PDA

View Full Version : Any new VEPR owners here? Or other CA-legal AK variant owners?

TonyNorCal
02-18-2006, 12:35 PM
Hi Guys n Gals,

Have any of you received a VEPR, other complete CA-legal AK variant, or built your CA-compliant AK style rifle?

How easy/difficult do you find manipulation of the trigger to be without the pistol grip? I am imagining it's somewhat similar to an M96.

Have any of you chosen to run the pistol grip and achieve 12276.1 compliance by fixing the mag? If so, how easy is loading?

So please, share your ergonomic impressions...

And, overall quality impressions of whatever complete rifle/parts kit build you have will also be voraciously read...

50 Freak
02-18-2006, 8:49 PM
I would suggest a VEPR 308, preferably the older thumbhole stock one or the Super Vepr.

Import it into the CA with the receiver to your FFL and the stock to outside the state. Retreive the stock and fill in the hole in the thumbhole (again preferably outside the CA). Assemble it once the thumbhole has been filled. And what you have is a SB23 compliant rifle that is not listed on Kasler.

Will also work with thumbhole type non-listed AKs.

You will be stuck with a detachable 10 round AK (unless you were smart enough to put away a few 30 rounders prior to the mag ban.

BigMac
02-19-2006, 5:12 AM
I doubt filling in the thumb hole would make it BS 23 complient. Rememeber the tumor stock? DOJ said no to that one.

shopkeep
02-19-2006, 11:25 AM
I doubt filling in the thumb hole would make it BS 23 complient. Rememeber the tumor stock? DOJ said no to that one.

To my knowledge the Tumor Stock was a "yes". That's why they got so obsessive about the Kasler list.. because there were non-pistol grip legal configs.

50 Freak
02-20-2006, 1:57 AM

According to the DOJ's own definition of a pistol grip, simply filling in the hole in a thumbhole stock would prevent the thumb from grasping anywhere below the "imaginary line" below the trigger. Hence it is legal according to their own definition. How could the DOJ say otherwise?

-aK-
02-20-2006, 2:58 PM
Hi Guys n Gals,

Have any of you received a VEPR, other complete CA-legal AK variant, or built your CA-compliant AK style rifle?

How easy/difficult do you find manipulation of the trigger to be without the pistol grip? I am imagining it's somewhat similar to an M96.

Have any of you chosen to run the pistol grip and achieve 12276.1 compliance by fixing the mag? If so, how easy is loading?

So please, share your ergonomic impressions...

And, overall quality impressions of whatever complete rifle/parts kit build you have will also be voraciously read...

The problem I ran into is that in order to remove the pistol grip you had to remove the entire stock. Then the guy sold it before he could tell me if it met length requirements without the stock.