View Full Version : Registered AW - Can you move in and out of the state?

02-18-2006, 7:40 PM
Last year, I asked the DOJ if handgun registrations will survive a move out of the state. (Yes)

Would the same apply to AW registrations? Meaning, can one move out of the state with a registered AW and still be able to bring it back later?

02-18-2006, 11:28 PM
In theory, yes.

There is nothing in statutory law to allow DOJ to cancel registrations (except criminal conduct leading to seizure, etc.) execept for your filing a "no longer in possession" statement due to your legal sale of your AW out of state or thru a CA dealer who holds an AW permit. (Regular CA FFLs cannot buy/sell/trade AWs.)

The 12280 charges are for possession of unregistered AWs, etc. While orig registration was apparently restricted to residents, change of your residency status will not void this. Registration just associates YOU and your AWs.

However, it'd be a real good idea to hold onto your paperwork and copies and keep it in a safe place (safety deposit box). The AW reg may be kinda/sorta tied to your DL or ID and if that gets cancelled, it might screw up their database.