PDA

View Full Version : unlicensed hunting companion

picasso
04-09-2010, 4:07 PM
Can a friend go hunting with us without a hunting license? He'll just be there to call and help in hauling the animal?

Pace
04-09-2010, 4:11 PM
no, must have a license

jmzhwells
04-09-2010, 4:17 PM
A friend of mine did this same thing, got cited by DFG for not being a licensed guide.

professionalcoyotehunter
04-09-2010, 4:19 PM
Non hunting guest are fine to tag along. However they may not assist you in any way i.e. calling, spotting, shooting etc. I take non licensed hunters with me all the time to introduce them into the sport and have never had an issue as long as they do not have a weapon with them.

picasso
04-09-2010, 4:48 PM
Non hunting guest are fine to tag along. However they may not assist you in any way i.e. calling, spotting, shooting etc. I take non licensed hunters with me all the time to introduce them into the sport and have never had an issue as long as they do not have a weapon with them.

I'll take your word for it. But if he get cited you will reimburse me, right? *joke only*;)

My friend will not be a gun-toting person in the group. Jmzhwells reply is relevant. But he is not a guide. He will just be there as a "cheerleader":clown:
I'm trying to contact DFG to no avail. The web also generated zero returns of this inquiry.

*he's an adult over 21 years old.

5shot
04-09-2010, 5:08 PM
To be considered hunting, you would have to have a means of taking game, like a rifle, handgun, muzzleloader, bow, crossbow, etc.

Pace
04-09-2010, 5:16 PM
i was told by DFG that if a group of people are out pursuing game, then all must be licensed hunters. even if not all members have firearms or other weapons with them. then again, there is a high probably you will get different answers from different wardens.

Sig226
04-09-2010, 5:46 PM
Hunting is hunting, and fishing is fishing....But...

What you describe would be fine for fishing. (No pole, net, or spear of course) So I would be curious how/why a different determination is made regarding hunting.

Baxter
04-09-2010, 5:52 PM
He could always say he is hunting rattlesnakes.

Big O
04-09-2010, 5:59 PM
I specifically asked this of a DFG Ranger that visited my Hunter's Safety class. His response was, visitors are ok, but they cannot help with the hunt in any way, including the carrying of any hunting equipment, ammo, calls, etc. While it may be legal for them to carry a sidearm for self defense, he said that when they see people through binoculars it's difficult to discern intent, and because a sidearm is a piece of hunting equipment, it can create a situation and "it's best not to." His words, not mine.

duckman1
04-09-2010, 6:06 PM
Wardens can say what they want about what is hunting, the court will make the final determination. Just because someone is with you and carrying binoc's or a water bottle doesn't mean that the courts will determine you were hunting. A warden like a PO can site you for many things, convicting you is another.

oddjob
04-09-2010, 6:23 PM
Have your friend drag a video camera along (like on TV). That might do it. Ask F&G if a camera person needs a license.

picasso
04-09-2010, 9:03 PM
^^^That's a good idea. I can just tell the ranger that he's documenting the hunt with pictures to brag about in facebook.
But what if he got game blood all over his camo'd shirt, or worse he smells like deer or turkey? What will be the alibi?

professionalcoyotehunter
04-09-2010, 9:18 PM
He can hrlp skin and clean your game with no issues.

Whitesmoke
04-09-2010, 9:59 PM
I'd like to see them cite my 11 year old son for walking with me while hunting....I agree he can't help hunt though.

ar15robert
04-10-2010, 10:08 PM
When i go lobster diving and take a buddy along its fine as long as he doesnt take in any part of the hunting of lobster.Cant hel pchase out of a hole hold my bag,help measure or anything to do with the lobster.Got checked by a warden one night my response was he was with me just a buddy diver only and for my safety if something went wrong!That was all he needed to hear.Also another fishing trip i had my wife carrying my extra rod along a trail warden drove up asked for licenses i said shes only carrying it for me and showed my license he was cool with that said you have a good wife then asked if she caught anything she said nope just tagging along(an attempt to really see if she did fish which she didnt do anyways)Then left.

As far as hunting aint it safer to be in a pair??i dont see a prob either as long as this friend aint assiting you in the hunt(spotting,carrying rifle,calling,etc)

77bawls
04-11-2010, 12:48 AM
I read something somewhere about non hunters going with. IIRC there is a limit of how many can go with you. I think it's 2 per group of 4, but they can't call, flush, or help out in any way. I'll see if I can find the link.

mif_slim
04-11-2010, 7:42 AM
Humm, I guest my little son was breaking the law when he went out with me hunting. Lol.

