PDA

View Full Version : Hunter safety course sign off?

ChrisO
04-09-2010, 10:36 AM
My lady needs to get her hunter safety course ASAP and is busy with work ALL the time. Someones gotta work since I got laid off :/ . Anyways we have a list of all the local classes and times but she just cant find the time. Now I know there are online classes and while I don't totally agree with the easy way out I have taught her gun safety and she has covered the hunter safety book numerous times. I'm wondering if there is any way she can do a online course and have the gun safety part signed off by a LEO say one that observed her firearms handling and safety? Any info would be appreciated to help us get on our way.

ChrisO
04-11-2010, 9:32 AM
Any info fellas?

zinfull
04-11-2010, 10:12 AM
If she can not spare time to take the course then she can not spare time to hunt. Suck it up and do the online and use the proper channels to finish.

jerry

edwardm
04-11-2010, 10:25 AM
Nothing wrong with the online courses, but all the DFG-approved ones that I know of (i.e. Coyote Point's) require you to show and take the test, usually on a Saturday or a Sunday, after doing the home study parts and preparing for the test.

I can understand not having time to burn a complete weekend for the course, but she should still be able to take and pass the test. I don't know of any LEO signoff/shortcut, but hunter safety is about far more than just demonstrating a minimal level of firearms safety competence. In fact, that was just one small part of it back in the 80's when I took it at the SF Police Academy.

So if she's as ready as you think, it will take minimal time and effort to do the online bits and sit a few minutes for the test. Then she's on her way and GTG.

My lady needs to get her hunter safety course ASAP and is busy with work ALL the time. Someones gotta work since I got laid off :/ . Anyways we have a list of all the local classes and times but she just cant find the time. Now I know there are online classes and while I don't totally agree with the easy way out I have taught her gun safety and she has covered the hunter safety book numerous times. I'm wondering if there is any way she can do a online course and have the gun safety part signed off by a LEO say one that observed her firearms handling and safety? Any info would be appreciated to help us get on our way.

ChrisO
04-11-2010, 11:04 AM
I have said it before on this forum and while I don't totally agree with the shortcuts either it is ALL she has time for. She has a busy schedule now but should clear up around deer season and it's hard to get a hunter safety course so close to deer season. I understand it's not all about firearms safety but she has covered the DFG book cover to cover. It's pretty much common sense with some bits thrown in. Just wasn't sure if you could possibly take a online class and then have the on hands part signed by a RO or LEO since my course required on hand weapon handling I figured there would be some need to show proper weapon handling. There are a couple classes next month in elk grove hopefully she can get the time...

trautert
04-11-2010, 5:19 PM
State regs are pretty clear. After passing one of the online courses, and there are three available, the student must attend a four hour session to review and take the final 100 question exam.
No way around that.

wjc
04-11-2010, 10:34 PM
make the time. They don't just cover firearm safety (at least, my instructor didn't)

tpuig
04-12-2010, 12:56 AM
I took the Hunter Safety course a couple decades ago and have hunted for many years, but have long lost the little HSC slip to prove it. I wanted to be able to hunt in other states, so I repeated the online course last year just to get a new certificate. Then I went to an 8am Saturday session for the session and quiz.

It's the same material. There are no trick questions or tough material. Most of it seems basic and common sense. I assume that they want you to sit in a classroom for four hours to make sure a buddy didn't do the online course for you. I would be terrified to hunt with somebody that didn't pass the test... ;-) Download the book and go over it with her over a week or two. Then she can take the online class, which took me about 3 hours.

It's about safety. Hard as it may be to schedule, it's worth the time.
Not sure where you're located, but some instructors will set up special appts. Might be worth a phone call to meet somebody in the off hours to take the quiz.

http://www.hunter-ed.com/ca/ $20 for the course and Pretest.
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/huntered/classes-home-study.aspx List of classroom sessions for the test....

edwardm
04-12-2010, 1:14 AM
Well, the other option is to see about getting an equivalency certificate from DFG. Call your local regional DFG office and ask. Still have to take a test and pay a fee, but it's about the quickest way I know of to get what you need.

I have said it before on this forum and while I don't totally agree with the shortcuts either it is ALL she has time for. She has a busy schedule now but should clear up around deer season and it's hard to get a hunter safety course so close to deer season. I understand it's not all about firearms safety but she has covered the DFG book cover to cover. It's pretty much common sense with some bits thrown in. Just wasn't sure if you could possibly take a online class and then have the on hands part signed by a RO or LEO since my course required on hand weapon handling I figured there would be some need to show proper weapon handling. There are a couple classes next month in elk grove hopefully she can get the time...

ChrisO
04-12-2010, 7:50 AM
I have too lost my HSC card so I will probably end up re taking it as well... I would rather just try and figure out the time then to tailor it all around trying to find a 4 hour class near us. I'll see what we can do... hopefully next month she will have some time for a class. I have been through hunter safety before years ago and like I said I understand it's not all about firearms safety but that is the most important thing while hunting is safety in general... Like I said she already has it all covered so the class would just be us listening to stuff we already know (as I would attend with her).

HokeySon
04-12-2010, 10:42 AM
Well, the other option is to see about getting an equivalency certificate from DFG. Call your local regional DFG office and ask. Still have to take a test and pay a fee, but it's about the quickest way I know of to get what you need.

This^^^^^^^