PDA

View Full Version : 20 or 30 round Magazines Legal in Calif.

SReagle
04-09-2010, 10:35 AM
1. Is it legal to Own "Not Purchase" 20 round Magazines (RIFLE)in California,
2. And if for any reason an Officer were to be in my home or anyone's home for that matter would it be a problem could they seize them (Pistol or Rifle mag of more than 10 rounds).
3. I cant think of any reason but is it legal for the Magazines to be loaded "in the home of course"(Pistol or Rifle mag of more than 10 rounds).
4. I have a Pistol I purchased in or about 1990 it came with a 15 round Magazine, and I also purchased 2- 18 Round Magazines at that time, do I need to purchase a 10 Round Magazine to shoot it at a Range.
5. Any thoughts on Transporting a Magazine (unloaded of course) of more than 10 rounds.

I thank all of you in advance for your thoughts & advice.
SReagle

Unit74
04-09-2010, 10:55 AM
4 seconds... that's all it took me to find this. Learn to search please......

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=124709&highlight=magazines

wadalaba
04-09-2010, 11:55 AM
Simple Answers:

1) Yes - possession isn't illegal
2) No
3) Yes - people do it all the time, you wouldn't want an empty magazine for home defense would you?
4) No
5) It is fine

Or this is what I have learned from several months of lurking...

lowracer
04-09-2010, 1:01 PM
Legal, but the rifle mags can't be used in a fixed magazine build (bullet button). You have to use it in a featureless rifle. Bullet Button + >10 round mag = Felony. Evil features are easy to replace, but the pistol grip's one of them and it's nontrivial to replace. There are several products on the market to replace the pistol grip.

desmark6
04-09-2010, 1:44 PM
There is nothing illegal about simple possession of magazines with a capacity of more than 10 rounds, and it is absolutely OK to use them at the range

SVT-40
04-09-2010, 2:55 PM
1. Is it legal to Own "Not Purchase" 20 round Magazines (RIFLE)in California,
2. And if for any reason an Officer were to be in my home or anyone's home for that matter would it be a problem could they seize them (Pistol or Rifle mag of more than 10 rounds).
3. I cant think of any reason but is it legal for the Magazines to be loaded "in the home of course"(Pistol or Rifle mag of more than 10 rounds).
4. I have a Pistol I purchased in or about 1990 it came with a 15 round Magazine, and I also purchased 2- 18 Round Magazines at that time, do I need to purchase a 10 Round Magazine to shoot it at a Range.
5. Any thoughts on Transporting a Magazine (unloaded of course) of more than 10 rounds.

I thank all of you in advance for your thoughts & advice.
SReagle

1. Yes, perfectly legal
2. No, unless they were there because of some type of weapons violation.
3. Loaded or unloaded no issue. There are just magazines
4. No need to buy new mags. Yours are perfectly legal to own and use.
5. No issue. But I would try and always go low profile, if for no other reason other than keeping prying eyes of any sort from knowing you have firearm related stuff in your car.

QuarterBoreGunner
04-09-2010, 3:31 PM
Try here and all your questions will be answered with a little reading:

http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/FAQ#Magazine_Questions

haodoken
04-09-2010, 3:50 PM
Remember...

1) No rifle magazines over 10rds in BB equiped OLLs (PC12276.1(a)(2))
2) 20 or 30rd magazines (you owned prior to 2000) may be used in FEATURELESS (no 6 "evil" AW features) OLLs (PC 12276.1(a))

Some folks think just because a OLL has a BB installed you can run 20 or 30rd magazines in them. You must resist this temptation! :) (10/20 or 10/30 magazines OK!)

SReagle
04-09-2010, 7:04 PM
Try here and all your questions will be answered with a little reading:

http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/FAQ#Magazine_Questions

thank you that is vary Informative sir, I think I will keep a bookmark of this link, thank you again.
SReagle:cool2:

Sniper3142
04-10-2010, 10:46 AM
I bought 2- 20 round magazines for a mini 30 back in 1992 if I remember correctly well about that time frame anyway and never purchased the mini 30, I recently decided to purchase a mini 30 so the mags are pre ban as i understand it but I purchased the rifle (mini-30) a few months ago.

So thats why the questions, I tried and used the search engine perhaps I should of kept it shorter.

don't know what BB equipped OLLs mean sorry I am not much on texting what is OLL's and what is BB

Thank You.

If your question is if you can legally use your old Large Capacity mags with your new Mini-30, then the answer is YES.

Unit74
04-10-2010, 6:55 PM
Hey Retired.....

Should we coddle him and all drink lemon-aid for asking the same effin question that has been asked one billion times in every single forum....

Besides, he posted it in the wrong forum and you didn't move it to California Handguns where it belongs....

chiselchst
04-10-2010, 9:34 PM
4 seconds... that's all it took me to find this. Learn to search please......

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=124709&highlight=magazines

I have to agree. So many topics have been so well covered previously, most of the info I need has already been discussed, and available using a search.

But thanks for posting...

retired
04-10-2010, 9:58 PM
Hey Retired.....

Should we coddle him and all drink lemon-aid for asking the same effin question that has been asked one billion times in every single forum....

You need to chill a bit. Since you were able to see the title of the thread before opening it, you just shouldn't have opened if it bothers you that much. Plus, the search feature here, unless one knows about oaklander's in the announcement section, isn't the best. He, being fairly new must not be aware of it. Also, he may not be using the Beta skin either.

Furthermore, there really isn't any reason to be rude to a new member; we are attempting to grow, not lose members.

Besides, he posted it in the wrong forum and you didn't move it to California Handguns where it belongs....

First, he obviously posted it here to get the answer from leos, who he probably thought would have the correct info. Second, when was it decided that you determined which forum a thread should be posted in. I do not see a problem with him posting it here. As I said, you shouldn't have opened the thread since you saw what the subject was.

Unit74
04-11-2010, 7:29 PM
First, he obviously posted it here to get the answer from leos, who he probably thought would have the correct info. Second, when was it decided that you determined which forum a thread should be posted in. I do not see a problem with him posting it here. As I said, you shouldn't have opened the thread since you saw what the subject was.

Wow... Your little piece of heaven interrupted. My bad. I just call a spade a spade. I guess I'll bring tee and crumpets to the next "Can I own this hicap" post which will be posted in ....5......4.....3.....2.......