How would we introduce the next generation if they have to be 12 n have a hunting license to be introdced into hunting? 12 year old can be a little too late for the appreciation of our sport.

taperxz
04-11-2010, 2:30 PM
This is all BS! I have my own property to hunt on and i still don't think that matters. A game warden would have to witness the non licensed person killing the animal in order to cite them! Yes a non licensed person can flush for you! Just bring a can of Alpo for them. Yes a non licensed person can carry a firearm as he is allowed to by either federal, state or local laws or subject to their restrictions. The non licensed person may not shoot the animal. Without the license the person would not have a tag or appropriate stamp anyway.

duckman1
04-11-2010, 3:19 PM
You don't have to be 12 to be licensed. All 3 of my kids earned their licenses before they were 12. You have to be 12 to hunt big game, at least in CA.

Rob454
04-11-2010, 5:24 PM
no, must have a license

BS
The person going with you cannot help you in and sure as hell CANNOT carry a gun WHILE you are hunting. he cannot spot, push or call any animals to you or for you.

He could always say he is hunting rattlesnakes.

Hunting animals even non game animals requires a hunting license. Im not exactly sure where snakes fall under a varmint law. Usually varmints are destructive to crops or farm animals. i guess you can hunt rattlers without a license but if you admit you are hunting is that gonna require a license now since you are in fact hunting?

taperxz
04-11-2010, 6:13 PM
I would like to see a warden prove the non hunter was hunting! A person in the United States of America can pack a firearm anywhere he/she wants to as long as they are within the federal or local laws of doing so! Pushing game? He was on a nature hike! Sorry Rob but you are wrong!!! Until you actually kill the animal, you have commited no crime. I want you to show me the in F&G code to back up what you are saying!

taperxz
04-11-2010, 6:15 PM
I can take people on my ranch and allow them to do what ever they want! Except hunt game without a license and tag or stamp! The game belongs to the state of California until a licensed person squeezes the trigger.

taperxz
04-11-2010, 6:21 PM
If i need help packing an animal out of a canyon, is that not part of hunting? I can ask a non licensed person to help me pack it out can't i? If i am hunting with my wife and she says look!! There is a buck!! Is she hunting? NO

picasso
04-11-2010, 6:37 PM
When i go lobster diving and take a buddy along its fine as long as he doesnt take in any part of the hunting of lobster.Cant hel pchase out of a hole hold my bag,help measure or anything to do with the lobster.Got checked by a warden one night my response was he was with me just a buddy diver only and for my safety if something went wrong!That was all he needed to hear.Also another fishing trip i had my wife carrying my extra rod along a trail warden drove up asked for licenses i said shes only carrying it for me and showed my license he was cool with that said you have a good wife then asked if she caught anything she said nope just tagging along(an attempt to really see if she did fish which she didnt do anyways)Then left.

As far as hunting aint it safer to be in a pair??i dont see a prob either as long as this friend aint assiting you in the hunt(spotting,carrying rifle,calling,etc)

That's actually a good reason. SAFETY! I can tell the ranger that my friend is there to look after us. (Meeeeeddddicccc!!! LOL)
For fishing, I know you can be in the boat, but not holding any rod whatsoever. I experienced this firsthand.

Rule .308
04-11-2010, 6:49 PM
My experience with game wardens has all been pretty good. They were all of the opinion that unless they actually caught you in the act that there was nothing that they could do. That is to say that unless they could definitively say who was on the gun, who pulled the trigger, etc, that there was not way that they could write you for it. I have been so far as to be pulled over while hunting coyotes at night and I was the knucklehead on our team that happened to have left my license on my dresser that weekend. It was not an issue for the warden because he could not put me together on anything and he simply asked that I send him a copy of it on Monday.

Funny as it sounds, collecting/hunting reptiles requires a fishing license and not a hunting license. In fact, that same warden that rolled us when I had no license said that he initially thought that we were in the act of "herping".

randy
04-13-2010, 3:23 AM
Of course you could move to Nevada and hunt yotes and rabbits and squirrels without a license.

Mountain Lions, deer, sheep require a tag and a license. Trapping requries a different license.

E Pluribus Unum
04-13-2010, 3:55 AM
My girlfriend goes with me every year... I have seen many wardens and it's never been a problem and I carry multiple hunting firearms.

Theoretically, they could argue that the M1A is mine, and the AR/Keltec/and .22 are hers, but its never come up.

I think game wardens are used to seeing non-hunting guests along for the ride.