PDA

View Full Version : Tools needed to put together a lower

calAWBsux
02-18-2006, 7:35 AM
Okay, before I attempt to put my lowers together, I'd like to know what tools I'll need. A very knowledgeable member here once posted a pic of all the stuff he uses to put together a WHOLE rifle, but I don't know if I want to put together the upper. The whole FSB alignment and barrle torque thing seems like a recipe for disaster for someone with very limited experience with AR's.

At any rate, can someone put a pic up of all the tools needed to put together a lower and describe each component?

Thanks.

C.G.
02-18-2006, 7:58 AM
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=226782

Prospector
02-18-2006, 8:06 AM
For the first time I'd suggest getting a complete upper.

The lower is easy to put together.

calAWBsux
02-18-2006, 2:33 PM
Thanks for the info. And by the way, I am gonna go with a collapsible stock by VLTOR.

morepoop4u
02-18-2006, 4:27 PM
+1 on what ted said however I used a pair of vise grips that were taped up to do the roll pins. Tape off the area and squeeze them in and finish them off with the punches. Its easier than fumbling with the pin, the punch, and hammer trying to get the pin started. Also for the pivot pin detent you should assemble it in a plastic bag. This way if that pin goes airborne you won't be on your knees with a magnifying glass looking for it. To make things simpler to install the pivot pin detent, you need to put a allen wrench in the hole where the pivot pin goes. Make it flush on the other side so that the pivot pin detent can rest on it. Next take the pivot pin and push the detent pin in while pushing down on it. It will slide in the hole and push the allen wrench out. Good luck with your build:D

C.G.
02-18-2006, 6:05 PM
About eight years ago I discovered that they made special punches for roll pins. They have a bump on the face of the punch that fits in the roll pin and holds it in place.
http://www.fultoncorp.com/images/609rlpnp.jpeg

Never knew these existed; not that I really ever needed them, but they are a neat idea that should make installation easier. Thanks for the info.:)

Fjold
02-18-2006, 6:08 PM
I use:

Two roll pin punches

Small hammer with a brass head on one side and plastic on the other

A screwdriver to fit the pistol grip and buttstock screws

A .020 flat feeler gage to hold the pivot pin detent and spring in while I slide the pivot pin in

And an allen wrench for the fixed mag kit.

morepoop4u
02-18-2006, 7:41 PM
Never had to resort to using vise grips to holding roll pins. All the lowers I've built over the years have bolt catch bosses with beveled holes. I just held the roll pin in the bevel with the punch with my left hand and wield the hammer with my right.

About eight years ago I discovered that they made special punches for roll pins. They have a bump on the face of the punch that fits in the roll pin and holds it in place.
http://www.fultoncorp.com/images/609rlpnp.jpeg

Recently I purchased a set of Schuster roll pin starters--two rods with appropriate sized holes drilled in the faces at either end to hold the four different sized roll pins used on the AR-15.

http://www.adcofirearms.com/acc/acimages/Roll%20Pin%20Starter.jpg

To finish driving the bolt catch roll pin I got a Schuster bolt catch roll pin punch (One side is flat).
http://www.adcofirearms.com/acc/acimages/Bolt%20Catch%20Punch.jpg

I'm just cheap like that:p

creampuff
02-18-2006, 10:54 PM
Also for the pivot pin detent you should assemble it in a plastic bag. This way if that pin goes airborne you won't be on your knees with a magnifying glass looking for it. To make things simpler to install the pivot pin detent, you need to put a allen wrench in the hole where the pivot pin goes. Make it flush on the other side so that the pivot pin detent can rest on it. Next take the pivot pin and push the detent pin in while pushing down on it. It will slide in the hole and push the allen wrench out. Good luck with your build:D

I didn't want to spend $6 on shipping and handling for a $6 pivot pin installation tool. So I dropped by the local hardware store (Orchard supply) and bought a 3 inch long, 1/4 in diameter clevis pin, with an 1/8 th inch hole. It cost I think a couple of dollars. This came in pretty handy. In case you are wondering what section has the "clevis" pins, they are usually found with the cotter pins.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j36/creampuff464/clevis.jpg

Henry47
02-19-2006, 12:30 AM
If you possess any manual dexterity, the front pivot pin can be installed with out tools. I've been doing it for years and have only lost one detent.

I just put my first lower together last weekend and had a blast with the front pivot pin. After 2 unsuccessful tries, the spring/detent flew pretty far and down the air conditioning duct. After an hour of searching I foudn it and was able to eventually put it in w/o any tools besides a screwdriver and some patience.

maxicon
02-19-2006, 10:15 AM
I'm good with tools, but I tend to be clumsy, and I always put my pivot pin detent together inside a plastic bag with the clevis pin installation technique.

Out of the 3 lowers I've assembled (and yes, they get much faster with practice), I've launched the detent pin into the bag multiple times on each. I do have a spare pin and spring that came with my first JT kit, but have always managed to catch the pieces, so it's still in the spares bag.

max

hiyabrad
02-20-2006, 12:23 AM
nice work guys

ldivinag
02-20-2006, 12:50 AM
for my 6 hour lower build (okay, a couple hours was worth playing DELTA FORCE: BLACK HAWK DOWN to get in the mood), i used a bunch of mini jewerly screwdrivers (one to hold the pivot pin detent), a cheap slip joint pliers to push the roll pins in and a wooden meat tenderizer to finish hammering the pins.

i didnt scratch up the lower that much... lol...

i almost lost the pivot pin detent.

the hammer and trigger pins were kinda easy to push in, but finished them with the meat tenderizer.

lots of militec to help ease them in.

oh, a bunch of used, old drill bits as a "punches"... gotta get a set of real ones...

still havent fully tightened nut on the stock yet. might have to buy that wrench.

Jon
02-20-2006, 1:09 AM
Well, I lost the pivot pin spring and detent. . .they flew off as a pair and into the wild blue yonder. I didn't have a clevis pin and used an allen wrench instead.

I got smart and threw a blanket over myself and finished the job with my second parts set (which is now one and a half :().

jp.cherokee
02-20-2006, 2:35 PM
Mostly on-topic... When does a lower become a felony? If you have a lower built with trigger guts and no magazine in the unit, is that a no-no? If I had a lower with guts on my desk for a paper weight, no mag, could I be sent to Sing-Sing. Should you first bolt the mag in before ANYTHING else? Thanks, inquiring minds want to know...:confused:

ldivinag
02-20-2006, 4:57 PM
Mostly on-topic... When does a lower become a felony? If you have a lower built with trigger guts and no magazine in the unit, is that a no-no? If I had a lower with guts on my desk for a paper weight, no mag, could I be sent to Sing-Sing. Should you first bolt the mag in before ANYTHING else? Thanks, inquiring minds want to know...:confused:

pistol grip + mag release button installed = felony.