PDA

View Full Version : Comment On M16A1-Style AR?

jyl
02-17-2006, 9:00 PM
I am thinking about getting an AR that looks like an M16A1. You know, the Vietnam-era rifle, with the carrying handle and the smooth, tapered foregrip.

Is there any disadvantage to that style of AR? I understand you can't easily hang accessories on it (no rails), and maybe not optical sights either, but I'd just use it for plinking.

shopkeep
02-17-2006, 9:08 PM
I am thinking about getting an AR that looks like an M16A1. You know, the Vietnam-era rifle, with the carrying handle and the smooth, tapered foregrip.

Is there any disadvantage to that style of AR? I understand you can't easily hang accessories on it (no rails), and maybe not optical sights either, but I'd just use it for plinking.

If you go to www.fultonarmory.com Clint at Fulton Armory sells the Vietnam Legacy AR-15 upper and parts. This is an authentic M16A1 setup complete with slick side upper (no forward assist) and original USGI spec barrel and triangle handguard.

Suddenly it's 1960! :D

kantstudien
02-17-2006, 9:39 PM
Better yet, why would you want to buy from a company that is unwilling to help out Kalifornia residents in their time of need? :confused:

Ford8N
02-18-2006, 4:44 AM

There is no disadvantage to this style. And the 12" twist barrel is ok with 62 gr. Wolf. For plinking it just fine. Really simple. Although, be prepared for comments at the range like "old skool".

superhondaz50
02-18-2006, 6:10 AM
A M16 or M16A1 style would be neat to build. if you buy a USGI kit, make sure the bolt and lower parts are not from an M16, if they are and you install them you can get into trouble.

donger
02-18-2006, 7:59 AM
Better yet, why would you want to buy from a company that is unwilling to help out Kalifornia residents in their time of need? :confused:

+5.56

I have purchased from Fulton previously but promised myself to never give money to that company again.

6172crew
02-18-2006, 8:54 AM
+5.56

I have purchased from Fulton previously but promised myself to never give money to that company again.

Yea, I cant see myself going out of my way to look at his website after reading the letter he sent Wes.:mad:

Shop LMT, Stag, RRA, for your Fixed 10 rounder needs. There were GI uppers on CDNNs website awhile back.

Walking Fire
02-18-2006, 9:03 AM
Yea, I cant see myself going out of my way to look at his website after reading the letter he sent Wes.:mad:

Shop LMT, Stag, RRA, for your Fixed 10 rounder needs. There were GI uppers on CDNNs website awhile back.

What did he(they) send to Wes???

donger
02-18-2006, 9:54 AM
Right here: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=184172&postcount=12

Turbinator
02-18-2006, 10:28 AM
How the mighty have fallen. Clint McKee had a very good name on rec.guns and elsewhere on the 'net. Too bad it came down to this.

Turby

TonyM
02-18-2006, 10:38 AM
How the mighty have fallen. Clint McKee had a very good name on rec.guns and elsewhere on the 'net. Too bad it came down to this.

Turby

Yeah, when that was originally posted it made it easy for me to decide to stick to LRB receivers for my M14 projects and not to buy from Fulton. If they get that scared from a phone call from an agency that holds no authority over them, I don't want their stuff.

Brent
02-18-2006, 1:39 PM
http://cdnninvestments.com/arsp1upnewco.html

I ordered one of these and it came yesterday, it's in great shape, only a couple of little dings, I just need to find some A1 furniture now.

dwtt
02-18-2006, 6:17 PM
Besides wanting the look of a vietnam war era M16, I don't see any reason to get a M16 upper. Those things were inaccurate with pencil thin barrels. You might as well use a Mini-14 to shoot.

BigAL
02-18-2006, 6:34 PM
Besides wanting the look of a vietnam war era M16, I don't see any reason to get a M16 upper. Those things were inaccurate with pencil thin barrels. You might as well use a Mini-14 to shoot.

Barrel thickness does not necessarily mean inaccurate. It will heat up faster but it will also cool down faster.

Sgt Raven
02-18-2006, 9:10 PM
The A1 upper rear sight is only adjustabe for windage. The adjustment wheel has five detent positions and requires a tool to move, unlike the A2 windage knob that can be turned manually. Elevation on an A1 is adjusted with the front sight.

You don't "need" a tool to adjust the rear sight, just use the tip of a cartridge to turn it. Altought the DI's in BCT used a M60 MG firing pin to adjust the sights on trainee's rifles back then.