PDA

View Full Version : 4/9/2010 Dog down?

professionalcoyotehunter
04-09-2010, 8:16 AM
No real exciting story for this one. I spotted a large male coyote on my way to work this morning and had my rifle in the truck. After I spotted this one I pulled onto the dirt road and drove about a 1/8 mile off the main road on my buddies PP. Took my rifle out and kneeled down for a 200 yard shot on shooting sticks. The coyote had no clue I was a threat and stood broadside the whole time with his nose to the ground not even looking at me. One shot right behind the shoulder dropped him like a bag of bricks. I had to boogey to work or I would have went home and grabbed my camera and took some pics.

I actually spotted another one not even a minute after I hit the main road again. It crossed right in front of me and stopped on the shoulder but I figured I would wait for another day to actually call him in.

Take care.

I am headed out tomorrow if anyone would like to join me and can take pics of a day old coyote if you guys want some pics.:D

I wanted the meat from this one but I had to leave him behind since I did not want him sitting in the bed of my truck all day.

Lyte-
04-09-2010, 12:35 PM
wait aren't you required to take it if you shoot it?

And why shoot it if you couldn't take it?

professionalcoyotehunter
04-09-2010, 12:43 PM
Why not. Most people leave them where they lay. It was on PP anyways so I called my buddy and told him where it was so he will skin and meat it out for me most likely if he has time.

Lyte-
04-09-2010, 12:46 PM
I duno I am not a hunter I was just asking. Just seems like a waste and pointless if your just going to leave it to the elements like that.

You did not mention the call to your friend to retrieve the body, you simply said you left it there.

Wing Nut
04-09-2010, 12:53 PM
Coyotes are a nuisance, and their carcass is food of other animals. I don't see much of a problem with it. Personally, I usually don't kill anything I don't plan on eating myself, but something will eat it.

gotime
04-09-2010, 1:03 PM
hey PCH I don't know if anyone has asked you this before, but have you eaten dog before? I'm really intrigued by your coyote jerky, but I can't get past the idea that it's going to taste exactly like how my pet dog Toby would taste. Is that weird??

ChrisO
04-09-2010, 1:04 PM
I'm tired of people crying about leaving yotes laying there. They are grossly over populated and cause A LOT of damage. When you have had a dog mauled by a pack of yotes you would understand. I shoot EVERY coyote I see and leave it laying. PCH is the only person I know of that actually eats the yotes. It is no waste if you leave it to the elements either life is a cycle it will feed another animal.

professionalcoyotehunter
04-09-2010, 1:09 PM
hey PCH I don't know if anyone has asked you this before, but have you eaten dog before? I'm really intrigued by your coyote jerky, but I can't get past the idea that it's going to taste exactly like how my pet dog Toby would taste. Is that weird??

It taste great.

rumblebee
04-09-2010, 1:29 PM
"Buzzards gotta eat, same as the worms"....Josey Wales ;)

I agree....non hunters should troll elsewhere...

Congrats PCH!

I'm tired of people crying about leaving yotes laying there. They are grossly over populated and cause A LOT of damage. When you have had a dog mauled by a pack of yotes you would understand. I shoot EVERY coyote I see and leave it laying. PCH is the only person I know of that actually eats the yotes. It is no waste if you leave it to the elements either life is a cycle it will feed another animal.

professionalcoyotehunter
04-09-2010, 3:48 PM
Thanks buddy. I cant really take credit for this one since all I had to do was see and shoot. It was kind of like a BHCR hunt.:D

Lyte-
04-09-2010, 4:06 PM
Okay first off no one said I was trolling or crying about him leaving it there.

I asked a question because to me it was wastefull as I know full well he does eat the yotes.

So seriously get over your selves.I didn't try to say what he was doing was wrong I simply asked why he was wasting something I know in the past he has. Said he eats. I don't hunt not because I am against it but because I don't have a hunting license or even a suitable gun to hunt with.

But you know what happens when you assume things.

professionalcoyotehunter
04-09-2010, 4:09 PM
I knew you were just asking. I have seen you on here quite a bit. If I had more time this morning I would have brought it home with me. Unfortunately I had to get to work.

