PDA

View Full Version : Oakland's McCullough follow up story

rkt88edmo
02-18-2006, 9:08 AM
A NEIGHBORHOOD REBORN

A year after Patrick McCullough shot teen, Oakland's 59th Street has safer rec center, reduced loitering and fewer drug deals

Jim Herron Zamora, Chronicle Staff Writer
Saturday, February 18, 2006

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2006/02/18/MNG0EHB6VK1.DTL

Police said there has been only a modest drop in crime on 59th Street, but they said there has been a huge improvement in the quality of life. Clusters of young men no longer hang out in the street at all hours of the day. Residents are out and about. And the neighborhood has found a new sense of pride.

"The atmosphere has completely changed," said Lt. Lawrence Green, who oversaw police patrols in North Oakland for five years until he was transferred to the traffic division last month. "I'm not saying that 59th Street or the surrounding area is pristine. It's not. But you can really see an improvement on Patrick's street."

edwardm
02-18-2006, 12:52 PM
Mayor Brown plans to seek the Democratic party nomination to run for California AG.

Might I suggest folks write him a nice letter asking what his stand is on gun ownership, the laws as they are now in CA for gun ownership, etc, given that gun ownership made a significant difference in his crime-ridden town?

I did. I doubt I'll ever see a reply, though.

D.T. Rouland
02-18-2006, 1:51 PM
""The real changes are because of the drug dealers moving..."

and

"They've since moved to Fremont after receiving a $60,000 settlement from McCullough's insurance company."

Oh d@mmit. Maybe I can get myself a CCW now that this punk is in my town...

rkt88edmo
02-18-2006, 2:18 PM
Might I suggest folks write him a nice letter asking what his stand is on gun ownership, the laws as they are now in CA for gun ownership, etc, given that gun ownership made a significant difference in his crime-ridden town?

Well, he is probably an elitist CCW guy, since he got his buddy Jacques a CCW in Oakland, but I doubt he would be for issuing to us common folk.

jtyoshi
02-18-2006, 2:22 PM
You might end up giving that punk $100,000 this time...

""The real changes are because of the drug dealers moving..."

and

"They've since moved to Fremont after receiving a $60,000 settlement from McCullough's insurance company."

Oh d@mmit. Maybe I can get myself a CCW now that this punk is in my town...