so uhm... how big are your ears?:p

donger
02-18-2006, 2:02 PM
so uhm... how big are your ears?:p

Big.

Just measured them, 3"x 1 3/4"

Mute
02-18-2006, 3:26 PM
The tightness can be adjusted. As to the size of the ear cups, can't really say. If you're dumbo, I don't think any one brand is going to help. I find that the Sordins are no larger or smaller than any other muffs on the market.

xenophobe
02-18-2006, 4:00 PM
See if you can find the Peltor Tactical 7s to try, they're the full size, stereo and really nice.

I have the 6s which is the thinner style, but if your ears stick out more than normal, they'll be pressed up on the inside, so the 7s would be a better choice in this circumstance.

handbook
02-19-2006, 5:04 PM
pad dimensions
height: inner 2 5/8", outer 4"
width: inner 1 5/8", outer 3"
depth: 5/8"

it should fit you, but might be tight
they also make a pair with a strap that runs behind your neck, instead of overhead.

donger
02-19-2006, 6:44 PM
pad dimensions
height: inner 2 5/8", outer 4"
width: inner 1 5/8", outer 3"
depth: 5/8"

it should fit you, but might be tight
they also make a pair with a strap that runs behind your neck, instead of overhead.

handbook, thanks for the info!

gose
02-19-2006, 8:46 PM
The Sordins arent that great. I would (and did ;)) spend the extra money and get the tacticals instead.

Mute
02-20-2006, 8:44 AM
The Sordins are hands down better than the Peltors. Peltors are good for the money, but it has the tendency to clip when loud noises occur.

xenophobe
02-20-2006, 9:30 AM
Yeah, but the Sordins are also $300 or so. You can get a pair of Peltor tacticals for less than half of that.

30Cal
02-20-2006, 9:43 AM
What are the Sordins rated to? I know the Tactical 6S is only 19NRR (most of the thinner electronic muffs have a pitifully low NRR). Good for casual .22LR shooting or hunting but inadequate for anything more.

Ty

30Cal
02-20-2006, 10:19 AM
True, but the lower cost and more common Tac-6's use limiting circuits rather than compression circuits. They make discussions at the range difficult during firing sessions.

Sometimes, depending on who you run into, that can be a good thing!

handbook
02-20-2006, 6:12 PM
when off, the SupremePro NRR is 18dB
when on, the attenuation varies from 38.7dB at 8 kHz to 11.1dB at 125 Hz

-hanko
02-20-2006, 8:53 PM
Yeah, but the Sordins are also $300 or so. You can get a pair of Peltor tacticals for less than half of that.
You gets what you pays for.

My hearing is a little fried already from a few concerts in the City in the 1960's; i'm going overboard maybe on hearing protection...I use Sorbins with foamies most of the time on the range. I've tried Peltor's & to me it's no question the Sorbins are worth the bucks. Customer service from these guys is absolutey first class http://www.csuk.us/

-hanko

TonyM
02-20-2006, 9:00 PM
Nobody else uses ProEars?

I've got a couple sets of the Dimension 1's and must say I am impressed with them. Talking while at the range is excellent, no choppy sound effects, the compression works well. Heck, while out at the BLM land I can be shooting and tell when I hear a truck approaching from quite a distance.

I got them at Midway with a coupon before for something like $175.

Oh, BTW: right now for the next 7 days there is a $15 off $150+ order coupon at Midway, use code " WEB150 " at checkout.

gose
02-20-2006, 9:58 PM
The Sordins arent that great. I would (and did ;)) spend the extra money and get the tacticals instead.

Ok, confused myself, of course I mean the Peltor ComTac, not Tactical.

xenophobe
02-20-2006, 11:05 PM
Oh, I'm not saying that the Sordins aren't worth the money... Quality hearing protection is definitely worth every penny. My sole reasons for choosing the Peltor 6s were it's size, and the fact they have a band that goes around the back of the neck instead of over the head.

They work just fine for me shooting all normal calibers, though they aren't great around magnum caliber rifles or anything with a loud rapport. I don't find the cutoff during fire to be bad, since most ranges don't allow rapid fire, I never have a problem having conversations.

jessegpresley
02-21-2006, 2:18 AM
Mepablu's are supposed to be better than Sordin, and they have a higher NRR rating. They also have silicon gel-filled padding.

Hold out for Mepablu's. I-Shot will be carrying them soon.

Review from militarymorons.com:

The MePaBlus do not have the ability to be connected to any communications devices or external audio inputs, and as mentioned before, are aimed at the shooter who desires comfortable hearing protection on the range. As far as sound quality goes, I found the MePaBlus to have more 'white noise' than the Sordins or Peltors and bit 'tinny'. But this really doesn't have any consequence on the range and conversations/range commands can be heard clearly. There isn't any 'clipping' or interruption of the sound that I dislike with the Peltor Tac6S.

So which to get? If you need comms or have to wear them under a helmet, then the MePaBlus are not for you. If comfort and the extra noise reduction rating are important features to have when you shoot (whether it be plinking, training, competition etc), then those are what the MePaBlus excel in.

http://www.sportshooter.de/upload/25b.jpg

http://www.sportshooter.de/upload/29b.jpg

http://www.sportshooter.de/upload/30b.jpg

gobabygo
02-21-2006, 7:40 AM
If you're going to hold out for Meplablu's, you might have to hold out for longer than you think. See this post by I-shot on Sigforum (http://sigforum.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/505108424/r/299102694#299102694): Bottom line - I will not stock any of the MPBs for now until they can figure out what kind of support they can provide us with regards to warranty and such. I had asked them to further test their ears and they haven't done any to date. If one of you had a problem with your ears, I will have to airmail/Fedex it back and they will replace one the same way. Just imagine the additional amount of $$$ plus time it would take to accomplish this since they are across the pond.

I have spoken at length with our European counterpart and they concur. Profit margin is already slim and if we get hit with a return, it will turn into a loss.

Mute
02-21-2006, 7:41 AM
The Mepablus are an excellent choice. I would choose the Sordin if I wanted something that might be abused somewhat out in the field, as I think it has sturdier construction and I prefer the way they give access to the battery compartment. Otherwise, Mepablu would be my first choice.

CaliTheKid
02-21-2006, 1:37 PM
I have the Sordins and the technology and durability is first rate and you really get what you pay for. As far as noise reduction qualities go, I double up with foam plugs as I have found they just do not reduce the noise enough without them especially at crowded indoor ranges. If they could get them up to a Leighting 31's in terms of noise reduction, they'd be unstoppable.