Lyte-
04-09-2010, 4:52 PM
Okay as long as you understand my question then that all that matters thanks

professionalcoyotehunter
04-09-2010, 4:55 PM
Did you get to try some of my jerky yet?

rumblebee
04-09-2010, 5:06 PM
get over yourself... :troll:

Okay first off no one said I was trolling or crying about him leaving it there.

I asked a question because to me it was wastefull as I know full well he does eat the yotes.

So seriously get over your selves.I didn't try to say what he was doing was wrong I simply asked why he was wasting something I know in the past he has. Said he eats. I don't hunt not because I am against it but because I don't have a hunting license or even a suitable gun to hunt with.

But you know what happens when you assume things.

Lyte-
04-09-2010, 5:46 PM
Did you get to try some of my jerky yet?

No you had run out before I saw the thread (at least the time I looked at it I am not sure you offered some more since that time)

Call_me_Tom
04-09-2010, 5:47 PM
Congrats! I've been meaning to take a trip up north to go on a hunt with you...one of these days I'll make it up there.

professionalcoyotehunter
04-09-2010, 6:46 PM
I hope to hear from you soon. I seen another one on my way home from work. It was near the sheep herds.

Big Jake
04-09-2010, 7:48 PM
Awsome PCH!

Call_me_Tom
04-10-2010, 6:40 AM
PCH, at what range are you usually dropping dogs?

CavTrooper
04-10-2010, 8:33 AM
No pics?

professionalcoyotehunter
04-10-2010, 9:55 AM
No time. I had to get to work.

Annonymous
04-10-2010, 7:18 PM
PCH, are you still having success calling them in this far into spring?

professionalcoyotehunter
04-10-2010, 9:54 PM
This morning I called in 2 but I wont tell what happened next.

center_x
04-10-2010, 10:12 PM

Ill bet PCH missed :43: . . . . . . but hey, i called in a turkey this morning....but I wont tell you what happened next :mad:

Bigballaizm
04-11-2010, 7:49 AM
Camera phone man....
One of the advantages living out in the desert! Nice...

Shoot-it
04-11-2010, 9:22 AM

Oh no don't start telling story's now...........

I shoot some like that to find them in the open and take them out .I take a rifle with me when cutting alfalfa/oats they like to lay in it and hide.

professionalcoyotehunter
04-11-2010, 11:37 AM
Camera phone man....
One of the advantages living out in the desert! Nice...

I dont have a camera or internet capable phone.

professionalcoyotehunter
04-11-2010, 11:39 AM
Ill bet PCH missed :43: . . . . . . but hey, i called in a turkey this morning....but I wont tell you what happened next :mad:

I hardly ever miss but when I do I miss by a mile :D. I called them I am not the one who attempted to take the shots. The first one a rookie forgot to put one in the chamber and the second one the guy completely missed a 15 yard shot with a shotgun. You just really had to be there. We seen 1 more wondering off the side of the road but we were already back in city limits by then.

Cokebottle
04-11-2010, 11:39 AM
wait aren't you required to take it if you shoot it?

And why shoot it if you couldn't take it?
The 'Yote is a predator... Predators may be left where they lay.
The scavengers will take care of it.

taperxz
04-11-2010, 12:37 PM
Eating yotes!! Hmmm i have killed many many coyotes and let them lay. ( i have livestock) I have never seen a buzzard even touch one that i shot. If i can get to the coyote i just hang em on the fence for their buddies to see and smell. They get the idea.

theseacow
04-11-2010, 1:53 PM
Eating yotes!! Hmmm i have killed many many coyotes and let them lay. ( i have livestock) I have never seen a buzzard even touch one that i shot. If i can get to the coyote i just hang em on the fence for their buddies to see and smell. They get the idea.

the buzzards around here love em.

http://i622.photobucket.com/albums/tt308/fatseacow01/hunting/Feb30021.jpg

center_x
04-11-2010, 2:49 PM
I hardly ever miss but when I do I miss by a mile :D. I called them I am not the one who attempted to take the shots. The first one a rookie forgot to put one in the chamber and the second one the guy completely missed a 15 yard shot with a shotgun. You just really had to be there. We seen 1 more wondering off the side of the road but we were already back in city limits by then.

Oh man, thats awesome. I guess we all do it. I could only imagine :)