PDA

View Full Version : Trying to show a California individual he can ship a C&R rifle to me (I have my C&R)

nickarino
04-08-2010, 5:38 PM
I am looking at an online auction and after contacting the seller, who is an individual seller and from California, he is unsure about being able to ship the rifle to me. I have my C&R license and the rifle is over 50+ years old and on the C&R list. Is there a good link or readily available resource I can email to him to show him the legality of sending the rifle to me if I win the auction? I also plan on showing him calguns, since he is a fellow Californian who doesn't appear to know this great site exists:eek:

TRICKSTER
04-08-2010, 5:46 PM
Go to this link.
http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Buying_and_selling_firearms_in_California
See the area towards the bottom of the page titled
Buying from a Private Party WITHOUT a Dealer

RANGER295
04-08-2010, 5:58 PM
Does he have an FFL-01? If so, then he can not do it regardless of your C&R FFL.

Dr Rockso
04-08-2010, 6:02 PM
Does he have an FFL-01? If so, then he can not do it regardless of your C&R FFL.
This is true.

For the record you would not need a 03 FFL for this transaction to be legal, provided that he isn't a 01 FFL. I doubt that many people would ship a 50+ y/o long gun without the recipient having a C&R, but if both parties are in CA it's not illegal.

nickarino
04-08-2010, 6:08 PM

The seller is a private individual. As a result, it is legal for him to ship it to me and all I would have to do is record his information in my bound book, Correct?

TRICKSTER
04-08-2010, 6:48 PM
The seller is a private individual. As a result, it is legal for him to ship it to me and all I would have to do is record his information in my bound book, Correct?
Correct.

GrizzlyGuy
04-09-2010, 6:20 AM
You're both in California and it is a C&R long gun that is more than 50 years old. Per the FAQ, that would be a paperless transaction and neither party needs an FFL. He could ship it directly to you or anyone else in CA:

How do I buy a C&R long gun (rifle or shotgun)? (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/FAQ#How_do_I_buy_a_C.26R_long_gun_.28rifle_or_shot gun.29.3F)

Also here:

Buying from a Private Party WITHOUT a Dealer (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Buying_and_selling_firearms_in_California#Buying_f rom_a_Private_Party_WITHOUT_a_Dealer)

For a very narrow range of firearms, no dealer or license is required. An individual can purchase Curio or Relic long guns without using an FFL and with or without having a Curio and Relic/03 Federal License themselves...

M. D. Van Norman
04-09-2010, 7:33 AM
Itís always difficult to convince people about what is not illegal.

dfletcher
04-09-2010, 7:49 AM
Hopefully the info provided works, but if he does the "show me where CA law says it's not illegal" maybe (in good humor) respond that you'll mail him an ounce of gold if he can show you the CA law that says it's not illegal .... :)

prob
04-09-2010, 11:08 AM
Itís always difficult to convince people about what is not illegal.

That's for sure. Sometimes I can't believe the idiocy espoused by those who think they know the law.