
I missed the chicken. My scope must have been off.... What are you doing this weekend?

Asphodel
08-06-2010, 9:38 PM
Hi, James,

I'll be working on projects at home (doing front wheel bearings and seals on one of my Land Rovers, and a couple of other minor bits of mending it needs) this coming weekend.

Weekend after that, Saturday the 14th, I'll be doing the regular second Saturday event at the range.

(part of every Saturday (1400-1700) at the range is 'public access hours', except that I was able to get the Club Board to allow me to incorporate the public hours time for the second Saturday into the newbies event)

Two of the remaining Saturday evenings at the range are used by the Action Pistol group, and the last Saturday is kept open for special events.

Sundays are open time at the range, or 'members' day'......if you are in a mood to do a bit of plinking on a Sunday sometime, let me know....... : )

cheers

Carla