PDA

View Full Version : Pig Hunting Questioins

thrumper
04-09-2010, 2:09 PM
I have always wanted to go hunting but never had the opportunity because no I knew growing up was a hunter. I know that you can hunt pigs year round in California, but again I don't know any one who hunts pigs and I certainly cannot afford to pay a guide to take me out hunting. I have done a lot of research on how to track and tactics of pig hunting but I don't where to go. Does any one know where a good place to start might be in the northern California area?

Any information would be most helpful.
Thanks

professionalcoyotehunter
04-09-2010, 2:11 PM
Fort Hunter Liggett is a good place to start. Contact Mwunsch.

Argonaut
04-09-2010, 2:30 PM
A guide is really cheaper (and safer) than trashing around on your own these days, you will have a chance to learn and probably bring home some pork. Lots of guys work for 300.00. It is really tough to hunt for a day for less than that anywhere by yourself and you will have access to private property where the pigs are.

gabe123
04-09-2010, 3:17 PM
We are in the same camp. I'm living in greater Los angeles area, surrounded by liberals, and don't own a pick up truck. Most people I know think guns are evil. I don't know of a person who would go shoot rabbit with me, much less pigs and deers.

Maybe somebody ( who is very responsible and knowledgable) can organize a weekend pig hunt, show the newbees what to do. I'm willing to join, and compensate him for his time

jltapia
04-09-2010, 3:22 PM
I have always wanted to go hunting but never had the opportunity because no I knew growing up was a hunter. I know that you can hunt pigs year round in California, but again I don't know any one who hunts pigs and I certainly cannot afford to pay a guide to take me out hunting. I have done a lot of research on how to track and tactics of pig hunting but I don't where to go. Does any one know where a good place to start might be in the northern California area?

Any information would be most helpful.
Thanks

Good luck man. I'm kind of on the same boat. Luckily not long ago I meet this guy who has a ranch here close to where I live. I go hunt pigs there often. As the matter of fact, i'm thinking about going today before the sun sets and/or early tomorrow morning. I haven't had much luck finding pigs because i still lack the skills. But i'm getting better. I got a pig the first day i was out there, but nothing else after that. I always have lots of fun with the ground squirrels.

jltapia
04-09-2010, 3:23 PM
We are in the same camp. I'm living in greater Los angeles area, surrounded by liberals, and don't own a pick up truck. Most people I know think guns are evil. I don't know of a person who would go shoot rabbit with me, much less pigs and deers.

Maybe somebody ( who is very responsible and knowledgable) can organize a weekend pig hunt, show the newbees what to do. I'm willing to join, and compensate him for his time

I totally agree with you. A weekend pig hunt would be great!

professionalcoyotehunter
04-09-2010, 3:33 PM

Tag along with me this weekend on a coyote hunt.

Super Spy
04-09-2010, 3:38 PM
Good luck man. I'm kind of on the same boat. Luckily not long ago I meet this guy who has a ranch here close to where I live. I go hunt pigs there often. As the matter of fact, i'm thinking about going today before the sun sets and/or early tomorrow morning. I haven't had much luck finding pigs because i still lack the skills. But i'm getting better. I got a pig the first day i was out there, but nothing else after that. I always have lots of fun with the ground squirrels.

You are lucky! If you ever want company, holler, Salinas isn't that far away.....

Pace
04-09-2010, 3:45 PM
there's always BHCR :25: LOL

spectr17
04-09-2010, 10:34 PM
thrumper, we have a Mentor Program on our website where we hook up the new folks with hunters who have been around awhile. Post up that you are after hogs and live in NoCal.

http://www.jesseshunting.com/forums/mentors-new-hunters-hook-up-here/

Also the guide idea is a good one IF the guide will take the time to show you how to hunt pigs. Many guides are there to get you a pig as fast as they can and skip over the teaching part. Ask the guide first if they will spend some time showing you the ropes.

thrumper
04-10-2010, 11:23 AM
Thanks guys, I will definitely check out that mentor program.

tpuig
04-10-2010, 12:55 PM
Wow, great info on the mentor board. How could I have missed that one...
Thanks

professionalcoyotehunter
04-10-2010, 10:06 PM
I am a coyote hunting mentor on here.

lewdogg21
04-11-2010, 8:45 AM
thrumper, we have a Mentor Program on our website where we hook up the new folks with hunters who have been around awhile. Post up that you are after hogs and live in NoCal.

http://www.jesseshunting.com/forums/mentors-new-hunters-hook-up-here/

Also the guide idea is a good one IF the guide will take the time to show you how to hunt pigs. Many guides are there to get you a pig as fast as they can and skip over the teaching part. Ask the guide first if they will spend some time showing you the ropes.

