PDA

View Full Version : Intrastate transfers

kalifornicator
02-18-2006, 8:50 PM
I want to sell a firearm to a friend who lives in the NorCal, and I live in LA. A PPT isn't practical because of the requirement to show up together at the FFL. Do I need to find an FFL in SoCal to ship to a NorCal FFL, or can I send directly to an FFL up there? Since this isn't a PPT, am I essentially selling to the FFL, who resells to my friend?

ohsmily
02-18-2006, 9:05 PM
I want to sell a firearm to a friend who lives in the NorCal, and I live in LA. A PPT isn't practical because of the requirement to show up together at the FFL. Do I need to find an FFL in SoCal to ship to a NorCal FFL, or can I send directly to an FFL up there? Since this isn't a PPT, am I essentially selling to the FFL, who resells to my friend?

You do NOT need to have your FFL send it to his FFL (that is a waste of money). You can ship the gun to his FFL, BUT.. you need to get a copy of the FFL's license in the mail or via fax before you send the gun to him, ALSO, if it is a handgun, you can NOT send it via the Post office, you need to use UPS, FedEx or otherwise. Also, declare that it is a gun to the shipper, but make sure they don't mark on the outside of the package that it is a gun. INSURE IT. don't bring it to the "UPS Store" bring it to an actual shipping office/hub (NOT a postal annex or some retail store like that).

rips31
02-18-2006, 9:17 PM
You do NOT need to have your FFL send it to his FFL (that is a waste of money). You can ship the gun to his FFL, BUT.. you need to get a copy of the FFL's license in the mail or via fax before you send the gun to him, ALSO, if it is a handgun, you can NOT send it via the Post office, you need to use UPS, FedEx or otherwise. Also, declare that it is a gun to the shipper, but make sure they don't mark on the outside of the package that it is a gun. INSURE IT. don't bring it to the "UPS Store" bring it to an actual shipping office/hub (NOT a postal annex or some retail store like that).
+1. never go to a store, always go to a ups/fedex hub.

depends on who your friend's ffl is. they may require the gun be sent from a ffl. ask him to check w/his ffl.

xenophobe
02-18-2006, 9:38 PM
ALSO, if it is a handgun, you can NOT send it via the Post office,

Well, an individual cannot send a handgun through USPS, but dealer to dealer transfers are alright. You need to go to the post office that you would normally ship from, fill out and sign a form stating that you intend on sending handguns through USPS. I filled out the form and submitted it for our shop, though some post office clerks may not even be aware of the form that needs to be filed with them or may not even let you.

bwiese
02-18-2006, 11:18 PM
And if it is a handgun, and you're not doing a PPT, it must be on the approved safe handgun list. (I believe actually the FFL could buy it, but he couldn't sell it to your buyer, which would make this whole situation moot.)