Great advice. I learned a LOT about big game hunting after hunting deer/elk with a guide (this is after 10 years of hunting). Things like tracks, wind, movement (lack of), when to be aggressive, How to walk,etc.

Hunting big game when you have an idea of what to do can be pretty damn tough. Now if your a total newbie well, I think you get the point.

Now if your going to a friends private ranch with plentiful game it can be easy. :)

tpuig
04-11-2010, 9:48 AM
Maybe even the Coyote Whisperer... ;-)

daveinwoodland
04-11-2010, 9:51 AM
And I wish you lived closer too

gabe123
04-14-2010, 6:12 PM
Tag along with me this weekend on a coyote hunt.

Thank you for your offer. That is very kind of you. I'm tied up this coming weekend. Please do let me know when you go out again. I only have a shotgun for a long gun, is it enough for coyote?

DirtyDave
04-14-2010, 9:47 PM
Thank you for your offer. That is very kind of you. I'm tied up this coming weekend. Please do let me know when you go out again. I only have a shotgun for a long gun, is it enough for coyote?

Shotguns are great for coyotes. Use #4 Buckshot or Dead Coyote T shot. The tighter the choke the better off you are.

ADAM
04-15-2010, 8:18 AM
fort hunter ligget has been over hunted its been dry last few years

mwunsch
04-15-2010, 10:13 AM
ill be there this weekend so Il llet yall know. Ill be there for turkeys and piggies. I was there 2 weekends ago and missed a turkey with my bow. there arent too many zones open right now and the last few weekends, there has only been 1 rifle unit open, the rest are archery only, shotgun,archery,muzzleloader. And many of them are park and walk.

Its been nice cuz adam is 100% correct, there is a lot of pressure there- if youre willing to walk with a bow, you get to see a lot of cool stuff. There is jusy way too many people at liggett who road hunt in groups with rifles. But it also beats watching TV.

I saw 4 turkeys, and about 40 does-(they were like cockroaches), and a bunch of fresh pig tracks in an archery only walkin zone. looking at the pig board 2 weeks ago, they still pull pigs outta there consistently

professionalcoyotehunter
04-15-2010, 10:15 AM
Take the whole arsenal with you and then hunt with whatever you can buddy.:D Good luck out there. I am trying to butter the wife up to see if I can go but I do have a coyote hunt scheduled.

Shoot-it
04-15-2010, 1:16 PM

:smilielol5::smilielol5:

professionalcoyotehunter
04-15-2010, 1:25 PM
Are you jealous again? I did not see your name on the mentor volunteers list on here?

kalguns
04-15-2010, 4:57 PM
Fort Hunter Liggett is a good place to start. Contact Mwunsch.

Agree

Sig_Shooter
04-15-2010, 5:25 PM
Guys,

I'm in the same boat as most of the noob hunters here. Professionalcoyotehunter, I'd love to tag along with you and learn a few things about coyote hunting the next time you go out.

As for pig hunting, I am completely game for getting a small group together and going out to see if we can find a pig. One of the main draw for me is just being outdoors. Let me know if anyone is interested.

professionalcoyotehunter
04-15-2010, 5:28 PM
I am headed out saturday if you want to tag along.

Sig_Shooter
04-15-2010, 5:42 PM
Saturday would be perfect if I can convince my wife to switch our Friday/Saturday plans. I'll send you a PM tonight after I make the necessary gift offerings to the boss.

spectr17
04-16-2010, 1:31 AM
fort hunter ligget has been over hunted its been dry last few years

When was the last time you hunted FHL? I guess we'd better stop killing hogs up there then if it's over hunted.

Shoot-it
04-16-2010, 11:15 AM
Are you jealous again? I did not see your name on the mentor volunteers list on here?

jealous of you LMAO :no::smilielol5:

Bajaracer
04-17-2010, 9:42 PM
I am headed out saturday if you want to tag along.

How did the hunt go today ?

I was out in Wheeler today (off the 33 / Ojai) looking for pig.

novabrian
04-18-2010, 9:34 AM
I want to go hunting sometime aswell. Lets get a noob hunt together.I live in Orange County.

clay32
04-18-2010, 10:00 AM
Put me down on the noob Hog-Hunt list, probably gonna have to wait until after Summer though. I had a spot on the Tejon Hog Hunt (May 14-16) but will most likely have to pull out due to financial/preparedness issues. Anyone Hunt Bryson-Hesperia? Any good?

5511speed
05-03-2010, 10:15 AM
Hi all, I would like help advice on where to go pig hunting in Norcal, I live n Sacramento area, would like to hook-up with someone to learn more about all the in's an out's of hunting pigs, your help would be greatly appreciated

Dekker
05-03-2010, 12:03 PM
I believe they like to be called BBW.....>_> Did I just go there?